IHMEB - Chapter 190 < Second Marriage >




"Marry me, Claudel."

I opened my mouth in bewilderment.

“What do you mean?”

“If you say you’re leaving, I’m telling you that you can’t.”

I felt goosebumps on my arms.

The one who seemed to be adorned with the radiance of the Gods resembled Kaiyan in some way.

The energy emanating from his body was different as if he was favored by a great being that ordinary humans could not imagine.

Kaian in his own way, and Valquiterre in his own way, each possessed power befitting the unrivaled leader of their respective domains.

“...I can’t leave?”

However, up until now, I had thought that Valquiterre was similar to Kaian, but also very different.

Kaian was basically very arrogant and self-centered.

No matter what I said, he would do whatever he wanted.

In contrast, Valquiterre seemed to be the opposite of Kaian in terms of personality.

He spoke to me as if he was more interested than Kaian when he was my husband, and he acted as if he understood my feelings a little more than Kaian did.

The man who didn't talk much was different when he talked about Valquiterre.

The understanding and trust based on the long time they spent together and the bloodline of the same royal lineage was something I couldn't build up no matter what I did. 

I envied Valquiterre, whom I had never met, wondering if I would ever receive such special treatment from Kaian.

Whenever Kaian spoke about Valquiterre, his eyes sparkled and his face became the gentlest I had ever seen, so I had even asked him about the younger King because I wanted to see that.

The parents-in-law that I had to directly respect had long since passed away.

As an only child living in a fief without any other siblings, when visiting the palace and being introduced to the King, Princess, and Grand Duke who were his proper relatives, it was true that I also wanted to get along well with Valquiterre, just as Kaian treated him specially.

“I didn’t help you for free.”

But I never imagined that I would hear something like this.

“In exchange for helping you escape from Rowen, didn’t you agree to grant me one wish?”

Free help was not something that existed in the first place, but Valquiterre had always acted as if he would do something impossible for me.

“Be my Queen.”

That’s why the aversion that had started to boil over as soon as I heard the word ‘marriage’ intensified at the word ‘Queen'.

“W-That’s ridiculous.”

“Why?”

Valquiterre tilted his head slightly and then casually picked up the sugar on the table with tongs.

“Well, me and Kaian...”

I stopped myself as I began to speak.

“You and Kaian?”

I and Kaian were now in a relationship that could not be tied together. The moment I was speechless, I suddenly felt my eyes go blank.

How could I explain myself and Kaian? 

There was nothing so much for me to show to Valquiterre as I had shown Madame Cronach by holding my red hair when I couldn't explain it in words.

As if he had read my mind, Valquiterre lifted the sugar-melted teacup and smiled.

“You’re not related, are you?”

Thunder passed through my head. It wasn’t a relationship that could be easily explained, but it wasn’t wrong.

“You begged me to withdraw the royal order, so I did.”

The man with soft, flowing, light blond hair savored the tea, enjoying the fragrance as if nothing had happened.

“What could be the problem?”

“He said you were like his closest family. But how could it be...?”

“Family?”

Valquiterre snickered. The empty laughter that came out of his mouth was shocking to me because it made me realize how much he was treating this matter as nothing special.

“What is the standard for family?”

His leisurely blue eyes looked at me.

“If you feel close to him in your heart and in your mind, that doesn’t mean you’re family, right?”

I was perplexed by him, who was bringing in irrelevant logic to this situation and blurring the context.

“Why on earth are you doing this to me?”

“Then why did you ask me for help?”

In Rowen, where people would change their attitudes and become cold to Vermont at any time when they were in trouble, there was no one to ask for help.

My power was so weak, and what crime could a child with such a mother commit?

However, at this moment, I felt as if the sky I had believed in had fallen.

“You asked me to withdraw the royal order. But the Duke of Vermont is demanding compensation from me for that.”

“Compensation?”

“The precious daughter of Vermont has suffered irreparable harm and dishonor. He demands proper compensation.”

“That is not necessary.”

“You have humiliated the family name, even if you do not wish it.”

Valquiterre said nonchalantly.

“You cannot marry.”

He knew very well that I could marry again after a divorce or death.

Irena was planning a second marriage to continue the family line.

‘...Sister. What should I do? Is this something that makes you feel so terrible?’

I felt even more terrible than when I had been sold as food to feed the people of the estate.

How could a noblewoman’s life be treated like a living doll?

Not even half a day had passed since I had told Kaian that I wanted to be free, to make my own decisions and live as I pleased, and I was about to be put in chains.

“Because my marriage to Your Majesty cannot be established.”

I barely came to my senses.

“I found my mother. My mother was a commoner and I am her daughter. I will lose the name of Vermont.”

Kaian said that the name and status that Madame Cronach was using were not fake.

If the Duke of Vermont stepped in, it would be easy to cross out that family that had treated me like a thorn in their side.

“Would he allow it?”

“My uncle has always been displeased with me.”

Valquiterre frowned as if he had heard a funny joke.

“That would only happen when there was no chance of having the King as a son-in-law.”

“Your Majesty.”

I changed my attitude. I felt a fear that if I tried to be even a little friendly, I would be pushed off the edge of a cliff at an inopportune moment.

“Please forgive my immorality. I will never forget the kindness you have shown me and repay it. So...”

“How can you repay me?”

“That is...”

“There is nothing else you possess that I covet.”

Valquiterre put down his teacup, got up from his seat, and sat down next to me, who was hunched over on the sofa with stiff shoulders and didn’t know what to do.

“Please be a shield to the courtiers who keep nagging about when I'm going to get married.”

“I can’t.”

“You will.”

I jumped up and fled to my bedroom. As I disappeared in a panic, Valquiterre left the living room.

“It would be best to hurry up with the announcement.”

He was determined to make sure Kaian heard it himself.

***

Holderleyround was a very famous place.

It was close to the capital and had hot springs with medicinal properties, so someone from the royal family had decided to stay there for generations.

The outside looked like a simple log cabin, but the inside was luxurious enough to accommodate royalty. A young woman’s laughter flowed through the place.

“Hohoho.”

The fair-skinned woman had quite a bit of flesh.

The guards of the mansion they passed by felt her sensual charm and kept flirting with the woman, but a woman with a keen eye would know that it was the swelling typical of a mother who had just given birth.

She held the baby in her arms and, without even fixing her disheveled clothes, carefully wiped the milk flowing from the baby’s mouth with a soft cloth.

“You are eating well. I am proud of you.”

She briefly held the baby up and patted its back, and the baby, who had been resting its head against the woman’s, groaned softly.

“You worked hard.”

Madame Lepel, who had been watching the whole time, reached out her hand, and the young nanny grinned and handed the baby to her.

“How could he have become so pretty?”

“Yes.”

“And he sleeps so well.”

Anyone could tell whose blood the baby was as soon as they saw it.

The baby, who had not yet reached the full term, was not that weak.

At first, he was small and weak, so she had to pump the milk and feed him little by little with a small pipe. But he started sucking desperately as if he was determined to fill his empty stomach, and as he neared two months since he was born, he grew bigger and fatter. 

His red skin, which had been thin and lean, had become plump and white, and his hair, which had been thick since birth, had grown a little longer and his fine features had become more distinct.

“You must be tired. Go back and rest.”

Only then did the woman, who had opened the front of his clothes, pat his aching shoulder from breastfeeding him in one position for a long time, get up.

“Please call me when the baby wakes up.”

“Okay.”

Madame Repel left the nursery with the baby in her arms and headed to her room. She carefully placed the baby in the basket and watched for a moment, then pushed the curtains aside and brought out a palm-sized bowl placed on the window sill, kneading the dough inside. The wheat dough, which had been hard and dry on the outside, became lukewarm and soft as it absorbed body heat, so she took half a palm-sized piece of it and pressed it tightly to the baby’s ears.

Then she wrapped the baby in a swaddle and held it, pushed the wall of the room, and went into the narrow, hidden space. 

Madame Repel sighed deeply.

‘Thank goodness the children escaped trouble.’

Even if Count Makie had not threatened her, she would not have gone this far.

However, if it had been Valquiterre who had mentioned it, there would have been no room, but since Count Makie's words were impromptu, Madame Repel immediately evacuated her family abroad.

‘It’s been about a month since the Duke of Temnes came to the capital.’

In the meantime, she felt like she was walking on thin ice every day.

Every night, she spent the night anxiously wondering if today would be the day.

Valquiterre would not let the baby live in the end.

She had lived a life that was worthy of enjoying the glory. She had no regrets.

However, the baby and the mother who gave birth to the baby were pitiful.

Suddenly, Madame Repel, who was curled up in a small space and dozing off while holding the baby, heard an unfamiliar sound.

Ouch. Aah.

She heard someone fighting and screaming, and someone rushing into the mansion.

Gosh.

Finally, she heard a young woman’s shrill scream nearby, and it soon became quiet. Rough footsteps rushed into her room.

“Where is it?”

“Isn’t the nanny taking it?”

“What can I do when she’s not here? It’s not worth waking up a dead woman to ask her.”

Madame Repel held the baby tighter and trembled as she listened to them talking among themselves.

At that moment.

Aah! Aah!

There was a sound of blades clashing and clashing, and it felt like a knife was being swung nearby.

Madame Repel tightly shut her eyes and held on, feeling anxious.

When the day dawned and the people who had been targeting the baby retreated under the cover of darkness, there would be an opportunity to escape. The baby’s basket that had been on the bed rolled over in front of the hiding space.

“Your Highness, I don’t think he’s in here.”

Your Highness? Your Highness?

“Yes. That’s fortunate.”

Madame Repel suddenly looked into the room through a crack in the wall at the familiar voice. The man standing in the middle of the dark room illuminated by moonlight had pitch-black hair.

“Send a search party. She couldn’t have gotten far.”



Previous                    Next


        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments