THYU - Chapter 118


"This is truly a noble position." 

Winter looked at Violet and agreed with what Maren said.

"I really like it."

Maren looked pleased at their explosive reaction.

"If I have done wrong, I must make amends. I will not forget the wrong I did to you at the Hestons, nor the kindness I showed you." 

Maren spoke in a soft but powerful tone and returned to her seat.

As she left and it was almost twelve o'clock, a voice called out from behind the couple.

"Winter."

It was Catherine Blooming's voice.

Violet grabbed Winter's arm and spoke quietly, looking displeased.

"The two of you may not shake hands first. That's because your relationship is not good. Then you grab the other person by force." 

"... Isn't that rude?"

"How can I not be rude when I try to take away a title that I don't want to give?"

Winter felt his heart pounding at the sound of Violet's quiet voice. He knew that if she ordered him around in that soft, stern voice, he would have no choice but to listen. While Winter was lost in thought, James Blooming came up to him and offered to shake his hand.

"There you are, Winter. Let's say hello to Lord Karzan.

"..."

Winter looked at Violet with a face that seemed to ask what to do now. Violet was not a weakling, so she was unable to find a way to respond immediately to the Duke and Duchess of Blooming's quick change of stance.

The heads of families usually found their successors and introduced them to the hosts of the succession ceremony. Violet was shocked by the opportunistic attitude of the Duke and Duchess of Blooming. At the same time, she was horrified by the fact that Winter's power was so strong that they had to give in so quickly.

As Winter nervously accepted the handshake, James approached Karzan Heston, taking his hand in both his.

“Lord Karzan.”

"Oh, welcome."

After Karzan greeted him politely, James introduced Winter. 

"This is my son, Winter Blooming."

Then, Karzan unconsciously narrowed his eyes. Winter also had a bewildered expression, but Karzan offered to shake hands first. 

"It's nice to see you again." 

"This is uncomfortable. The person who was going to marry my wife."

At Winter's sarcastic remark, both Karzan and James paused. Violet, who was standing a little further away, also sighed. She told him not to do that, but he didn't listen. While she was worrying about Winter like a child left on the shore, Catherine spoke to Violet.

"Violet, how are you?" 

"Yes, I've been doing well."

"My husband has convinced the Blooming family to accept Winter as his successor. Me too, and my family as well."

"..."

"Are you satisfied now?" 

Catherine looked at Violet with angry eyes.

Violet looked at Winter without saying anything, then shook her head. 

"No."

"What?" 

"My husband might be satisfied with that and stop closing down his southern business. But I'm not satisfied. I..."

Violet continued, looking at her blankly.

"I can't forgive you two in the future. There's no reason to forgive you. You've never asked me for forgiveness."

 "What did we do wrong to you?" 

Violet said, taken aback by her shameless words.

"For the past three years, you have isolated me and tricked me into believing that I had a child."

Then Catherine smiled elegantly.

"You really have a knack for making others look bad. That's why our son was fooled by your words and broke up with us."

"..."

"Violet, who here is worse than you, the one who caused the separation between parents and their son?"

Violet remembered what Winter had said. It is easy to suddenly increase your spending, but it is difficult to reduce it even a little.

That was exactly what it said. They chose to hide their faces rather than cut back on spending. Catherine continued.

"I don't think we did anything that bad to you."

"You two drove me to my death." 

Violet's voice was still calm, but her eyes were as cold as a God judging sins. The smile on Catherine's lips gradually disappeared.

"Stop it. You're still joking around." 

"I never joked."

"Anyway, we've decided to make Winter our successor. I feel sorry for Diev, but what can we do? That child is precious to us."

"..."

"The relationship between parents and children is not so easily broken. Our relationship will gradually be restored. You can either accept it or leave if you don't like it. And don't try to cause discord again." 

Catherine's voice was firm and quite high-pitched, so the people around her could hear the argument.

As Violet listened to her story, she found herself wishing that she could swear as easily as Winter did these days.

Even so, she probably wouldn't have been able to treat Winter rudely towards those who he had believed were his parents and followed him since he was at least twelve years old.

Violet opened her mouth.

"Now, my husband is my husband before he is your child. I will prevent your relationship from recovering." 

Violet looked at Catherine with clear eyes and declared.

"My husband has amassed a tremendous amount of wealth and will continue to do so. You two will not be able to enjoy it anymore, even though you had the opportunity." 

"Violet!"

"My husband believes what I say."

Violet spoke firmly and looked at Winter. Then he stopped talking and looked at Violet.

Violet muttered.

"We are no longer a couple who got married for money and power. I love my husband, and he loves me. We are a normal couple now."

She quickly took her eyes off Winter and looked at Catherine.

"So try again. Bring me that terrible medicine again. I will never be able to break away as easily as I used to. I am no longer isolated in the South. I am no longer a Princess, but that does not mean I have no power."

Catherine felt an inexplicable sense of pressure from her words and unconsciously shut her mouth.

Then Winter walked towards his wife, his shoes making a sound that other nobles would not make.

"What's going on?"

"No. I just saw her to see how she was doing."

"We were doing well."

After finishing his answer, Winter grabbed his wife's arm and hid it behind him, looking down at Catherine.

"What did you say to my wife again? She doesn't look so happy."

"Violet said that. She said that you will never be able to reconcile with us."

When Catherine told Winter about it, Violet, who had been stubborn, finally looked embarrassed. Perhaps she had been too dogmatic, so she tried to explain to Winter, but he made a face and said.

"I have no interest in your work as long as I get the title I deserve. I won't even go to the South."

"Winter..."

"You must be busy, so you should go."

Catherine left without saying anything as Winter gestured to the others with a look that seemed to tell them to go away. Violet sighed and pulled Winter's hand.

"Don't be so upset."

"Why am I upset? They're giving me a title." 

"But... Ah, if you become the successor, what will you do with the business in the South?"

"Whether it works or not, the result was the same from the beginning. I will sort out the businesses that need to be sorted out, and I will leave behind the businesses that need to be left behind. Of course, since I am the successor, I will be able to leave behind the businesses that need to be left behind more naturally. I said I was going to close down the business."

"You scared me. Isn't business half about showing off?" 

Violet, who was always old-fashioned, looked shocked at Winter's shameless answer. 

"Even if you receive the title, you plan to settle down your business."

"This is my chance to get rid of the worthless Blooming family leeches that have been clinging to me." 

He answered calmly and laughed viciously.

Violet remembered how every time she made a bet with Winter, she felt like she was losing.

Violet realized belatedly that it wasn't because of her mood, but because Winter had been proposing bets that she would win or lose.

***

After a while, the bell rang to mark 12 o'clock and the succession ceremony began. Winter tried to listen to Violet as much as possible since it was his first time attending such an important event for the nobility. However, even so, he still seemed a bit off compared to other nobles who had been trained in etiquette almost since birth.

The lights in the great hall went out, and Karzan Heston strode briskly toward the priest. He had the gait of a knight of the Rorkround. Karzan walked with steady steps and received from the priest a diamond-set sword, a Heston family heirloom.

Violet absentmindedly looked back at Ash Lawrence, who had originally planned to stand in the priest's seat as compensation. As expected, he had a very unpleasant expression on his face.

And he too looked at Violet with eyes mixed with anger.

Violet smiled without realizing it. It was childish, but she felt like she had won. Since she had always been oppressed by her brother no matter what she did since she was little, the feeling of winning was slightly exhilarating.

And behind her was her mother, Ella Felice.

She was wiping away tears with a handkerchief, perhaps feeling sad that a priest was conducting the succession ceremony in place of her son.

The sight of her again made Violet feel bitter, but Winter's arm wrapped around her waist.

"You have to concentrate, Princess. Karzan Heston will be disappointed."

"Above, Winter. In the sacred place..."

"What? You were doing something else yourself."

Winter spoke harshly, glanced in the direction his wife was looking, then turned around so that she was looking straight ahead again.

The lights were off except where the priest and Karzan Heston were, but it was clearly impolite to be so close. And if the lights were on, how much would people be muttering?

Violet blushed and tried to pull his arm away, but he wouldn't let go. Instead, his lips touched the nape of her neck and then pulled away.

Violet almost screamed for a moment but covered her mouth with both hands. All thoughts about her mother and brother, as well as the meeting with the Duke and Duchess of Blooming, flew out of her mind.

"How can you do something like that in a place like this..."

Violet felt Winter laugh as she spoke in a voice that sounded like she was about to cry.

Soon his arms fell away from Violet. At that moment, the torch-bearing priests began to light the fire again. Violet looked back at Winter with a sigh of relief, her eyes widening as she took out a handkerchief and wiped the pearl off his lips.

"Oh, really. I've never seen anyone like you before." 

Winter smiled at her nagging. Then she felt eyes on them and turned her head to see Carlson there. He wasn't looking at the couple right now, but it was clear that he had been looking at them just a moment ago.

Violet turned her head to follow Winter's gaze and opened her mouth.

"Carlson... brought a gun." 

"Someone from the Kanik staff brought it."

"But isn't there anyone who is that unstable?"

"There is no such thing as a pharmacist." 

Winter said it absentmindedly, then furrowed his brows, feeling a little annoyed.


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments