FYERIL - Chapter 55 < Vulgar Music (2) >




'That's right.'

Edward thought, suppressing his joy. As expected, there must have been someone who recognized his talent. 

'I knew someone like this would come along someday.'

"Hmm. You have quite a discerning eye." 

"As you know, the music industry has become quite lax these days. Someone like you, the Count, needs to sound the alarm." 

"Ahem." 

Edward felt his neck stiffen and his shoulders straighten. 

"You're right. It's a shame to see such bizarre and childish songs becoming popular." 

"Oh, that aria that only talks about adultery... My goodness. Such polite gentlemen and elegant ladies singing such vulgar lyrics." 

The man shook his head. Edward gained more strength from that sight. The moment he first heard the 'Adulteress's Aria' in the Place de la Madeleine, he was shocked. Ariana's rough draft was so artistically improved that it was completely vulgar and childishly overhauled! 

In addition, it had a characteristic that was so unpleasant that it kept ringing in his ears, which he didn't like even more. However, the people of the island would sing such low-quality music whenever they were bored. It must have been because the junk food was more addictive. 

'Idiotous masses.'

They don't even know what real art is. 

"The masses don't know anything about art. But wouldn't the foreign dignitaries attending the founding ceremony be different? They will definitely recognize the Count's world of art." 

Edward opened his eyes wide. The man's words as if he had read his mind, struck a chord with him. 

'Yes, that's right.'

Up until now, he had been surrounded by people who didn't recognize his worth, so he couldn't spread his wings. Just when he was finally seeing the light, his evil sister ruined everything. However, it seemed that the heavens gave opportunities to talented people. 

Edward clenched his fists. The national foundation day is a dream stage for every artist. If only I could sing there...

"Oh, what is this beautiful and noble music? It feels like my ears are being cleansed!" 

"It's on a whole other level than the music made by a woman who has never properly studied composition!"

The praise of discerning foreign dignitaries was already ringing in his ears. They were different from the low-level citizens of the system and the students of the Ende Academy of Arts who had been young and ignorant. 

Yes. It was the perfect opportunity to take revenge on Ariana, who had stolen not only his orchestra but also his music score, and to set Edward's name straight.

"Thank you for readily promising to invest. Although it is shameless, I will gratefully accept your support." 

"I am truly honored." 

The two shook hands. Edward, who was shaking his hand up and down, suddenly asked. 

"By the way, you haven't even properly Introduced yourself yet. What is your name?" 

"Ah." 

The man smiled brightly. 

"My name is Leonard."

***

"Madam, madam!" 

Madam. Sophie ran over, shouting the title that I was still not used to. 

"They're all gone!" 

"Huh?" 

"Those mean servants who only flirted with Miss Elena and looked down on you!" 

Ah. I smiled faintly. Elena's close servants often used childish tricks on me. They would bring me a salad made of wilted vegetables, or they would secretly look me up and down when I passed by. Childish and trivial, but annoying. 

"I see." 

Edward would never have fired his servants and given them follow-up benefits. What would the servants, who were suddenly dissatisfied with their jobs, do after they poured out of the Lopez mansion?

The answer was obvious. 

"The newspapers and gossip magazines will be busy receiving reports for a while." 

I could tell without even looking at the front page of tomorrow's <Empire Morning>. 

"Madam. Um, and..."

Sophie lifted her toes, so I lent her my ear. I could hear a whispering voice next to my ear. I smiled broadly after hearing the story.

"I see." 

Edward called an Imperial Bank employee to his house and had him pick up the promissory note. 

"Yes. When he handed over the bill, he was so rude to the banker that I almost got angry. And then he suddenly threw a banquet and sent out a ton of invitations!" 

Sophie frowned as if it was strange. 

"Where did the Count get all that money? I heard he had invested somewhere. Did it go well?" 

I smiled faintly as I watched Sophie pouting. Even throwing a banquet. My brother seemed to be very excited after finally being able to breathe again. If you eat the bait too hastily, you'll get in trouble. 

"By the way, Sophie. If my brother cut so many servants, there's going to be a shortage of workers in the mansion." 

"Um, yes, well. That's true, but it's much better without Miss Elena." 

Sophie said with a big smile. Even if I said that, it would be very difficult. With the number of workers reduced and a hysterical employer. I said it sincerely. 

"Thank you so much for everything, Sophie." 

"Yes?" 

Sophie's eyes widened. 

"Madam, what is that...?" 

"From today on, Sophie, you should also leave the Lopez mansion." 

Sophie had been my eyes and ears in the Lopez mansion. While I was focusing on Lucas and Elena, I had to keep track of Edward's movements without missing a beat. But from now on, Wilhelm would be enough. 

"Be my real servant." 

"Oh, Miss!" 

Sophie's eyes sparkled as she called me by my old title as if she was very agitated. 

"I'll do my best to help you, Miss!" 

"I'm sorry I left you in the mansion alone." 

"Don't say that." 

Sophie shook her head and looked at me. 

"I told you. It may have been a small favor to you, Miss, but thanks to you, I was able to avoid losing my mother. If I think about my mother dying alone in a place where no one is around..." 

Sophie slightly lowered her gaze and bit her lip. 

"I will repay you until the day I die for preventing that from happening." 

"..." 

I know. I don't deserve such excessive gratitude. Contrary to Sophie's thoughts, I wasn't doing a simple 'favor.' I was just tapping away at the calculator to win this child's heart. So even though I knew I didn't deserve such pure affection... 

I stared blankly at Sophie for a moment, then slowly nodded. 

"Thank you, Sophie." 

"Why are you saying what I should be saying? Oh! And I bought a newspaper on the way here because I saw an interesting article. I'm sure you've already seen it." 

On the front page of the newspaper Sophie handed me, I saw a very familiar name.

Lucas Pedegreen, when is the trial?

[The Marquis was transferred to the Imperial Hospital due to repeated fainting... ] 

Lucas was stripped of his title of Marquis. It was a miserable downfall for a family that was once renowned for its aristocracy. Soon, the trial would take place and his complete treatment as a criminal would be decided. 

'Should I visit you once?' 

The embarrassed face I saw last time was quite satisfying, but it would be worse than seeing a face of true despair. I thought of another person who would be delighted by this news. 

'Elena.' 

Are you celebrating now? 

You didn't even know that you cut the last rope that saved you with your own hands. If Lucas and Elena had been tight-knit, it might have been a little more of a headache. However, the two of them cut off each other's tails as soon as the crisis came. It was so blatant that it was laughable. 

'That was all you had in terms of affection.' 

Well, that was all they had in our past life, so maybe they had whispered sweet nothings behind my back. If it weren't for the thrilling embers of deceiving me, it wouldn't have burned down. 

"Madam, what are your plans for the evening?" 

Sophie's voice woke me from my reverie. When I turned my head, I saw Sophie slightly looking at me. 

"I heard there's a festival going on in the street today, is there...?" 

"Huh?... Ah." 

I quickly figured out Sophie's intentions and nodded willingly. 

"You want a vacation? Yes, I understand. I thought it was too much to ask you to adjust here right after leaving the Lopez mansion. Enjoy yourself." 

"Huh? No! That's not it!" 

Sophie waved her hand. 

"I thought it would be nice if you went on a date with the Duke. It's supposed to last three days!" 

My body froze... 

'A date?' 

A strange image instinctively appeared in my head. Dante being pushed by people crowded in a narrow street. Dante frowned at the cheap taste of street food. Dante, who was watching the circus troupe's crude performance with a deadly expression...

"...Hmm." 

No matter how much there was a need to act like a friendly Duke and Duchess, I didn't think it was necessary to go that far. I quickly dismissed any possibility and answered. 

"Thank you for the tip, but I don't have time for that. I have to get to work starting today."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments