FYERIL - Chapter 3 < The Aria Of The Concubine >




The sunlight was visible.

The midday sun twinkled and tangled on my eyelashes.

What I could hear was the beautiful piano melody. And my grandfather’s soft voice.

Oh my, you’re smiling so well. You already know how to enjoy the beauty of a sonata. You’re truly my granddaughter! You might even become a musician who follows in my footsteps.”

My beloved granddaughter, my muse.

My grandfather whispered affectionately and the little girl smiled without even understanding his words.

That was my first memory.

“Father! Don’t tease Ariana. How can such a young child play the piano already? Come here, baby. Let’s have a snack.”

“No, I’m telling you! She really knows how to harmonize!”

As I looked at my grandfather's and mother’s smiles were so clear I could almost touch them, I realized.

‘Ah, I really....’

I'm dying.

This scene is the last play that the God of death plays in the eyelids of the dying, a kaleidoscope called life.

In the next scene, the child is crying sadly in front of the funeral of his maternal grandfather and mother.

It was a sudden death. And from that day on, the 'musical powerhouse' Count Lopez family faced a steep decline.

Unlike my maternal grandfather, my father's songs received harsh reviews from critics one after another.

"Damn it! Now that I'm out of the shadow of that boring old man, you want me to make a copycat? Huh! Don't make me laugh. Now I'm Count Lopez!" 

The more this happened, the more stubbornly his father released songs that were far from the 'authentic Lopez style'.

As if he was trying to compensate for the years he had spent watching his parents' faces as if he had been sold to the Count Lopez family as a son-in-law.

The audience gradually decreased at the Lopez Opera House. My father, who had run out of money, finally put my maternal grandfather's songs on stage, but it was too late.

My father was drunk every day. He would often drag a woman home while drunk, kissing her wrist.

Then one day, he brought a girl with him.

“Hello, say hello. She’s going to be your little sister from now on.”

She was a cute girl, like a doll.

For the first time, I thought God had granted my wish. I had always wanted a little sister.

“Are you a Princess? Elena, I’ve only seen such sparkly dresses in fairy tales!”

Elena was like a gift from God.

In a house where my drunken father and my brother who hated me came and went, Elena was the only one who smiled at me.

“Because you called me family because you called me sister.”

Although she coveted my jewelry and necklaces excessively, she ended up touching my mother’s belongings that she had told her she couldn’t give her.

One day, even my father collapsed from acute alcoholism. As soon as he was diagnosed as a vegetative state, the top spot went to young Edward.

Edward, who became a Count right after graduating from the Royal Academy of Arts, tried to save his family.

Just like his father had done. However, Edward’s songs were buried with harsh criticism that they were boring and dull. Just like his father had done.

The air in the house became even gloomier than before.

Creating melodies with my voice and piano was my only way to breathe...

Ariana! Shut up! My inspiration is being disrupted by the backward notes!”

Edward hated it so much that I couldn’t even do that.

Then one day, Lucas showed up and was my salvation, falling like a comet.

Ariana, the melodies you create are really beautiful.”

Thanks to Lucas’ encouragement, I played the piano in front of my family for the first time since my grandfather passed away.

Lucas began to give me his full support, saying that I had talent. Edward and Lucas, the two of them instantly hit it off and brought my music to the stage.

The critics gave me rave reviews on the first stage. The next stage was the same.

“This is the second coming of the music master Lopez!”

The faces of my family began to smile.

People began to praise Lopez’s name once again.

That alone made me overflowing with happiness.

Not knowing that the family I thought was the reason for my life was exploiting me.

No matter what happens, you have to think of your happiness as the top priority, Ariana. Do you understand? I only care if you are healthy and happy.”

“I’m sorry, Grandpa.”


The tears streaming down my lips tasted like blood.

Ariana was foolish and stupid.

But please, if there was just one more chance, just one more time...

Even though I begged and begged earnestly, my consciousness finally lost its light.

***

“...Miss, Miss Ariana!”

I gasped like a fish being pulled out of the water.

“Oh my gosh, Miss! Are you okay?”

I stared blankly at my vision which was gradually becoming clearer.

Was the kaleidoscope still not over?

How long was I going to have to endure this punishment of reliving my foolish past?

“Miss, Miss!”

I instinctively turned my head at the hand shaking my shoulder.

Then my heart almost stopped.

“...Sophie?”

“Whew, you’re coming to your senses!”

Sophie smiled brightly as if relieved. I was lost in thought at her lively smile.

However, Sophie...

‘She’s dead.’

Three years ago, Sophie died in a fire that suddenly swept through the mansion.

The memory of the day I commemorated her third anniversary just a few days ago. And now, Sophie, who was looking at me with concern, overlapped.

“How could you...”

Where the dead Sophie was.

So was this the afterlife?

“I was so surprised when you suddenly collapsed. Are you okay? I’m the one who does this kind of thing, you know.”

Sophie helped me up and wiped the spilled tea on the floor.

I looked at the mess of brown tea and asked blankly,

“What is this... what is it?”

“Oh, really. The Marquis of Pedegreen is attending tea time, and he said he wanted to prepare the tea himself.”

The Marquis of Pedegreen.

My body temperature dropped slightly at the name of Lucas.

“...Where is Lucas now?”

“Lucas? Oh, you mean the Marquis? Well, I’m not sure... He said he wanted to take a walk in the garden until the tea was ready, so I think he’s outside?”

I stepped out into the garden as if I was entranced by Sophie’s words.

The scenery that passed through my vision was strange. I saw decorations that had been popular a few years ago here and there.

I suppressed the sense of unfamiliarity and moved forward.

The face of my husband, whom I had last seen, flashed before my eyes.

“You shouldn’t have been so pretentious.”

The face that had been brazenly talking without any sense of guilt while holding my sister.

“...Lucas.”

I stopped walking.

It didn’t matter if this was a revolving lantern or a fantasy. I had to at least put his cheek up.

I couldn’t just be dragged to the underworld without even getting any revenge.

It was the moment when I was wandering aimlessly through the garden.

“Marquis, really! Stop it.”

A voice full of coquetry scratched my eardrums.

‘...Elena.’

There was no way I wouldn’t understand.

I had stayed up hundreds of nights to create a song that would make that child’s voice bloom the most beautifully. I felt my blood run cold as I walked toward the sound.

In a corner of the garden, beyond the dark rose bushes, the shadows of two people were intertwined.

“I’m not in this mood today! My sister said the date of her wedding with the Marquis had been set? I’m so upset right now.”

“Don’t think about it that way. It’s even better. We can live under the same roof, right?”

“Oh my. So you’re saying this will continue even after we get married?”

“Isn’t that obvious? How can I cut off our fairy? You can’t live without me either.”

“Heh, you shameless bastard. You don’t know anything!”

Elena hit Lucas’ chest and my ex-husband embraced her.

“...Huh.”

A headache arose from the intense sense of deja vu.

I backed away slowly.

‘It was like this.’

I didn’t believe Elena when she said it was just a one-night mistake.

But I didn’t think it was a relationship that had continued since before marriage.

How long has this been a long-standing deception?

The determination to at least raise my cheek was consumed by the exhaustion that flared up like wildfire.

As I backed away blankly, at one moment I collapsed on the grass.

I couldn’t help but laugh. It all felt like a ridiculously disgusting farce.

“Ariana. What are you doing here?”

At that moment, a voice was heard.

When I raised my head, I saw my brother approaching.

In an instant, the face that had been holding my bleeding finger and forcing me to press the thumbprint overlapped over that clean face. Those lips that had been smiling while distorting like a demon.

“...Ugh.”

I covered my mouth and retched, and Edward furrowed his brow.

“What the hell, you filthy bastard. Did you eat something wrong?... Anyway. After tea time, come over to my room. You didn’t forget that I have a ‘lesson’ today, did you?”

Lesson.

Ever since Lucas started taking an interest in my music, Edward often called me to give him composition lessons.

In reality, he was just stealing the music I composed while fixing it.

Looking up at his shameless face, I quietly asked,

“Brother. What year, month, and day is it today?”

“What are you talking about... Stop talking so arrogantly. What are you going to do if the Marquis gets sick of you? Do you think there’s another marriage partner as great as Marquis Pedegreen?”

“I asked what year, month, and day it was.”

When I asked again in a low voice, Edward flinched slightly.

He looked at me with a strange look and frowned.

“...It’s November 27th, 325. The upcoming opera for the feast of St. Verdict opens in a month.”

325. Exactly five years ago from the date I remember.

I slowly lowered my head and closed my eyes.

Did I really return to the past? Or am I just wandering through a crazy fantasy right before I die?

Ah... Yes. Maybe it doesn’t matter what it is.

“Ariana?”

When I raised my head, Edward looked at me with unexpectedly bewildered eyes.

I looked into his blue eyes which looked just like mine and smiled.

“It’s about today’s ‘lesson.’ I just happened to think of a good piece of music.”

“What?”

Edward’s eyes widened at the sudden mention.

I smiled brightly and said,

“Would you like to listen now?”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments