IHMEB - Chapter 147 < Protecting The Baby >




“The guard in front of Madam’s room. This is a transaction that the Lord told me not to make.”

“Oh my, really?”

The sounds of the maids whispering amidst the liveliness of the festival could still be heard.

'Why do I hear stories I don't want to hear so well?'

What I wanted to know was not answered by Kaian. There were still frustrating questions lingering in my mind, but the voice that I was better off not knowing flowed into my ears.

“Aren’t there supposed to be two guards in front of Madam's bedroom?”

"Yes. However, if people are precious, it will be worth protecting them. It was a marriage the lord did not want.”

“Besides, Vermont.”

The maids giggled amongst themselves.

“I’m glad that her next opponent is an orchard manager.”

"I know. Mr. Burbrook is one of the richest people in the territory, in terms of size.”

“If the Lord sends her to a monastery, she won’t be able to go outside for the rest of her life.”

I habitually covered my lower abdomen with both hands. I was doing this for no reason, hoping that the baby wouldn't know these words that the mother couldn't hear and that the ears of the living being that couldn't block their ears wouldn't hear these sounds.

“Just leave them alone!”

When she turned around, Hannah was staring at her, rolling up her sleeves with a grim look on her face.

“I want to go back to my room.”

"Wait. If you give me 5 seconds, I can get them to be quiet. Oh, let go of this!”

Oh. The maids who saw them made surprised noises, pulled on their headscarves, turned their heads, and ran away.

"Hey! You guys don’t stand there! I told you to come here!”

Only after all the maids ran away did I let go of my hold on Hanna.

“I’m going to stop taking walks. The surroundings are so messy because of the water banquet.”

“...Lady."

On the way back to my room, Hannah secretly held my hand.

“If there is a rumor going around that you have resigned, it is a rumor that will be completely silenced. It was an accident.”

"Yes."

I answered half-heartedly. Hannah's face relaxed a little, saying that such an answer was acceptable.

'Kaian really didn't treat me with respect.'

When I tried to say this, my friend, who had become a faithful servant to Temnes, even sacrificing her soul, got blood in her neck and took his side, saying that Kaian was not that kind of person.

'So I won't say anything.'

I was very exhausted from what I had experienced over and over again. My position was very precarious if Kaian did not accept me and my baby.

'Saying that he only likes the body was really ignorant of the topic.'

I should have been happy to have my value recognized as the wife he had been sold for.

He would have just left me to die, but I let down my guard because it was such a hassle to get precious medicine to save me. That he could take away the gifts just because he was her lover at any time.

'I can't believe you say she doesn't give her heart to a man like that.'

It was truly absurd.

I felt as if all my thoughts and overheard words passed by meaninglessly.

Nothing made sense.

The moment Kaian told me that my red hair was terrible, I felt like my heart was shattered.

The heart that was beating now did not belong to me.

It was the responsibility of an innocent baby born to such parents.

Ironically, although Kaian said that a baby with Vermont blood would never be born, it was because of my baby's presence that I did not feel pessimistic even when I was pushed to the edge.

‘Baby. Just be patient.'

I braced myself. First, I decided to think only about how to protect my child.

As I walked down the drab hallway and returned to the guest room, Madame Marcel was waiting to greet me.

“I thought you might have gone for a walk,” she said.

“What’s going on?”

Madame Marcel was also well aware of Burbrook's major accident in the castle, so she looked at my notice very carefully as she spoke.

“I brought you a new dress to wear tomorrow. Would you like to see it now?”

The torso that Madame Marcel had erected at the foot of the narrow bed was covered with a white cloth.

Madame Marcel covered up her clothes in this way, but she liked to display them dramatically. She looked at Claudel and Hannah in amazement, and she would clap her hands and be delighted, as if she had received a great compliment.

But I didn't want to waste my energy on such entertainment today.

“Okay, take it back.”

"Yes?"

“I don’t want to wear a new dress. I’ll just choose something more comfortable, so don’t worry about it.”

The new dress, placed in a narrow space among the furniture of the low-level guest room that was barely prepared because the castle was full of guests, seemed unreasonable.

Just like me was in this situation.

“Ah. No. That’s...”

Madame Marcel hesitated.

“His Majesty the King and Princess Bianque will be at the banquet tomorrow. The Duchess should dress up for this once-a-year event held at the estate.”

I said, my eyes scanning the hem of the dress hanging under the fabric.

“I don’t like this thick quilted fabric because it’s stuffy.”

“I heard it’s quite cold at night at the lake, so I was careful.”

“I’d like to wear something lighter, made of lace. I’ll put a cloak over it or something.”

“But...”

Madame Marcel, who had been observing my complexion, sighed and lowered her head.

“Yes, Madame. I will prepare it accordingly.”

In the end, before she could even watch the show of removing the white fabric, the bulky torso was carried out by the servants in its entirety through the narrow guest room door.

Hannah felt sorry for Madame Marcel, who had disappeared with her shoulders relaxed.

“You should have tried it on.”

“I don’t like thick clothes. I can’t vomit because it’s stuffy. I might get seasick.”

“The doctor said he’ll bring you some anti-seasick medicine, so just wait and see.”

There was no way they could enjoy boating in the frozen land of the North. If they were to go on a boat this time, it would be the first time for both Hannah and me.

“You shouldn’t catch a cold.”

“This isn’t the North. It’s cold at night in Rowen.”

“You can’t take just any medicine because of the baby. You have to be careful.”

Hannah brought a hot water bottle and placed it on my skirt, then placed my cold hands on top of it.

Then she carefully wrapped my cheeks with my own hands, which had warmed up from making the water bottle.

“You’re so pale. Why are you? Your whole body is cold.”

“Hannah.”

“Yes?”

“Actually... I overheard Kaian talking to His Majesty the King.”

I met her eyes from a short distance away.

“What did he say?”

“A child with the blood of Vermont mixed in Temnes should not be born.”

“What?”

“I happened to hear that.”

Hanna shook her head, as if shocked.

“What on earth are you talking about?”

“A child with the blood of an enemy would be difficult. Considering my uncle’s personality, it would be burdensome.”

Even Hannah, who had unconditionally protected Kaian, saying “That’s ridiculous” a few days ago, could no longer say that. Hannah’s thoughts had changed because of the Burbrook incident.

“With mom and dad like this, will the child be thankful for giving birth to me?”

“Madam.”

“Even if we end up living together in a monastery for a long time without being able to go out. Will you think it was a good thing that the child was born?”

I was no longer sad or sorrowful. As the two or three shocks hit my heart, which I thought could not be pierced any bigger, I felt my emotions dry up.

“I’m so upset that I have no power. My choices don’t matter at all.”

I thought that I would rather break Kaian than become a flower that would break someday.

To me, Kaian was also a mysterious flower blooming beautifully in the barren land.

That’s why I wanted to treat him more preciously and cherish him.

That person didn’t want that.

However, emotions cannot always be the same on both sides. Just like when I kissed Kaian first.

It was just that my heart hardened after I found out his true feelings.

“A monastery? I won’t let that happen.”

Hannah gripped my hand tightly.

“I can’t protect your honor, but I’ll take you and run away.”

As if she sensed something in my eyes, Hannah said solemnly.

“If that’s true, I’ll do whatever it takes to protect you.”

“Thank you, Hannah.”

But it was my job to protect the baby.

***

On the day of the long-awaited water banquet, the castle and the lakeside were in an uproar.

The autumn fief festival was held in the town square a little way from the castle. The ball, which was the first in nearly ten years, was not an event for the fiefs, and since it was held in the castle, there was no commotion outside.

The fiefs had gathered in the castle, sharing drinks and food, and were already drunk, so they went to the lakeside and chatted. It was hard to say where the chaos was greater.

The cook was very busy cutting.

On a large piece of wax paper, a thinly sliced ​​piece of bread was placed, and on top of that, a slice of well-done roast pork dripping with fat was placed. The cook quickly tied the rolled-up thing with a string and shouted to those standing in line,

“Many people are waiting, so prepare your ID in advance! Next!”

A woman who must have come from quite a distance, wearing a dusty hood pulled down and a scarf pulled up to her cheek, held out her ID. An inexperienced assistant who seemed to be no more than an adult pretended to glance at it and quickly handed her a bundle of food tied on a string.

“Take it and get out of the way! I’m busy! I’m busy!”

He nagged.

The woman who left headed toward the lakeside. After avoiding the noisy place and following the lakeside for a while, she finally reached a place where there were no people because the rough terrain was too dense for boats to dock.

The woman sat down with a thud, moistened her mouth with the alcohol she had obtained from the castle, and quickly began eating the oily bread and meat from the bundle.

As if she had been starving for several days, she was chewing and swallowing little by little, but her swallowing speed was unusual.

The woman who had eaten a long time roughly wiped the oil from her lips with her sleeve and touched her chest with her hand. She felt something long and tightly wrapped from her chest to her side under the traveler’s hooded robe that was loosely turned over.

Madame Cronach said as if chewing, glaring at the Rowen Castle that was soaking in the festive atmosphere from quite a distance away.

“The day has finally come when I can return the sword to my enemy.”


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments