FYERIL - Chapter 28 < Things To Remember (3) >





“...Shin?”

Dante opened his eyes wide. For a split second, I clearly saw a hollow smile on his lips.

However, the next moment, Dante became cold and serious as if nothing had happened.

“Really? Did you break it?”

“It didn’t... break it.”

“Then don’t brag.”

“...Yes.”

I didn’t mean to brag, but I obediently kept my mouth shut for now.

“So.”

Dante asked with a low sigh.

“Did you stir it enough to satisfy you?”

The expressions on Edward and Elena’s faces that I had seen last came to mind.

If you ask if I was satisfied, I was.

The faces filled with shock, anger, and betrayal were definitely nice to see.

However, if you ask if I was satisfied,

“No way.”

I shook my head lightly.

“I wasn’t satisfied. This is just the beginning.”

If I was going to end it like this, I wouldn’t have even started.

The despair I felt as I bled to death had not even tasted a tenth of it.

“But today, thanks to Your Excellency, I had a truly enjoyable day. Thank you.”

As I bowed my head slightly, a voice fell from above my head.

“Do you think so?”

“...Yes?”

I raised my head and paused for a moment.

The displeased face was nowhere to be found, but Dante was smiling with the corners of his mouth wide open.

“Thanks to me.”

“Of course. Your Excellency, you played a big role.”

Lucas’s expression at the wedding was particularly spectacular. I couldn’t help but chuckle as I recalled his face, red as a boiled octopus.

I admit it. If I had been alone, I wouldn’t have been able to inflict such a blow on Lucas.

“Really?”

Dante smiled and bowed.

The faint scent of shower cologne wafted in.

“I’m glad you were satisfied.”

A long finger lightly brushed the tip of my chin.

“I guess I did pretty well...”

The hairs on my ear stood on end at the slow touch.

There was no way I didn’t know what that gesture meant.

“...”

I felt a sudden heat rise to my cheek.

Today, this man kissed me.

It was the first time. It was the first time I felt my breath race. It was the first time I had ever felt someone else sway my body’s intimate sensations. I bit the inside of my mouth, barely controlling my expression, and opened my mouth.

I hoped my voice would sound as businesslike as possible.

“If I were alone, I wouldn’t have been able to turn the place upside down like that. Thanks to you, the people of the capital will definitely talk about it today. I will definitely repay this favor soon.”

That... Aside from the overwhelming feeling of the kiss, I was truly grateful that Dante had stepped forward.

It was true that he didn’t need to go that far.

“I see.”

He said, slowly stroking my chin.

“You owe me a lot.”

You owe me a lot... a lot?

I tilted my head slightly at those words.

It was true that there were things we exchanged, but the expression ‘paying back’ felt strange.

What we shared was a transaction, not a one-sided one.

Dante frowned as he looked down at me.

“What is that unreasonable expression?”

I was momentarily taken aback, thinking that my thoughts were being revealed in my expression.

Then he clicked his tongue openly.

“...As expected, you're not pretending not to know.”

Dante said, tilting his head slightly.

“It seems you really don’t remember.”

“... remember?”

I blinked blankly at the words that I couldn’t understand at all.

A displeased gaze fell on me. I hid my confusion and said,

“What kind of memory are you talking about?”

There was no answer.

Dante rolled his empty glass around in his hand.

Could it be an illusion that he looked as upset as when he mentioned Edward’s name?

I carefully opened my mouth.

“Have I forgotten something? From now on, I will definitely remember it, so please tell me what you forgot.”

“I don’t want to.”

“...Yes?”

“Remember it. You.”

I looked up with bewildered eyes, and he added arrogantly.

“It’s an order.”

“...”

And before I could say anything, he pulled the rope.

“Show her to her room.”

Dante coldly ordered the servant who had appeared. With a firm and unwavering attitude.

So I couldn’t bring myself to speak to him and left his office.

As I walked down the hallway, I fell into deep thought.

“Remember?” 

Something I had forgotten...

Suddenly came to mind.

Pain surged as soon as a nerve deep in my brain was touched.

“Ugh.”

I don’t remember much about that time. The doctor said that this often happens to greatly shocked people.

It was ten years ago that I covered it up.

“But that has nothing to do with His Excellency the Duke.”

Rubbing my pale forehead, I tilted my head in confusion.

***

“Did you all hear the news yesterday?”

“Of course. Oh my, Marquis Pedegreen suffered such a humiliation...”

“The Marquis Pedegreen has a cast on his neck. He sprained it from falling so much.”

“Oh, oh, oh.”

The ladies clicked their tongues in apparent pity at the interesting gossip.

“But there’s another surprising part.”

When one lady spoke with a serious face, everyone nodded as if they knew.

“I never thought His Excellency the Duke would do something!”

“My goodness, to crash a wedding and steal the bride... How complicated could this have been?”

“We all go crazy because we don’t know. The bride, a woman from the Lopez family, had no connection with His Excellency the Duke.”

“Speaking of Lopez, what will happen to the Lopez Opera House now?”

The ladies burst into laughter at the innocent question.

“What’s going to happen? The eldest daughter didn’t do anything anyway. She had no presence. So nothing will change.”

“How did such a young lady bewitch His Excellency the Duke?”

“That’s the biggest mystery.”

“But you know.”

Someone lowered their voices secretly.

“If this is how it is, what will happen to Her Highness the Princess?”

***

Thump.

The Crown Prince roughly threw the newspaper down.

The flashy headlines were blaring the scoop that had finally broken through.

Dante Heigenberg Steals a Bride!

“It was strangely quiet for a while, and now this is how you’re going to turn the capital upside down.”

The Crown Prince muttered in a voice full of displeasure and turned to his sister.

“You’re not going to cling to him after seeing this rascal, are you, Katharina? Your man seems to have fallen for another woman.”

“...”

“Just do it, Kitty. You’ve played the role of a Princess in love for a while, so you should learn to let it go. From now on, it’s a matter of the imperial family’s honor.”

The Crown Prince strode out of the room with a firm voice.

In the quiet room, Princess Katarina turned to her maid.

“Bring me the newspaper.”

“...Yes, Your Highness.”

The front page of the newspaper the maid handed over had a handsome face clearly printed on it.

Below that, it was filled with articles speculating about the love story of a couple who shook the capital.

“This time.”

Katarina’s fingers, which had been scanning the man’s face in the photo, poked the silhouette of the woman resting on his shoulder.

“Is this the Duke's woman?"

That was what he had done to reject me.

Katarina looked down sadly.

She knew. She knew why the Duke couldn’t accept her heart.

But still...

“There’s no need to do this while tarnishing your honor.”

This incident earned Dante the infamy of stealing a bride at a wedding.

Of course, it was a very small stain compared to the brilliant name of the Duke of Heigenberg, but it was still a blemish.

A blemish because of that woman.

Katarina muttered as she folded up her fan that she had habitually been waving.

“I should at least go see her face.”

Ariana Lopez.

Katarina said, glaring at the silhouette in the newspaper, her face hidden by the Duke.

***

“Haha. Hahahaha!”

A thunderous roar shook Count Lopez’s mansion.

“You’re sure this account is correct, Wilhelm?!”

“Yes, my lord.”

Edward stamped his feet hard at Wilhelm’s calm answer.

“Haha, that’s it. That’s it!”

Edward’s eyes lit up with joy.

All the tickets were sold out.

The first day was already sold out, but the second and third days were crucial...

They were all sold out. They even said that black market tickets were being traded under the table.

“To see the stage that Edward Lopez created!”

Edward gasped in joy.

He had worried that the nobles who valued dignity would cancel their tickets because of the embarrassment he had shown at the wedding. Rather, the opposite results came out.

“This is exactly what they mean when they say that misfortune turns into good fortune!” 

The instinctive human desire to be captivated by interesting gossip overtook everything else.

“Ariana, that damned woman’s accident turned out to be a blessing!”

“Wilhelm! How much is your total income?”

“Ten million cadinas.”

Edward shuddered with joy at hearing the answer again.

Ten million. Ten million cardinas.

Not since he inherited the family from his bedridden father, no. Even when his father led the family, such a large sum of money had never poured into the Lopez family’s coffers.

“It won’t be long.”

Edward smiled brightly. His dream seemed to be right before his eyes.

“Wilhelm!”

“Yes, Master.”

“Contact Veloce! Bring the catalog to me today!”

Veloce was a famous tailor shop in the capital.

He had already had his suit tailored, but with this much cash in his hands, there was no reason not to have more expensive and better clothes tailored.

The main composer was the face and symbol of the opera house.

How could he not wear such a worthless outfit?

“Yes, Master.”

Wilhelm bowed his head politely.

***

Lopez Opera House, all seats sold out!

[The fierce ticket-buying war to see the St. Verdict opera has even led to a black market...]

Heading to the reception room, I smiled broadly as I recalled the newspaper articles I had seen earlier.

All seats were sold out.

The current Lopez House was a feat that had never been achieved before.

'Is it like flying?'

I smiled even more as I thought of my dear family.

I hope they are happier.

I hope they feel like they are floating higher up in the clouds.

That way, the impending fall will be more painful.



Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments