FYERL - Chapter 14 < Picking Up The Fired Orchestra (1) >




'How could that be...'

At that moment, a great sense of bewilderment spread, overwhelming even her grateful feelings.

The interlude that Ariana was freely creating was in perfect harmony with the song.

Even Rosalind, who had sung this song dozens of times, didn't notice it for a moment.

Not only that, it was so beautiful that it was enchanting. If it weren't for this situation, she would have definitely continued to enjoy it, lost in thought.

'Is it possible to play this well with improvisation?'

While continuing such an amazing performance, Ariana occasionally glanced at Rosalind.

With a calm gaze that never urged her as if telling Rosalind to tell her whenever she was ready.

"..."

No one, not even her lover Mark, had ever shown Rosalind this kind of consideration.

It might have been closer to saying that he didn't have the skills to do it.

Rosalind barely swallowed the hot emotions that were welling up inside her.

'I have to sing.'

Fortunately, her throat had sunk a lot lower than before. Now she was confident that she could reach the climax.

When she made up her mind and nodded, Ariana lowered her beautiful eyelashes as if she understood and continued playing.

The music reached its climax again.

The audience, who had been bewildered by the unusual melody and lost their minds, began to anticipate something familiar again and their eyes sparkled.

Rosalind finally opened her mouth.

“I won’t regret it again, because I’ll be the only one by your side!”

The explosive melody burst through her lips.

After a brief silence, the audience began to clap their hands enthusiastically.

Clap, clap, clap!

Rosalind smiled happily amidst the applause that sounded like thousands of birds chirping.

***

“Wow, I was completely absorbed in listening. Who is the singer? Not only is her tone unique, but her vocal power is no joke.”

“That’s right. Isn’t that a super high note that would be hard to pull off unless you’re a soprano like Elena Lopez? She seems like a newcomer, but she's amazing.”

“But, ‘About Possession’. Was that the original song?”

“No, I think it was rearranged a bit? I was surprised that it changed a lot, but I really liked it.”

“Oh, I was like that too! The interlude was so long that I was confused at first, but that part kept ringing in my ears. Oh, is there anywhere she's performing this rearranged version?”

“By the way, who was the accompanist?”

“Well, judging by the build, it’s definitely a lady, not a man... Her face is completely covered by a cloak, so I can’t say much more than that.”

The empty audience at first was bustling.

People’s eyes lingered around the stage. They seemed to want to talk to the people who had given them such a treat.

However, as soon as Rosalind finished greeting them, she immediately turned around and ran to Ariana, who was getting up from the piano stool.

“Oh, Mr. Lopez!”

Ariana looked back at Rosalind.

Rosalind felt relieved inside. It seemed that she had called him correctly.

‘You clearly said that the benefactor was the one who wrote ‘On Possession’.’

Rosalind had never touched an expensive opera house ticket, but she had heard the name of the main composer of an up-and-coming opera house.

If her memory serves her right, the name was definitely...

“Edward Lopez, right?”

“...”

‘No. No matter who looked at it, it was definitely not him.’

Ariana stared blankly at Rosalind’s sparkling face.

Edward was obviously a man’s name. She was a young lady with no prejudices.

Ariana smiled slightly as if sighing and said.

“My name is Ariana Lopez.”

“Oh, oh...?”

Rosalind’s mouth fell open. It seemed to be the first time she had heard the name.

Of course, it was.

Ariana’s name had never been mentioned before the names of Edward, the composer, and Elena, the soprano.

The moment she turned her head with that thought, Ariana stopped right there.

In the distance, leaning against the doorway, a man was watching her.

“...”

The moment their eyes met, it seemed as if all the sounds in the world had disappeared.

Rosalind’s voice, and the murmurs of people.

Ariana slowly inhaled in the silence.

“Since when?”

She absentmindedly pondered the question, but at the same time, she felt like she knew the answer.

When a soprano dominates the stage, usually no one turns their gaze to the accompanist.

But I could feel it throughout the performance. The weight of the persistent gaze flowed down my cheek.

It was different in texture from the curious gazes that people would sometimes throw at the accompanist.

'It was that person from the beginning.'

As soon as I realized it, my fingertips froze. Even in the audience's gaze, even in front of Rosalind's shining eyes as if she was looking at her teacher, a tension I had never felt before flowed down my spine.

'He must have been judging.' 

Whether my skills would be worthy of the price he had decided to pay.

He must have been comparing them with those eyes that seemed to be stained with blood.

And after listening to the end of the song, he must have finally come to a conclusion.

'What was the conclusion?' 

With a stride.

The man suddenly started to move, cutting through my thoughts.

As he strode with wide strides, the people who recognized Dante hurriedly stepped aside.

Dante passed through the middle of them as if it were absolutely natural, and reached me in an instant.

Even when I saw him from afar, his presence was felt, and now he was right in front of me, so my heart instinctively tightened.

I tried not to show it and nodded lightly.

Instead of answering, Dante tilted his lips.

“I heard that composers often use sopranos as their muses.”

A low voice dropped without warning.

When I raised my head at the sudden words, Dante nodded lightly to the side.

“Is that the woman? The muse you discovered.”

Rosalind was in the direction Dante had nodded to.

She was staring at him with her mouth wide open as if she had lost her soul.

...She looked a bit naive and clumsy now, but in five years, she would become a top-class soprano.

When I slowly nodded, Dante smiled.

“You used my space to promote your singer.”

I bit my lips.

That was right.

If the goal was simply to find Rosalind, it would have been easier to just show her kindness by giving her a room at the inn, buying her meals, and trying to win her favor.

However, the reason I insisted on playing the piano myself and letting her stand on stage was that I had another goal.

I wanted to make Rosalind's name known from now on. I calculated that it would be much easier to build up a minimum name value to become a soprano who could rival Elena shortly.

"I apologize for playing without permission. If you were offended by any of it..."

"No."

A low voice cut me off.

"...Yes?"

Instead of answering, Dante bent his upper body. Slowly, but at a speed that made it impossible for me to run away.

Soon, a large hand grabbed my cheek.

The heat touching my cheek was terribly unrealistic.

'...Again.'

The distance between us was closing without hesitation as if it were natural.

Only then did I discover things I had not seen when I looked from afar.

For example, something like a float of emotions that cast a strange shadow beyond the red eyes.

A dark and dry, perhaps even a hushed thirst...

“Use everything you can from me.”

Dante slowly opened his lips and whispered.

“I plan to use you to the bottom, too.”

The voice that seeped into my ear was distant, like a devil’s.

“...”

I was a beat late in realizing that strong arms were lifting my body up.

My lightly lifted body settled on the piano.

“...Ah.”

My eyes blinked slowly, unable to adjust to the suddenly changed field of vision.

Dante, who was sitting across from me, approached me with a smile and a raised corner of his mouth.

I thought that the heaviness of the arms wrapping around my waist and the firmness of the fingers digging into my hair were all too unrealistic.

“Huh...”

The sound of Rosalind inhaling.

“What, what?”

“Oh my, the Duke...”

“Who is his opponent?”

The sound of people exclaiming was all like a dream, hazy.

I held my breath. The heads that were slanted and overlapped felt hazy like they were from another world. A familiar scent rushed in.

I closed my eyes tightly without realizing it. It was too much.

The man’s strong scent, the heat that touched me, the firmness of his skin, everything.

“How are you, Lopez?”

Dante whispered. We were so close that our lips would touch if he moved just a little.

“Aren’t you scared now?”

I unconsciously opened my eyelids again at that voice.

The man was laughing.

As if all of this was nothing more than a bad joke, leisurely and relaxedly.

However, I, trapped between the piano and the man’s body, couldn’t even breathe properly.

‘... I feel like I’m going to get eaten.’

The solid body blocking my way like a wall, and the unfamiliar body smell filling my lungs made me have such irrational thoughts.

At the same time, I thought.

‘This is also an extension of the test.’

Today was the day I came to sign the contract.

If I hadn’t completely passed this man’s test yet, I couldn’t show my weakness.

I forced my eyes open and slowly opened my mouth.

“...Yes. Not at all.”

I confirmed that my voice hadn’t wavered through Dante’s reaction.

The man, who had raised one eyebrow slightly as if surprised, quickly smiled and muttered quietly.

“A formidable opponent.”

“...”

I felt my mouth dry for some reason.

My heart was beating strangely fast and my throat was burning.

Was it because everyone’s eyes were focused on me that the back of my head felt hot?

“I want to make you pay for my annoyance, but...”

The lips that had been quivering as if teasing me suddenly rose upward.

Then, a warm, almost hot sensation settled on my forehead.

“Well, we’re still engaged.”

Dante lightly kissed my white forehead and smiled.

The feeling of my usually calm and composed green eyes widening like a startled deer and looking at him wasn’t so bad.

I blankly watched Dante lightly press his thumb against my lips.

“Let’s meet when we get married.”

The man smiled as he whispered refreshingly.


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments