7MIP - Chapter 48




“I will kill you as you wish.”

Agatha, who had barely managed to gather her aching body, looked up.

She saw the intruder raising his sword high, but she had no intention of fighting back.

The moment she closed her eyes and let her hand holding the dagger hang still.

Chook-

Something hot sprayed across her face with a cracking sound.

When Agatha opened her eyes, the once-dark bedroom had long since been brightly lit by the torn curtains and moonlight streaming through the wide-open terrace door.

Behind the crumbling body of the intruder stood a figure a handful taller and thicker than him.

Short, messy blue hair and cold, hard gray eyes.

Enoch stood there, gritting his teeth, holding a bloody sword.

He stepped on the neck of the one who had collapsed and stroked her blood-soaked cheek. The man's breathing was ragged.

“Lord, kill me!”

Enoch turned around. The man who had crushed the six intruders with a single blow to their necks returned and stepped on the broken man's neck again.

“Why did you do that?”

Crunch...!

Only then was Agatha able to regain her senses at the sound of bones breaking.

She looked up blankly and had an expression on his face that she had never seen before.

“Why did you stimulate interest? You must have known that it would be better to wait for support while giving in to moderate demands.”

“...What’s your business? Don’t bother with my business.”

The moment he barely opened his mouth, the man's breathing became ragged once again.

“I originally planned to wait until you felt better. Since I was wrong, I tried to endure it somehow and wait...”

“...”

“This is not it. Do you think I would just sit by and watch you die?”

The man's voice was cracked as if it had been scraped with a pitchfork.

Agatha couldn't take her eyes off Enoch's painfully distorted face.

Why now?

“...Go tell that to your lover. I don’t need it.”

“Lover? I told you I’m different from your ex-husbands.”

“Or is it because you still need me? Because I am ‘Nobilis’?”

His vivid gray eyes stared at her as if they could pierce through her.

Agatha looked at him as if she was possessed without realizing it. The man she had finally met properly after a long time had a face that was very damaged, unlike his strong appearance.

A sharp jaw and thin cheeks that look like cuts from the flesh.

The moment he tightened his grip on the dagger to avoid the throbbing pain in his chest, he opened and closed his mouth tightly.

“I like you.”

“...!”

“You are the only woman I have ever given my heart to in my life.”

Agatha looked up at him blankly, surprised.

“Now, what...”

“...”

The man who had been silently looking down at her rubbed his dry eyes.

“...Now, I don’t know if I am qualified to do this, but I will take this opportunity to execute your relatives. So.”

The man who had carelessly thrown down his sword reached out to Agatha.

“Put down that dagger and come here, Agatha.”

Don't drive people crazy there.

At last, harsh words that sounded like the wind and were not his answer swept through her eardrums.

Agatha looked up at him blankly, then staggered and stood up from her seat.

What did he just say?

Her eyes were trembling, fluttering, filled with hope, anticipation, doubt, and confusion.

Agatha let go of the dagger in her hand. He simply held out his hand and waited until the dagger snapped back and began to move of its own accord on the slick red floor.

As if she had to come by herself.

As she approached, Enoch wrapped his arms around her shoulders and held her in his arms. The hands that had been mercilessly cutting down the intruders were trembling slightly.

“Did I hurt you so much? Enough to make you want to die?”

“... I just didn’t want to please the intruder. Please continue with what you just said.”

Agatha looked down. The military uniform top in front of her and the part of the cloth she was touching was slightly torn.

Even so, why were the decorations and clothes of the man who lightly attacked and suppressed the intruders torn?

It was when Agatha suddenly turned her gaze to the open terrace.

“Esther was a woman sent by my relatives to take my heir.”

“...!”

“I’ve been holding out for three years without dying, so I guess they thought it couldn’t go on like this.”

It was a common occurrence. Aren't there many people who want to kidnap Agatha and make her their successor?

Agatha looked at Enoch reflexively. The man had buried his head in her shoulder and was not easily able to show his face.

"...Enoch."

“She was an orphan from a fallen noble family with nowhere to go. I chose a woman I didn’t care about even if she died...”

"Enoch."

“I saw a woman desperately begging me to stay by her side and to like her, and I thought, what crime can I have against her? So I allowed her to be on the battlefield. I didn’t like her, but I was willing to take responsibility.”

Maybe he didn't mind risking an extra life when he was about to die.

It was a large-scale war of occupation that lasted for a full ten years.

Agatha felt dizzy as her vision of his situation appeared before her eyes, but the man did not move an inch.

"Enoch!"

“Are you finally calling my name now?”

It had been only a few days since she had properly said his name.

Enoch let out a sigh of relief and laughed self-deprecatingly.

“I’m sorry I overlapped you with that woman. I wanted you to like me, but at that time, I thought of that woman’s betrayal rather than your confession.”

“...Did that woman harm you?”

“When the army’s defeat grew stronger, she poisoned me and fled. The reward of my relatives would have been a better choice than a soon-to-be-dead successor.”

The man slowly turned his head and muttered softly.

And then she appeared in front of him again.

Agatha felt dizzy from the sudden anger.

“Why didn’t you say anything!”

“I was going to tell you. After meeting Esther again, I realized what a fool I was being.”

The man with the low smile whispered that before, he had strangely been unable to open his mouth to talk about the past. Agatha clenched her fists.

“What did that woman say?”

“Are you curious?”

“You say that...!”

Enoch hugged Agatha tightly, who was raising her head, and buried his lips in her hair.

“I’ve basically finished sorting things out now. I’ve dealt with the relatives who instigated the incident seven years ago and the current incident and that woman will soon be punished for what she did.”

“Ugh.”

“So don’t be angry.”

A few days ago, it seemed like this was the reason the Knights of Aratus moved.

If she had looked carefully, she would have known.

'But. I didn't have time at that time...'

As Agatha thought about that, her throat strangely felt choked up.

Agatha now felt like she wanted to raise a hand.

It seemed that those who had shamelessly planned this even 7 years ago, and even now, and the rest of the relatives could not be left alone.

“I’m going to take this opportunity to organize the family internally.”

“You are the mistress of the Aratus family, so no one will be able to say anything no matter what you do.”

It was when Agatha quietly dug into Enoch's arms.

Bang!

The inner room door in the distance opened violently. Agatha, startled, held on to Enoch tightly.

“Madam, are you okay?”

Those who poured in were the First Vice-Captain, Leon Takran, and the knights of Aratus.

“Sir Leon.”

Leon, who was relieved to see Agatha safe, soon made a mysterious expression.

Agatha suddenly realized what she looked like. She tried to quickly escape from Enoch's embrace, but he wouldn't budge.

"Report."

Leon, who had been hesitating, pretended not to see and focused on his work.

This can't be happening.

Agatha felt a little betrayed.

“Of the 150 intruders, half were killed and half were captured. We did capture the one who was commanding from outside...”

Leon looked around the messy bedroom. There were no survivors among those who had intruded into the bedroom.

“The prisoners.”

“For now, I locked them in the underground prison.”

“Are they fit to be questioned?”

The gentle vice-captain smiled as if he was seeing him for the first time.

“If you let they go, they’ll be able to travel across the empire.”

“That’s fortunate. Thanks for your hard work, Leon.”

It'll take a long interrogation to get them to spit out the truth.

A live captive would have been most helpful in this situation.

While Agatha was writhing in his arms, Leon asked, ordering the surroundings to be cleaned up.

“By the way, may I ask where Hubert is, my lord? I thought he had climbed up the wall like you, but I can’t see him.”

"Yes?"

Agatha looked up at Enoch in surprise.

The newlyweds' house was renovated so that there was no balcony, terrace, or wall to step on, to protect against possible intruders.

“Did you climb up the wall?”

Dangerously?

"Hmm..."

At that moment, he looked slightly embarrassed and avoided eye contact.

There was a shadow slowly appearing on the wide-open terrace.

It was Hubert Karwen, the second vice-captain of the Knights of Aratus, and the knights.

“Here I am, Leon.”



Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments