TPITT - Chapter 84


"Baron Panelo!”

“No, it’s a surprise, Sir Velcram.”

The young man, Baron Andres Panelo, who was looking at the documents, shook his shoulders.

Instead of brushing away his surprised heart, he greeted Cadeline while wiping his monocle.

“What is it, Sir Velcram? Why are you so angry again?”

“Are you saying that the royal family is coming to see the mine again?”

“I heard that the main mission is to explore the Gelkatos Canyon. But while they're here, they should also take a look around the Magic Mine.”

Cadeline ground her teeth at Andres' answer.

“How much more are they going to squeeze out of me this time?”

“Be careful what you say, Sir Velcram.”

“That’s right. The only thing the royal family is interested in is the magic stone. They don’t even think about the tragedy at the scene. The homunculus that is being taken away is not even in my sight!”

“Ugh..."

Andres also groaned, having no other words to say.

In fact, Prince Rubio, who visited as part of his public activities not long ago, said something like that.

It was a one-dimensional statement to please the Emperor by increasing the working hours of the homunculus, as the Emperor was deeply troubled by the problem of decreasing mining output.

Rubio already had homunculus exhausted from hard work and the poor environment in which they lived.

It seemed that the bottom of the exhausted open-pit mine was no longer visible after being dug down 500 meters.

Andres also felt a sigh of relief rising from within.

But once he was the head of the household and a superior, he had to console Cadelin and caution her in her speech.

“The main purpose of this visit is to see the new magic stone mine, so please focus on that. And it's not just you who come here, Her Highness the Third Princess and His Highness the First Prince, too. I heard Madam has been exchanging letters with me about the 7th princess's personality. Maybe the Seventh Princess will be a little different.”

“Yes, it would be different. She was given an important mission, even though she was superior to her older sister.

How evil must one's character be to be able to defeat even the 3rd Princess who is impatient to squeeze out the homunculus? Are you scared?"


“Oh, please... Be careful what you say..."

He gave the order almost in tears, but Cadelin turned a deaf ear.

She had no intention of changing her perception of the royal family with a few words of admonition from her boss on the day of her death.

Cadeline said sharply.

“Whether the discovery of a new magic mine is successful or not, the imperial family will seek to further exploit the homunculus working in the existing magic mines.”

“That’s right. Increasing the workload has been considered the short-term solution for more than a day or two.”

“If they don’t find a new magic light, things will get worse. They have to achieve something to be able to return to the Imperial City.”

It was then that a middle-aged butler knocked and delivered the important news.

“Her Highness the Seventh Princess’s expedition team will arrive soon. Please come and meet them now.”

“You have to go out.”

Andres got up from the chair, his body as heavy as his heart.

“Let’s go greet the distinguished guest.”

Under the direction of their landlady, Baroness Panelo, the Baron's Castle received Eve's party with great hospitality.

Although the warp portal greatly reduces travel time, the Panelo estate is located in a remote area where it has spent quite a long time traveling along country roads by carriage and horse.

I decided to get rid of the hangover today and start my mission tomorrow.

Baron and Baroness Panelo invited important figures to a dinner party.

Eve and Alben, along with Count Hosen Sanchez and the High Wizard Natasha Emrick, sat around the banquet hall.

Cadeline, a vassal and subordinate secretary of the Baron's family, was also granted a position.

I sat at the highest table and was served a meal.

The dish that the Baron's chef put his heart and soul into was a duck dish braised with figs and wine.

I could feel the depth of flavor from the juicy meat that burst out with every bite and the sweet yet savory sauce.

“Do you like the food, Your Highness?”

“I can see how much care you have taken to treat me at the Baron’s Castle, Madam.”

Baroness Panelo, Linricia Panelo, and I had met at Rosenite's birthday banquet.

A conversation began naturally as the two became acquainted.

“Your Highness, it is truly an honor to be able to serve you at the Panelo Estate.”

“I never thought I would be reunited with my wife like this on my first mission."

“That is correct, Your Highness.”

“Somehow I feel like our relationship is special.”

“Oh my. Hohoho.”

I watched with satisfaction as a romantic light appeared in the Baroness's eyes, keeping hidden the fact that it had been planned since the banquet.

“Madam, I received a letter saying that the embankment and fence of the estate were repaired. I wanted to write a reply and send it myself, but I ended up coming here in person.”

“We also took the opportunity to strengthen the bridge piers and sewerage facilities so that they can last for the next 100 years. After preparing to this extent, it’s to the point where we have to wait for the 50-year flood cycle.”

“It is reassuring that the Baroness can speak so confidently. I am sure that the Baron’s subjects will be safe during this year’s rainy season.”

“Everything is thanks to Your Highness’s care."

Eve and Linricia's friendly conversation made the meal comfortable.

The lord Andres felt greatly relieved and tried to take a bite of the duck meat.

At that moment, Cadeline, who had no time to worry about his superior's indigestion, intervened.

“I am touched as a subject that Her Highness the 7th Princess is so interested in taking care of the people’s livelihood. I don’t know what to do with myself.”

Andres' face turned grave.

I also felt that her intervention was somewhat unexpected and gave her a puzzled look.

“You?”

“This is Cadeline Velkram, the general manager in charge of the Magic Mine site.”

“Huh, you’re the site manager?”

My amber eyes sparkled.

I've heard a lot about her, having held the position of general manager for an unusually long time.

Most of it was content that gave me a good impression.

So I waited for Cadeline's next words with a friendly attitude.

Cadeline opened her mouth, suppressing the resentment boiling in her stomach.

“The existing open-pit mines are so difficult to dig that you can barely find a single grain of sand. Even if you squeeze it, it is difficult to expect meaningful results. So, throw away the patterns that give little results compared to the effort. How about you devote your time during your stay to the great task of discovering a new magic light? The discovery of the magic light is truly necessary for the people’s livelihood. If you can accomplish this, all the people will praise you.”

“Hmm..."

It meant that I should not go near the existing Galamut Magic Mine and should just dig a valley.

I smiled, narrowing my eyes as if revealing my transparent insides.

“Ve, ve, Sir Velcram. Oh, please."

Andres looked like he wanted to shut Cabeline's mouth right away.

Linricia, a long-time friend of Cabeline's, was also smiling, but the dining knife in her right hand was facing the wrong way.

It was at that time that the Baron and his wife were anxious. A fierce reaction came out from an unexpected direction.

“That’s not right!”

A man who resembled a mean dwarf shouted. He was Count Hosen Sanchez.

“Shouldn’t we first establish a short-term plan? First, let’s go to the mine and squeeze out the homunculus... No, the right order is to look into it and then move on to short-term measures!”

“Who determines the order of time? Why? The order is determined by importance. It’s right to focus on things that have a big reward.”

“Haven’t we already decided that a short-term solution will give us time to move on to the next step? We need to start with the mines.”

“I told you that if you search the mine, nothing will come out. You have to go to the valley first.”

“From the mine!”

“From the valley!”

Cadeline and Hosen were busy holding each other up under the pretext of an unspeakable purpose.

“Everyone, please be careful in front of Her Highness.”

Linricia cautioned against rude behavior.

At that moment, Natasha, a high-ranking magician of the ivory tower who had been quiet until then, spoke up.

“Why are you two fighting over something so strange? Her Highness would naturally deal with them in parallel.”

Even though it was an obvious fact, a look of disappointment crossed Cadeline and Hosen's faces.

I could tell how desperate they were.

I took a sip of my sangria and listened to Natasha speak.

“Yes. First, we’ll look around the canyon tomorrow and finish the necessary groundwork, then we’ll check out the Galamut open-air mine.”

The look on Cadeline's face, dyed in despair, was heartbreaking.

I wanted to reassure her, but unfortunately, many ears were listening, including Hosen.

I lifted my chin and spoke royally.

“As a member of the royal family, I also support Betty’s opinion. I have also been entrusted with the task of increasing the productivity of Magic Stone in the short term. His Majesty trusted me and willingly gave me permission.”

At this point, I put on the coldest expression I could muster.

“Increasing mining volumes depends entirely on the labor of the Homunculus. The problem is that there are gaps and waste in the homunculus management system. We will thoroughly inspect every part and make sure to please His Majesty.”

Cadeline lowered her head at my declaration.

'Ah...! It's all wrong..!

Alben joined soon after.

“Oh, squeezing everything so that there are no gaps is my specialty. I will do my best to assist you, Your Highness.”

“I believe you. Squeeze it really hard.”

I and Alben showed off our vile vassal relationship as if they were nothing. Cadeline, who didn't know anything, bit her lip in pain.

The next day, I led the group, excluding Alben, to the Zelkatos Canyon.

Nicknamed 'Where the World Splits Apart', the Zelkatos Canyon was famous for its deep, dark crevices, like a bottomless pit.

Natasha and about 20 other wizards went underground one kilometer deep.

And I installed a mana-seeking golem starting from the end of the canyon.

Dozens of white cube-shaped golems spread like spores throughout the canyon's air.

The magic stone was a jewel that contained condensed mana.

Therefore, it disrupts the normal flow of mana and interferes with magic cast in the surrounding area.

Of course, the farther away the distance, the less the degree. Mana Seeking Golems were used in the palace.

It was designed to maximize the mana detection ability of the surveillance golem and sound a signal even with the slightest reaction.

I did not go down to the bottom of the canyon but stayed above it.

I chatted with Natasha while admiring the vast canyon under the blue sky.

“There has never been a report of any phenomenon that could occur around the magic stone mine. If you look at it like that, it must be buried deep inside the canyon wall.”

“That’s right. How many curious wizards on the continent have never used flying magic here? I guess it means that even with a moderate sense of smell, you won’t feel any interference.”

“It may be presumptuous of me to say this, but Your Highness the Princess is a person who walks the path of magic, so I am glad that we can communicate well.”

“I like it when you speak so coolly.”

I was here as the general manager, so I treated her like a superior.



Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments