IHMEB - Chapter 137 < If I Risk My Life >




“Kaian set fire to that village, right?”

“... Yes?"

“Have you been to that village too? It’s nothing special, but the northern-style meat pie I ate on the way was quite tasty.”

Until now, she had only had superficial conversations and formal remarks with Claudel, but Bianque, who had been acting as if she did not want to talk to her, suddenly looked interested.

“Now that I think about it, that village is located in the corner of Valmonde’s estate.”

“Now, wait a minute.”

Claudel gently asked Bianque.

“... He started a fire... You said?”

Bianque frowned when she saw Claudel asking back without being able to control her expression.

"What? You didn’t ask because you knew?”

Her face, which had been showing a slightly sociable color for a long time, suddenly became cold.

“Are you even thinking about me right now?”

As the stern woman rose from her seat, Claudel grabbed the hem of her dress with her hands.

"Princess. Please speak properly. It’s important to me.”

With Bianque pressed to the middle of her lips, she puffed out her cheeks with a 'hoo'.

“It’s because of Kaian that the village became like that."

"Hey,  Duchess. Why are you asking me that? You can ask Kaian, right?”

The moment the name 'Kaian' was mentioned in her mouth, Bianque got angry and heated up, as if something about her made her even more angry.

“What Her Majesty the Queen has told him never to reveal.” 

“Do you know how difficult my position will be if Valquiterre and Kaian find out?”

"Please."

"Get out of my way.”

Bianque hurried to the bedroom door, opened it, and looked through the peephole. When she saw the maids brought from the royal castle and the maids from Rowen Castle standing bored a few steps away, she quietly closed the door and looked back at Claudel.

“Don’t try to find out about this.”

"No. I really need to know.”

"Is it so?"

Bianque lifted her eyebrows with strength.

“Would you give up your life?”

Claudel's eyes widened.

“Some truths require a price. How is it? I will tell you if you risk your life.”

Bianque looks exactly like Valquiterre. But could her sweet and comforting blue eyes be this cruel?

“Take your pick. Which one? Either die knowing or live without knowing.”

When Bianque asked her if Claud was willing to risk her life, her eyes were innocent like a curious child cutting off the waist of a crawling ant with her fingernails.

"Ah."

When Claudel stepped behind her, a small noise streaming down her face in disgust, Bianque laughed at her as if she knew she would.

“If you said you would do that, you must have been brave enough, so I tried to praise you.”

Bianque spoke forcefully.

“If what I said today gets out, I won’t leave you alone. Please take care of controlling people’s mouths.”

She opened the door and walked out as if her business was over.

"Oh, Princess."

“Where is His Majesty the King? I need to see him now.”

“I will take you this way.”

As Bianque disappeared, dragging her maids behind her, Madame Marcel, who had her assistants carrying loads of lace and fabrics, walked diligently and looked at her as she walked away with a vain look on her face.

Hannah, who had been away to help Madame Marcel, jumped when she saw Claudel.

“Why are you standing? You’re sweating so much.”

Hannah took her handkerchief from her pocket under her apron and wiped the sweat from Claudel's forehead.

“I can’t believe you’re sweating this much.”

“The Princess has suddenly arrived, so it’s no wonder she’s tired.”

Madame Marcel was next to her.

“You should also see the prom dress. I think it’s too much for today.”

"I know. It seems difficult. What should I do?”

When Claudel gave her helpless reply, Madame Marcel clenched her fist.

“I will try my best. You need to rest.”

“Thank you.”

Madame Marcel's assistants took the mess out of the bedroom. Now that Hannah and her are alone, Claudel finally gets the time to rest that she had longed for.

However, smoke of suspicion was rising in Claudel's heart due to the embers thrown by Bianque.

'...Risk my life?'

Until now, I did not know what caused the village of Plogne to become like that.

'Kaian said he made a mistake.'

In the meantime, I was able to guess what he meant by just looking at my husband's eyes. Even when Kaian was working with a cold expression, there were many times when his eyes were anything other than that.

Even if he was dissatisfied or spoke coldly, if I secretly held out my hand or crossed his arms, the man who would hold me or put his opposite hand on the back of my folded hand to cover it, was the opposite on the outside and the inside.

'When I saw my dad's nameplate, I never thought I'd hear something like this.'

Nothing could be saved from the village that was on fire. If someone was alive, they might have taken refuge along the only narrow mountain path.

The village I saw over my father's shoulder as he ran along the lonely forest road with me and Hannah, running without anyone, was like a demonic beast that had escaped from hell, screaming with its whole body.

I was just very embarrassed that an item that should have disappeared was placed on Kaian desk at that time.

Without knowing it, I said it as if I was asking a question, but Kaian answered like someone who knew something.

"Hannah."

"Yes, Lady."

Hannah, who was getting out my clothes to change into and making up a place to lie down, raised her head.

'Can I tell Hannah this?'

When I thought of Bianque, who mockingly asked me to risk my life, I thought that she couldn't tell Hannah, but my mind was in a difficult place these days.

'Claudel, you were really impatient.'

I felt like I couldn't bear it any longer if I couldn't immediately let go of my trembling heart. If I can't even tell Hannah, who should I tell this to?

“I think something happened in the village.”

"Yes?"

“I’ve talked about that before. Kaian, what the Queen told him to keep quiet about was so strange.”

I actually went against Bianque's warning to keep my mouth shut, and the words that came out of my mouth came out stuttering as if I couldn't even choose the right words to say.

"Lady. That's because having a child makes you sensitive...”

“Kaian said that.”

“...My lord? Because of what the lord did.”

I had goosebumps all over my body as I spoke.

“They said it was Kayan who started the fire in our village.”

“Who is it!”

Hannah, who was surprised, spoke as if she was threatening, but lowered her voice without realizing it. I muttered softly, feeling as if I was about to shed tears at any moment.

“Princess Bianque.”

“No, what did Princess Bianque say? Instead of doing that, try talking again slowly.”

Hannah dragged me and sat me on the bed.

“I am his wife. Kaian’s eyes and tone of voice were definitely strange.”

“...”

“It seemed like he was hiding something from me. I was flustered. Change my words.”

I caught my breath. Even though I spoke slowly, I felt like I couldn't breathe.

“It’s true that I’m nervous. I was in a bad mood the entire time I had morning sickness.”

I hoped that at least one person would understand my feelings. I was a little more desperate because Hannah said, 'Be sensitive,' and I passed on my words.

“But not this. It’s hard to put into words.”

“My Lord, there is no way he did that.”

“...What?"

“Probably not. My Lord, he is not that type of person.”

Hannah shook her head.

“He saved Madam’s life. He acknowledged the bride he married from Vermont as his wife.”

“So you’re saying that Princess Bianque lied?”

My emotions became more and more intense.

“She told me to risk my life. I heard there are such secrets in the world.”

“In the end, you didn’t hear it.”

"Hannah. Why are you so calm?”

“Better ask the Lord. That would be better.”

“Princess Bianque told me not to keep this secret out of my mouth.”

“But now that I know, it’s no longer a secret. Where is the secret that so many people know?”

Hannah wrapped her arms around me and stroked my back as if to comfort me.

“Try to calm down a little.”

"Hannah. Are you... Are you doing this because of Rohan?”

"Yes?"

The more she spoke, the more confused I became. She wasn't doing this for no reason. But when I thought that Hannah didn't believe me, I felt sick to my stomach.

“Because Rohan is Kaian’s person.”

“What do you mean?”

Hannah shook her head vigorously.

“But why are you doing this? You should be on my side. You should listen to me.”

“I prayed to the lord even when you were unconscious. Please save your wife.”

"I know."

“I said that if you save my wife, even my soul will become a servant of Temnes.”

Hannah's voice quieted down.

“But if you don’t trust me, why should I stay in Temnes?”

She hugged me tightly.

“Ask my Lord. Princess Bianque may wish to widen the relationship between you and my Lord.”

That was true. That's why I was so upset when I saw Bianque upset that she was hanging on to Kaian during the Holder Lay round.

“I will. Sorry, Hannah."

My friend's sigh passed over my shoulder.

“I did it because I was so frustrated and had no place to talk.”

But my heart became even heavier at my lightly offered apology. It couldn't have been good for me to feel that I was increasingly unable to communicate with my best friend.

“I’m not feeling well today, so I’ll just change my clothes and go to bed.”

“That’s right. I will change your clothes.”

As I obediently responded to Hannah's help, my mind gradually became more organized.

'I have no choice but to listen to Kaian.'

It didn't matter whether Bianque was scolded or embarrassed. If it was my fault for leaking something I shouldn't have said, the Princess would have to take that responsibility as well.

I waited with open eyes for Kaian to return, but it was well after midnight when he entered the bedroom.

“I heard you were taking a break early?”

“I waited.”

At those words, Kaian's expression softened as he looked forward to something.

"Hmm. If I had known you would be waiting, I would have rushed.”

“Kaian. Did you set fire to the village of Plogne?”



Previous            Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments