TPITT - Chapter 98



“Your Majesty!”

A man was running towards me in a hurry with a pitiful cry.

I jumped up from my seat.

“Alben!”

Alben, who left for the capital with a letter this morning, has finally returned.

He slid into my barracks and fell to one knee.

My eyes sparkled with half anticipation and half anxiety.

Of course, Alben did not disappoint me.

“Your Highness, Your Highness’s permission has been granted!”

"Ah!"

I received a document with the Emperor's seal from Alben.

It was a permit for the construction of an aqueduct connecting the village of Lapis and Lake Melud.

“Yes!”

I clutched the papers tightly.

“You really worked hard.”

It was when I looked at Alben, who had been talking well in front of Desmond II, with admiring eyes.

He told me about the situation in the palace.

"His Majesty was very pleased to see that you had succeeded in your quest for the Magic Stone Mine. He has promised to prepare a banquet and a grand prize for the Imperial Palace in time for your return. I would like to cut you down, Your Royal Highness!"

Distributing invitations to a banquet and stating the purpose of the event was a good way to formally display one's achievements.

That is to say, Desmond II was in such a good mood that he was bragging about my achievements to everyone.

“The nobles of the Privy Council who were present also praised Your Highness's achievements. In particular, the Marquis of Limitiello insisted that the mine be named after Your Highness's name. His Majesty said it was a good idea."

“That’s amazing.”

Doesn't it mean to give names to places and honor the descendants of the ancestors?

Although it is customary for the name of the magic dragon to be taken from the name of a dead magic dragon, it's a bit awkward, but I guess it was meant with good intentions.

I thought for a moment about the Marquis of Limitiello, who had led public opinion.

He has been strangely attracted to me since before.

It was favorable.

'Hmm, I wonder if she's testing me out with Rosie as the Marchioness.'

It was an unpleasant experience.

I had no intention of becoming a Marchioness, and I absolutely refused to be compared to Rose for a position I had no interest in.

I decided that it was not worth worrying about a marriage I had not even thought about yet.

I moved on to the next one.

“What happened to Count Sanchez?”

When asked a question, Alben answered without showing any of his usual wit.

“His Majesty is very angry. He is so angry that the entire reality seems to freeze.”

Desmond II's prestige was formidable, even outside of his secular authority as Emperor.

This is because he was a semi-sage-level person who was proficient in alchemy and magic.

I nodded, saying that made sense.

“Homunculus is considered an asset of the Emperor. That’s a natural reaction. He must have taken it as a challenge to the imperial power.”

“That wasn’t it.”

"Yes?"

Alben smiled sinisterly.

"His Majesty was furious when he heard that the contaminated well was a source that Her Royal Highness used to share. What would happen if Your Royal Highness had drunk the water? His Majesty said he would rule Hosen Sanchez not only for treason but also for attempted murder of the royal family."

“No, really...?”

I was dumbfounded at the point of Desmond II's anger.

“Isn’t it only natural that filial piety is rewarded with favor? Hahaha!”

Alben was more delighted than me.

After all, the master's steady rise to success was a joy to all his servants.

“Oh my. I am really looking forward to the day when Your Highness will head to the Imperial City and receive the Golden Ring.”

“I need to finish this work here quickly so I can go back quickly.”

I had had enough. My one word brought the atmosphere back to a serious tone.

I sat up straight, placed my clasped hands on the desk, and spoke.

“Then, now what we have to do is decide. We have to go and subdue the demons of Lake Melud.”

“Yes. Sir Agneto, please come out. It’s your turn.”

Michael took a step forward as if he had been waiting and bowed.

“Leave it to me, Your Highness.”

Alben asked.

“Do you need any troops to be drafted?”

“Based on the report, it doesn’t seem like a very strong attack. I’ll handle it myself.”

No matter how many of the world's horsemen flew and crawled, they were far less than Dragon's thoughts. For him, the support force was meaningless.

“As expected of Sir Agneto. You are trustworthy. Then I will trust you with the physical work.”

Even without that, every place was struggling with a manpower shortage.

When Michael declined first, Alben was delighted as if he had heard good news.

I stood up from my seat.

“Then let’s leave right now.”

Outside the palace, the direct knights were supposed to remain with the imperial family for 24 hours a day.

Therefore, to use Michael's fighting power to subdue the devil, I had to accompany him.

The party consisted of only me and Michael.

I, who had finished preparing, left the barracks.

I listened to Alben's report.

“The magic flying machine will travel back and forth across the Rasetora River two more times. It is said that they are going to start the fuel change operation. At that time, the route will be changed to Melud. I told them to set it to a lake.”

“The water supply problem will be solved within today.”

“That clears up most of the important stuff. Now, all we have to do is wait for Count Luciard to send laborers and building materials.”

“Then you should get some rest too.”

“Yes. I plan to take this opportunity to go to the Baron’s Castle and have a leisurely interview with Count Sanchez.”

For Alben, it was a break and a recharge.

At that time, Michael was also being seen off.

The homunculus appeared when he said he was going to Lake Melud.

“I heard you went to subdue the demons of the lake.”

“Lord Michael, you went to such lengths for us..."

Clearly, those who had found Michael difficult at first were showing their concern with genuine concern in their eyes.

It was still awkward for Michael to receive the gratitude of so many homunculus alone.

So he wanted to share it with me.

“I only follow my master’s will.”

At those words, the homunculus turned to look at me.

I was receiving reports on the village's situation from Alben, Cadeline, and Peony right before I left.

Even if they're not a fool, they can't know.

After the arrival of the 7th Princess, the quality of life of the homunculus improved significantly.

In fact, it was something I felt with my own body.

Also, the way Cadeline treated me, which the homunculus believed and followed, was different from the way she treated the other royal families who had been dispatched so far.

A ripple-like shaking spread across the eyes of the homunculus looking at me.

It was confusion that arose from the fact that I was different from the royal family they knew.

Michael didn't try to persuade them any further.

Anyway, the day when they realize the true intention of the Princess is not far away.

“I will serve you, Your Highness.”

“Yes, let’s go.”

Now it was really time to leave.

The means of transportation were horses. 

This was because there was no proper road from the village of Lapis to Lake Melud and it was not suitable for carriages.

Fortunately, horseback riding was an essential skill for the royal family.

I, who was into exercise and sports, also knew how to do it.

Although I can only walk, I can't even imagine running,

Riding for more than an hour would be too much for weak back and thigh muscles.

We crossed the wasteland, up and down the hills several times.

As time passed, more and more plants appeared, indicating that we were getting closer to the water source.

At last, we passed a small coniferous forest. The water sparkled between the dense needle leaves.

“Wow!”

Melud was a lake with a unique and beautiful color as if mint-colored paint had been poured into it.

Even pretty pink flowers, like a mix of roses, peonies, and lotuses, were in full bloom along the lake's edge.

Lake Melud looked like a giant goddess's bathroom, laden with fragrant oils and flower petals.

I and Michael tied our horses and looked out over the lake.

The lake was so peaceful that it felt like a walk rather than a hike.

It didn't look like a demon at all.

There were no sandworms or basilisks (snake-shaped demons resembling cobras) that would normally inhabit the water.

“It seems that a powerful predator is lurking in the lake, and lower-level demons cannot even dare approach.”

“It’s a demon that lives in that lake. According to the report, it’s huge. They say there are nine long water snakes, but there is no record of such a beast.”

“If we look directly, we might get a clue.”

Michael picked up a round stone that had fallen on the floor.

“Princess, please stay far away.”

"How much?"

“To where the trees grow.”

As soon as Michael saw that I had stepped back, he threw a stone into the lake.

Thrown.

It was when the round stone flew far away and bounced three times on the surface of the lake.

Clack, clack, clack!

The reaction came immediately. Strange heads rose from the calm lake.

“You’re as sensitive as I’ve heard.”

Huge snakes of a dull olive hue straightened their bodies and headed towards Michael.

Since it is a species that lives mainly on the bottom of a lake where light does not reach, its eyes are degenerated.

There was not even a trace of it. Instead, the mouth, which seemed to have a good appetite, was large and protruding.

Because the facial shape was not properly formed, it looked more like a water worm than a snake.

As the demons' massive bodies blocked out the sun, a shadow appeared over Michael's body.

Michael was quickly approaching a giant, wading through the water.

I was troubled as I watched the worm demons.

'What kind of monster is it? Is it a mutated worm? It's somewhat similar in shape, but it's too big?'

Kwakwakwang!

One of them opened its mouth, almost as wide as its torso, and tried to pounce on Michael.

However, Michael jumped up and dodged, so the demon swallowed only dirt.

Then another guy flew horizontally and launched a sweep attack, and then another guy hit his body vertically and tried to crush Michael.

'I thought you were some idiots.'

Michael was a little surprised by the unexpectedly linked attack pattern.

The nine demons spared no expense in their attack.

They were busy beating Michael as if their bodies were whips.

The circumference of the demon's torso was large enough to require two adult men to hug it.

It was an attack that would have crushed bones if hit, but it didn't even graze Michael.

Slurp.

Michael, who had figured out the attack pattern, finally pulled out his Night Ray.

Crunch!

The tip of the sword, where the demon's mouth was attached, was cut off by an attack with black energy.

The demon writhed, spraying purple fluid in all directions.

'He's not dead.'

Michael cut the neck roughly to the size of the head, but it seemed like it wasn't enough.



Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments