TFDBF - Chapter 52




I slowly approached Eric, who was smiling with a smooth face.

"This is a women's salon."

"Is that so?"

Eric asked lightly and tapped my side. When he told me to sit down, I stood far away from him and folded my arms.

"It's being handled too much."

Eric laughed.

I could see Hugh standing behind him, Frozen with nervousness.

"It's okay. I'm waiting here."

I left him standing in front of the door leading to the inner hallway and quietly placed my butt on the seat next to Eric.

Although it appeared sooner than expected and in an unexpected place, I wasn't surprised. Because I thought he would come sooner or later.

Finally, he opened his mouth.

"The result was a little different from what I originally planned."

"..."

"Wasn't it okay to deal with Alfred and put someone of mine in his place?"

"Why should someone be so capable? He was properly trained under the Viscount. If you can use that person, there's no need to get rid of him."

It was obvious what would happen next if Eric's people took control of Viscount.

I guess he'll have a great watcher by my side to report on my every move.

"If he were a useless person, I wouldn't have left him behind."

Alfred was a much better person than I expected.

However, because he was too obsessed with the Viscount family had been loyal to, he thought that other things were just fine, so he went in the wrong direction.

"You speak well. Even if he was really useful and kept him, he should have said his goodbyes a long time ago. You took advantage of the fact that I couldn't contact him while he was in the mansion to tame him."

Well, it's not really a lie.

Eric burst into laughter at my reaction, which was neither negative nor positive.

"It's not something that I don't understand to some extent because it's about trying to take care of one's own safety."

Eric shook his head and spoke lightly, his voice becoming lower.

"But if you keep messing with the plan you had made so long ago, it will be useless. In particular, we should avoid saving the lives of those who need to be silenced."

As I remained silent with my eyes downcast, Eric continued speaking.

"If the story gets out, the tower we put so much effort into will collapse."

"But killing people every time is not the answer." 

"Because the heaviest mouth is the one that does not move."

After answering that, Eric reached out and smoothed my hair. The drowsy voice touched a nerve.

"You should remember that I care about you a lot." 

"That's bullshit."

"You dare try to steal someone in front of me, but you don't even raise your voice."

"..."

"If the good faith between our contracts is broken, you should know that the end will not be so pretty."

That was some kind of warning. The gray eyes facing me were colored with a ferocious look.

I stared at the face without a trace of laughter and opened my mouth.

"You."

Then he added, grinning and gently pulling my hair out of his hand. 

"You dare me?"

At the low words, a strange, unknown light passed through Eric's gray eyes.

I smiled leisurely at him.

"No way."

The reason is unknown, but it is clear that his attempt to devour the Brium family is not simply due to greed.

Just as I want the destruction of Count Brium, he also has a reason to have the Count Brium family.

And for that goal, didn't you sign a contract with me while making 'concessions' that didn't necessarily suit you?

Eric's eyes sank.

'It might be unpleasant, but what can I do? 
I find it equally unpleasant.'

I knew from the beginning that it would be difficult to steal Annie away or change the latter part of the plan without Eric noticing.

If it were his ability, he could infer everything from the people he brought by my side.

In that case, I just thought that I could at least control the 'moment' when I would be caught.

'If you try to cheat, well. Can you fool me?

To do that, I might have to sell all my cards.

There was no reason to put in that much effort at this point.

As long as he and I maintain an alliance toward the same goal, Eric and I are in an equal contract with each other.

"Have you already forgotten your goal?"

"I didn't forget."

On the contrary, this damned body that returns to its original form every now and then makes me feel anxious and makes me think about who I am and what I am here for.

Eric spoke in a languid voice as if teaching me.

"It is difficult to suffer from having blood on your hands. Because that's what revenge is all about. If you don't become the same monster as them to achieve your goals, you will collapse first." 

"To catch a monster you need to become a sword that can kill a monster rather than becoming an even bigger monster. If I become a monster, someday I too will become a hunting target."

I didn't intend to do that.

Besides, if I turn into a monster, won't I be able to return to Oliver's side?

Eric sighed deeply.

"You don't lose a word."

I stood up with a voice full of complaints.

Holding the scarf I had chosen in advance I turned to Hugh and glanced at Eric to give him some advice.

"Lady Rosalyn likes green. In particular, it is pale green, reminiscent of a sprout. Please refer to it."

When I think about it, he also didn't tell me that he had approached Rosalyn, so the red and blue sky was also oily.

"He is dangerous. Even if you couldn't help but hold his hand, don't give him affection." 

The moment I left the salon, the sound of fresh air leaking from my lips came from Hugh's low-pitched advice.

What is me? They think I can become a saint. So that I still have some affection left to share.

The other person was even a human being who could bite my neck off whenever he no longer needed me.

"You don't have to worry about buying it like that."

Because I know better than anyone else that that person is dangerous.

***

When I returned from my outing, the annex was busy.

Even in the morning, the parked carriage was nowhere to be seen.

"Did Daniel really leave?"

"I already wanted to say a quick hello to you, but you came back later than expected."

That's surprising.

Since I was notified in the morning, I thought he would hold out until evening.

When people come, they suddenly rush into the point of embarrassment and sit down in the annex, but when they leave, they suddenly leave.

'He is an unpredictable person.'

"Are you planning to clean the annex as well?"

I understand that you need to organize your things while you are away for a long time, but what about the annex?

The Viscountess smiled at the curious question.

"I have been living in seclusion for a long time since my husband died. Not only did I not respond to invitations from numerous famous people, but I also did not respond to His Majesty's call."

"..."

"Then, if you suddenly barge in with my needs, I won't accept it gladly."

'After all, there is the high and noble pride of 'noble nobles'.

Even though the Viscountess has been refusing invitations up to now, it has been tolerated because she has refused all invitations in one fell swoop.

"So we need a good reason to leave here and head to the Imperial capital."

I asked carefully while listening to her gently explain.

"For what reason?"

The Viscountess stared at the mansion without answering my question.

While I was also looking at the dozens of servants who were working and staying at the same time carrying luggage outside, I suddenly had a passing thought and looked at the Viscountess.

As always, she stands upright with her gentle face and her hands folded gracefully.

The Viscountess, whose eyes were still fixed on the mansion, spoke slowly. 

"It should not be something that harms the dignity of the nobility, but at the same time, it should be something that would be natural for everyone to lend a hand. For example, things like natural disasters."

It's a natural disaster.

"It just so happens that the days have been really dry these past few days."

I raised my head and looked at the clear sky as if not a drop of rain would fall.

Only then did I feel the faint scent of oil, carried by the wind from afar, tickling the tip of my nose. 

'When I was young, I never dreamed of playing with fire, even as a joke.'

How envious I was of the people enjoying the festival far away, sitting around the bonfire, dancing, and having fun.

Suddenly I became curious.

How would it feel to see this large mansion burning brightly?

"I will never come back here again."

From the Viscountess's low muttering, I realized that it was her 'decision'. Even if I get scared and take a step back, I don't intend to leave behind a safe haven to which I can return.

***

The fire that engulfed the huge mansion paradoxically created a very beautiful spectacle.

Even though it burned all night, the result was very miserable.

The magician from the security forces who arrived late and turned off the fire was unable to even hastily offer words of comfort.

"It's okay. It is fortunate that not many people were injured."

In the meantime, admiring glances followed the woman who graciously offered support without losing her dignity and expressed her gratitude.


Previous            Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments