FYERIL - Chapter 43 < Wedding March (2) >



I sighed quietly. The jeweler I stopped by yesterday had a similar reaction.

"I have to fill up a total of 100 million cadinas?! Hey, it won't do to just stay here. Should I go back to the store and...get a cart?"

Ariana let out a small sigh as she recalled the culprit who had made things so complicated. Dante had said that he would make her the 'most precious bride in the system'. Who would have thought that he would prove it in such a primitive way?

'Of course. As a prospective Duchess, my appearance will soon become Dante's mirror.' 

They said that consumption was a virtue for high-ranking nobles. It was understandable that she wanted to cover herself up as splendidly as possible. 

"Excuse me, but then I'll have to look for another shop..."

"Silk!" 

Evelyn shouted urgently. 

"I'll add some silk, Lady! This time, I have some precious silk imported from the East! I'll add it to the lower part..." 

No. To exceed fifty million cardinas, she would have to cover it in silk so much that Ariana would stumble. Evelyn quickly added, 

"All, diamonds. Small diamonds are sewn tightly into the lace. Then the price will go up in an instant!" 

"Small diamonds. Will that be enough to cover the price?" 

"Well, moderately won't do, but if you put in a huge amount... Yes, yes. It will be possible. I will make it possible." 

Evelyn said desperately. It was still unclear what on earth she would have to do to the dress to make it worth over fifty million cardinas, but she couldn't lose this unexpected customer. 

"I will make you the most expensive dress in the empire, no, on the continent. Please leave it to me!" 

"That's great. I feel at ease now that you are so sure." 

Evelyn finally felt relieved when Ariana showed signs of understanding. Then she asked in a subtle, sly tone. 

"It seems that His Highness the Duke really loves Lady Ariana." 

"...Yes." 

Ariana answered after a brief pause. Even that slight hesitation seemed shy to Evelyn. 

"It touches my heart to see him cherish his lover so much." 

"...Thank you." 

"Well, of course, he would, since he has such a lady as his lover. Besides, Lady Ariana has such... heartbreaking scars." 

Thump. 

Evelyn's heart raced as she casually spoke and waited for an answer. Evelyn was also one of the 'those who would give up a pile of jewels if only they could find out what happened between Dante and Ariana.' 

As Evelyn's heart was quickly burning, Ariana finally opened her mouth. 

"That's right." 

A bitter smile appeared on Ariana's neat lips. 

"His Highness the Duke comforted me a lot." 

"His Highness comforted Lady Ariana a lot. Memo." 

Evelyn continued quietly, diligently taking down even the most obvious details in her head. 

"I'm so glad you had someone like that by your side. But if it's comfort, then it must be because of that... thing, right?" 

Her heart pounded as she tried to think. If she were to be kicked out for asking too recklessly, she would live the rest of her life resenting her own mouth. Still, Evelyn couldn't miss this golden opportunity to hear the story directly from the person in question. Ariana smiled bitterly and said, 

"If you're talking about the affair of my fiancé... Yes. That's right." 

"Huh."

Evelyn took a deep breath. 

"Did you get close to the Duke by any chance... while receiving comfort like that?" 

"Hmm." 

Ariana smiled awkwardly. Evelyn was about to quickly end the conversation, thinking, 'Is this it?' when something like a dream happened. 

Ariana carefully opened her mouth and slowly began to tell her story through her rosy lips. 

"At first, he laughed at me. He said that I was such a fool to want to marry someone who was cheating on me." 

'Huh.'

Evelyn quickly took a listening position and opened her ears wide. 

"His Highness the Duke was shocked by Ariana's engagement. Memo."

"I knew that was true, but I couldn't make a decision until the moment I entered the wedding hall. I was afraid of causing trouble to my family by breaking off the engagement." 

"If you're in that situation, you might not be able to make a decision. I completely understand, Lady." 

"Thank you." 

Ariana smiled faintly and continued. 

"But he saved me from the wrong choice. It was a bit too extreme, but..." 

At that part, Ariana bit her lips as if she was having a hard time, and Evelyn also thought of the shocking kiss scene in the article. 

"In fact, if it hadn't been that bad, I wouldn't have come to my senses. So now... I'm truly grateful to the Duke." 

Ariana covered her mouth with her white hand. Her appearance seemed to be extremely excited and shy about the love that had come to her like a flame. The sight also lit a fire in Evelyn's heart. 

"Ahh..." 

Evelyn covered her mouth.

'As expected. That was it.'

The romance that she had guessed by painstakingly placing together the puzzle pieces that were given to her in fragments was real. A man who comforted a woman who had been betrayed by love and then fell in love with her. A man who could not bear to watch her go into an unhappy marriage, and finally risked his dishonor to save her. In such an extreme way. 

'Because that's why...'

Because the arrows that were supposed to be aimed at the culprit who ruined the marriage would be aimed at him, not Ariana. Of course, if Dante had revealed the truth about Lucas and Elena's affair, Dante would have been completely free from the accusation that he had stolen another man's bride. 

However, then everyone in the world would know about Ariana's wounds, So Dante left the truth to Ariana, and if she decided not to reveal it, he would have to bear the consequences... 

'Ahh. It's such a sacred and sacrificial love.'

And the main character of that love is trying to make a wedding dress in her shop. 

Evelyn had an intuition that this work would be the most meaningful in her life as a designer. 

'I will create the most beautiful and noble dress in the world.'

Evelyn, who had been dabbing her eyes with a handkerchief, got up from her seat. 

"I think I should start working now to add jewels and silk. I will repay your trust with a perfect piece of work." 

"Thank you. I will trust you." 

Evelyn left the room with a burning sense of mission. Ariana smiled and sipped tea in the room where she had disappeared.

'What an interesting person.' 

Every time I answered, she was so focused that her ears perked up, making her see an illusion. 

'I wonder if she will spread it well.'

I had planted seeds not only in Evelyn but also in all the merchants who stopped by for the wedding preparations, so it would spread somehow. I could not brag about my romance in a newspaper or something like that as a Duchess, so I needed the help of the rich. 

My relationship with Dante was full of holes, so it would be difficult if someone tried to dig into it. That's why I had to cover the public's eyes with such a provocative and romantic story. After all, that's what people wanted. During the contract period, this marriage had to be perfect in every way. 

'If I do this much, I don't know how to fix it after everything is over.'

Since Dante personally approved it, it should be okay. It was when I sat up, swallowing a strange sense of unease. 

"Lady Ariana. A letter has arrived." 

The Duke's servant politely handed me the letter. There was only one simple word written on the sender's name. B. 

I scanned the contents and smiled faintly. 

'Yes. You've made a decision, Elena.' 

I hope that decision doesn't change. You're the kind of girl who always carries out what you set your mind to. 

*** 

Time passed quickly as each of their hopes and despairs, schemes, and calculations intersected. I looked up at the blue sky with slightly squinted eyes. The sky was unusually clear and dazzling. They say that the wedding day comes only once in a lifetime. I was now experiencing that once-in-a-lifetime day for the second time.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments