TCORIYH - Chapter 146


“Your Highness the Crown Princess.”

Judith, who had been walking without even noticing the pain in her shoes, stopped dead in her tracks. The unwelcome voice brought back vivid memories of the terrible experience she had had a few hours ago.

“...It’s unexpected to meet Duke Laetian here.”

“I heard that Your Highness the Crown Prince has been injured. It is only natural that I should ask after his well-being.”

Through the thin, always bloodless lips, she could see the tip of his tongue, moving flexibly as if it had been oiled. It was a snake's tongue. Judith tried to suppress the physiological disgust that was rising around her ankles and closed her eyes calmly.

“Someone tried to harm His Highness the Crown Prince... He must be an extremely vicious man. Have you seen his face?”

A fierce glare rose in Judith's eyes.

“Yes, I saw it. Why are you asking?”

“Does Your Highness the Crown Princess know this person?”

“If I knew him, he wouldn’t be standing here right now. He wouldn’t have been able to escape without digging out his cold heart and throwing it to the wild beasts.”

“Even if the weak Crown Princess did not do such a dangerous thing, wouldn’t Your Majesty have condemned that evil man? A person who did not know how to value life and tried to kill the Crown Prince of a country is not worthy of even a grave.”

Judith tried to calm her increasingly ragged breathing. She observed the words and actions of the Duke of Laetian as closely as possible and thought deeply.

With Queen Gilsis's consciousness not normal, the most likely person to directly hire an assassin to harm Franz was the Duke of Laetian. Even if the Duke himself had not met the assassin, it would have been easier than a piece of cake to recruit someone else who could hire him. 

However, the unfortunate thing was that the assassin had died, so there was no evidence.

“Who would have let such a man loose in the palace hunting grounds?”

While Judith was lost in thought, the Duke of Laetian muttered in a vulgar tone. Judith recalled what Rogero had said. 'This man is not Rotair's man.'

“Yeah, that’s what it was.”

The Duke of Laetian's eyes narrowed at Judith's soft voice.

“Your Highness, what did you say?”

“You have gone to great lengths to avoid being caught, Duke. Did you think that you could avoid being noticed only by hiring someone who was not from Rotair? Or was there no one in Rotair who would kill Franz?”

Duke Laetian felt his blood run cold for a moment at Judith's sharp words. Could she really know what she's talking about? Or was she just casually making a comment?

'No, there's no way this girl would know...'

The Duke of Laetian, who had been silent for a while, suddenly burst into a low laugh. It was a horrible, creepy sound that was hard to bear no matter how you heard it. Judith kept hesitating and trying to back away, but she forced herself to hold on.

“I was wondering what you were talking about...”

“...”

“Your Highness, no matter how much you hate me, don’t you think you are framing me too harshly? Do you think that I brought that beast of a man here to take your life?”

“I’m sure I’m not wrong, but I don’t think the Duke will admit it.”

“Whether I admit it or not, you must have done something for me to admit it, right? What do you think I stand to gain by harming the Crown Prince? Do you think I would take such a risk because it would benefit my sister, the Queen? Or do you think I would do it for the sake of my nephew, Highness Krald?”

“It doesn’t matter what the purpose was. What matters is that the Duke planned and executed this.”

“Then do you have any evidence? Proof that I instigated him to harm the Crown Prince? Did the corpse suddenly rise up and speak? That he was instigated by me to harm the Crown Prince?”

“The corpse speaks no language. But the Duke of Laetian’s attitude speaks volumes to me.”

The expression on the Duke of Laetian’s face changed slightly. The smile that had been playing around his lips as if he was trying to play with Judith disappeared at some point.

“My attitude?”

“The Duke has come to greet me only after hearing the news that His Highness the Crown Prince is injured, and has not once asked me how His Highness is doing. Why? Have he seen his face, or know him? It seems to me that these are more important to the Duke than the safety of His Highness, the Crown Prince, whose life is in danger.”

The Duke of Laetian was speechless for a moment. That brief moment served as a stronger conviction to Judith.

As the Duke had thought, Judith had no evidence. There was nothing decisive that would make her certain that he was the culprit. However, the guess that no one else but him would go to such lengths to harm Franz was correct.

Should I give it a try? It was worth a try.

“Of course I...”

A faint smile appeared on the lips of the Duke of Laetian.

“It was a great mistake that I was so flustered by the dire situation that I did not ask about the Crown Prince’s condition first. I have nothing to say even if His Majesty scolds me, but I think it is too much to frame me with such a big accusation just because of that.”

“If you want to claim that it was a false accusation, then do so. I won’t stop you. However, when the truth behind the incident is revealed, you can look forward to seeing what punishment the judges of the kingdom and His Majesty will hand down to the Duke.”

Judith put special emphasis on the words 'behind' and 'punishment'. Her voice, so deep that not even the tip of a needle could penetrate it, was frosted with the cynicism and contempt that came from conviction.

The Duke's mouth twisted faintly. He knew that Judith was pushing him based on mere conjecture without any evidence. But even knowing this, he could not shake off the unpleasant feeling that he was being entangled in her intentions.

Of course, if he wanted, he could have accused the Crown Princess of trying to falsely accuse him of being innocent without any evidence. But that would be too much of a risk compared to the gain. The judges would be more likely to side with the Crown Princess than with him. 

What if the story leaked out somewhere? What if he missed something and got caught?

‘Could it be that you were aiming for this too...?’

For a brief moment, the Duke calculated carefully. Of course, he could not honestly reveal what he had done, but he concluded that it would be no good provoking Judith any further. As he had felt before, she had a strange insight that was unusual for her age. And she also could execute without any concern for her position.

What was more fearsome than her clever insight was her decisiveness. He knew that the Tudban operation had failed, and he immediately prepared for the next move. The necessary people had already been found, and if he made a proper plan and took advantage of the Crown Prince's weakness, it would be over.

Judith stepped forward to block his path. It was just a few words without any evidence, but in the blink of an eye, the Duke fell into the trap Judith had laid out, knowingly.

“I have heard that Your Highness the Crown Princess is meticulous even toward her subordinates, but seeing her so suspicious of me makes me reflect on myself.”

The Duke of Laetian smiled faintly. However, only the corners of his lips moved slightly, so in the end, only a subtle impression remained. He continued.

“If Your Highness is thinking of me as the mastermind behind this incident, I have no other choice. Please investigate to your heart’s content. If I can clear my name by doing so, I promise to cooperate.”

“Duke, you still treat me like an idiot.”

Judith replied dryly. The Duke paused again at this unexpected response, and she came closer, leaning on the railing of the corridor.

“I will not clear the Duke’s name. Do you want me to investigate? Of course, I can. But it will not be legal. I do not trust your cunning.”

"What..."

“You promise to cooperate even though you believe I have no evidence? Duke of Laetian, you are completely mistaken. It is not you who is cooperating. Rather, it is you who should be asking for my cooperation. If you want to preserve that neck for even a little longer.”

The expression was harsh, but the voice was still calm as if they were having a meaningless chat. When Judith took a step closer, the Duke took a step back without realizing it. At that moment, the round hair blew in the wind and brushed the cheek of the Duke of Laetian. There was a deep scent of Isis.

“I can create evidence.”

The Duke of Lytian's body swayed for a moment. Judith straightened her back without supporting him.

"Ha...."

A cold laugh erupted. The Duke’s brow furrowed as he could not hold back his anger. He could not bear the fact that he had been manipulated so much by the young Crown Princess. He glared at Judith and rushed forward as if he would slap her cheek. However, he could not raise his hand and only gasped.

Judith said, looking straight up at his face, which was almost touching.

“Let me make a suggestion.”

“A suggestion?”

The Duke's voice was almost a groan. His crumpled expression was now without any composure.

“A wicked and persistent person like you would never have prepared just this one move. Now that the one who tried to harm the Crown Prince is dead, what will happen next?”

“Your Highness, you have a rich imagination. But don’t you think you use your tongue too freely?”

Judith continued speaking, completely ignoring the Duke's babbling.

“If you promise to do all the next numbers you have prepared, I will promise you one thing in return.”

“Are you trying to bribe me with money or something? I am afraid I have plenty of money. I am not lacking in any position either. Whatever Your Highness the Crown Princess proposes will be of no value to me.”

Judith's lips, which were shut tightly, trembled slightly. She took a slow breath and forced her eyes open wide.

He dismissed it as worthless, but that was not true. The Duke of Laetian was a greedy man by nature. Such men know no satisfaction. Even if it was a very small bait, if it was something he had not yet grasped, he would certainly not be able to let it go.

“The position of the Grand Duke of the Second Prince. I will give it to you. And I will persuade His Majesty to designate you as the next in line of succession to the position of the Grand Duke.”

The narrow eyes of the Duke of Laetian opened wide. Their bodies, which had been clinging menacingly, parted slightly. Only then did Judith realize that goosebumps had appeared all over the back of her neck.



Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments