IHMEB - Chapter 149 < Invisible Scales >




“I will take care of my wife.”

“My Lord?”

“Is there a problem?”

Kaian raised his eyebrows and then stopped.

“This is a time that the Duchess specifically allowed. Let both of you engrave your gratitude in your hearts.”

“Would it be possible, Your Excellency?"

When Rohan openly liked it, Hannah poked him in the side with her elbow.

As they disappeared, flirting, Claudel muttered involuntarily.

“You’re saying you’re going to have a secret relationship like that?”

"Hmm? Lover, who?"

Kaian asked with a look in his eyes that told her he was seeing this for the first time.

“Those two. It’s been a while since they met.”

"What? Hannah and Rohan?”

“Didn’t you know that you sent them away?”

“...Greatness."

Kaian cleared his throat instead of answering.

'What? You sent them without even knowing that they were dating?'

When Claudel looked at him with a puzzled gaze, Kaian, who avoided her eyes, looked up at the ship and spoke.

“We have to go up quite a bit. Are you okay?”

"Yes."

“You said you’ve never been on a boat. It would shake. Would you rather have me carry you up?”

“Please just hold my hand. I want to go up there myself.”

“As you wish."

The tall man only held her hand, but she was very stable as if she was climbing up while holding on to a sturdy railing.

“Come down carefully.”

Kaian jumped onto the deck first, and without any hesitation or caution, he scooped her up under the railing and held her down. Kaian then looked at the lightly fluttering skirt.

“What are you wearing?”

Only then did he frown when he saw the red lace dress Claudel was wearing.

“The night breeze is quite cold.”

“It’s okay because I wore a cape on the outside.”

“Did Madame Marcel let you go out wearing such flimsy things?”

“She brought something thinly quilted, so I said no because I was frustrated. I was afraid it would be more difficult if I got motion sick.”

“If it’s cold, you have to go into the cabin. It would be difficult if you caught a cold.”

"Yes. All right."

As Claudel responded obediently, the strength around Kaian's eyes disappeared and his eyes softened.

Claudel felt sad looking at that.

'Nothing happens when we talk about trivial things like this.'

It was only when I had trivial conversations like this with Kaian that the couple's relationship was amicable.

Isn’t marriage usually a lifelong promise?

Is it possible to spend a lifetime together and just talk about things like the weather, meal menus, and daily schedules?

My time with Kaian as a couple over the past few years was like just dipping my toes in very shallow water.

When I tried to talk seriously or tell my honest thoughts, Kaian coldly dismissed me even when I confessed that I really liked him.

Perhaps that man treated me that way because that was his sincerity.

Because what I said wasn't a light joke.

There was an invisible scale between me and Kaian.

On the other side, a heavyweight called Vermont was placed. Words placed on an empty plate were passed over if they were lighter than that, but if they became heavy enough to tip the balance beam, my origins inevitably became an issue. 

'He says that I will be Temnes someday.'

I remembered how happy I was to hear that I was no longer a Vermont but now a Temnes.

I thought that the man who did not force the enemy woman with Herzol from the hostess's room to the guest room accepted her place.

But I wonder how funny she must have been when she saw that everyone liked her every word without realizing that everyone was mocking her behind her back in the first place.

Kaian couldn't go into deeper water with me.

A line was drawn that we could not reach as deeply into each other's hearts as I wanted.

He might send me to Burbrook. Because he was a person who could think like that.

Because he was a person who thought that he could save my dying self out of necessity and save ny unborn child due to another need.

I was fearless and brave when I didn't know, but when I found out, I felt empty and was even afraid of Kaian.

While I stood blankly on the bow and looked out at the wide lakeshore, the workers diligently set the boat on course.

Originally, the King was attending the event where the lords also rode on remodeled wooden boats, so the boat they prepared was busy to match the status, and it was quite proper. It was higher than the surrounding ships, so the view was clear.

I closed my eyes for a moment, feeling the wind blowing with as much force as the boat was pushing.

"Lady!"

When I woke up to a voice calling me from somewhere, Rohan and Hannah in a small boat were waving passionately at me with both arms raised.

"Hannah!"

"Lady! Lady!"

I smiled and shook my hand.

Luckily for her, Hannah, who was born and raised in the mountains, didn't seem to suffer from seasickness on the boat. Seeing how excited she is.

Looking across from me, I saw a brightly lit boat carrying the King slowly cutting through the water a short distance away.

In a place full of small boats and festival boats, the boat that Valquiterre and Bianque rode showed off its extraordinary majesty, like a huge catfish approaching a place where minnows play.

However, despite the festival atmosphere that was ripening, Bianque's complexion did not look good. I could see her shaking her head and lowering her back as if she was retching, and after a while, she quickly disappeared into her cabin.

Valquiterre, who was left alone on the deck, turned his head, looked towards me, raised his arm, and waved it.

“What are you looking at so carefully?”

Kaian asked as I looked at the ship carrying Valquiterre.

“Do you want that boat?”

“It looks good.”

“The reason I didn’t invest in ships is because they are of little use. I don’t normally ride it, but if I park it on the water, the boat will get damaged.”

Kaian said, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand as if he was worried.

“It would be convenient to have multiple cabins. If you want a ship like that, it might be a good idea to buy a new one.”

"Yes."

“Were you interested in boats too?”

"No."

“Didn’t you say that you wanted to travel after seeing something like the Hindenburg Continental Explorer?”

"Yes. What?"

I answered half-heartedly, causing the conversation to go nowhere, and Kaian narrowed his eyes.

“What's going on? Are you protesting against me now?”

“Are I protesting?”

“You have a very bad attitude.”

“Me? It can’t be.”

I avoided eye contact.

“How could I do that when you hold me safely in your hands?”

“That’s the longest thing I’ve heard today.”

“I guess it’s my mood.”

I didn't really want to say anything more to Kaian.

“You don’t care what I think anyway.”

I'm in a situation where I should be grateful, but I'm saying harsh things like I don't even know the subject.

When I turned away from him, Kaiannl cupped my face and made me look at him.

His hands were careful. It was soft as if there were concerns that I would break if applied too hard as if it were a difficult and precious piece of glass.

“Why are you doing this?”

Kaian's attitude made me more angry.

“Why am I like this? Because I have a good grasp of the topic now. Just leave me alone.”

Kaian frowned at her words.

“Are you being sarcastic?”

“Kaian.”

My heart pounded ominously.

“You don’t mind if you hurt me.”

"What?"

“Stories of this and that. Knowing that what you say can hurt me.”

Nevertheless, he would pour out as much as he needed on me without any hesitation.

“I wanted to be Temnes.”

I slowly chewed his name in my mouth.

“Like you said, I really didn’t come here to become a Duchess. Still, I wanted to be there.”

As I spoke, my eyes felt sore as if tears were coming out.

“Why are you saying that now?”

“Is it a problem that I’m a Vermont? Really?"

Is it just that he can't accept me? Is that the only reason why he doesn't like me but can't like me?

I wished there was at least one other reason. That way, it would be easier for me to understand why he couldn't accept me.

“Is there anything else to say?”

But the bad man did not allow even such a small wish.

“...Yes."

I felt as if all the energy was draining from my body.

Suddenly, the surroundings became dark, and the lanterns floated by the residents of the territory, making a fuss while making wishes, flowed over the lake.

I looked for a long time at the cluster of lights swimming across the black water, like fireflies flying in the night sky.

“You know. It was a misunderstanding that I sent the telegram to the Duke of Vermont.”

“What do you mean I misunderstood? Do you think you did something wrong when reporting my situation?”

“And what you heard in the royal castle. That wasn’t really the case either.”

“I have good ears. If you say it’s not, let’s just say it is something like that.”

Kaian responded a little nervously.

“Why are you bringing up such things now?”

"Just... I wanted to tell you.”

I shrugged my shoulders and coughed softly.

“Cough. Cough.”

When Kaian saw that, there was a look of reproach in his eyes.

“You’re coughing again.”

“Cough.”

“To think of going on a boat at night dressed so poorly.”

Kaian touched the cloak I was wrapped in and sighed.

“I’ll bring you something to wear.”

I stared at him for a moment as he headed towards the cabin.

***

While gathering things to give to Claudel inside the boat, Kaian pondered what he said a moment ago.

“Misunderstanding?”

But. It did not contain any fatal or important information to make it seem like she was acting as a spy.

'If I was going to send it to the Duke of Vermont, I could have used someone else's name instead of Hannah.'

She could have paid money to a castle maid or something.

“We will have a chance to talk again slowly.”

There was plenty of time if only they could get rid of the flood of events.

In the meantime, he felt relieved just because Claudel had excused herself in the castle saying that what he had overheard was not what he had thought.

“Even if she put a knife to my throat, I don’t think I would suffer.”

It was unimaginable that Claudel would raise a knife at him.

Aren't things going wrong and she's paying so much attention to something she says out of anger? It was proof that Claudel still had feelings for him.

However, when Kaian returned to the deck, he froze in place.

The woman had taken off her cloak and shoes and was standing over the bow, stepping on the thin flagpole that hung over her water.

“...Claudel.”


Previous                    Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments