TCIWTFY - Chapter 38



She went through all kinds of hardships while traveling around the continent during her expedition.

There were times when they had to procure food for the group from the empty plains.

"Her Royal Highness, this is not for eating. It is a poisonous plant called Refined."

"Why? It smells good."

"I'm slowly going crazy. It has no taste and causes mania without a sound, so it is also called the silent killer. Just smelling it is fatal, so don't get close to it."

"It's okay if I don't want to drink it."

Medea looked bored as if she was not impressed.

"Your Highness."

At that time, Neril, who opened the door and came in, bent down.

"Come on."

"Wow."

A small figure peeked out from behind her. Curious black eyes sparkle.

"Oh! Mom!"

The child's sonorous voice rang out in the quiet palace.

The round head that was looking around found the seal she was looking for and moved quickly like a squirrel.

The child ran straight to the maid who was kneeling and hugging her neck.

"J-Jeremy... Why are you here?"

Sissair's maid still seemed dumbfounded. She couldn't come to her senses.

"Mom called me and said she would show me around the palace. Pee, you said absolutely no..."

The child pouted his lips, but then his eyes sparkled.

"Don't worry, Mom. The pretty sister here said she would keep your secret. Even Grandma doesn't know Jeremy's here! Shhh, let's make a promise!"

The child made eye contact with Neril as if to ask if that was not the case. Neril nodded her head.

"It's so shiny here! There are so many delicious things. It smells good too! But where is the Princess? Does she really live here? Can I see her too? Did you really have horns like this in your head? Did you see Mom?"

As soon as he met his mother, the questions he had been holding back came pouring out.

The maid was taken back but then stiffened as if she realized something. Then she turned her head towards Medea with fearful eyes.

Medea got up and approached the child.

"Yeah. I really live here."

The child in the maid's arms opened her eyes wide when she saw Medea.

"Wow, are you a Princess?"

"Yes."

"Uh, what about the horns?"

Medea lowered her head to the child's eye level.

"How do you see it?"

"I can't see it. I can't see anything. It just sparkles like the moon."

As if possessed, he stretched out his chubby hand and grabbed a handful of Medea's falling hair.

When Neril reflexively tried to step forward, Medea raised her hand to stop her.

"It's okay." 

Medea waited until all the hair fell out between her twisted fingers.

"Did you say, Jeremy?"

"Yes!"

"Aren't you thirsty? Want some tea?"

It was then that the bewildered maid's eyes widened in astonishment.

"Yes! I'm thirsty."

Tea is offered to a child. It was the same tea that the maid had brewed and refused to drink just moments ago.

"Can I drink it?"

"Then..."

Medea answered kindly.

"There are plenty more."

This was when the child, who had accepted the teacup with eyes filled with anticipation, brought his mouth close to the cup.

"No!"

The maid hits the teacup roughly. 

Clink. 

The glass flew against the wall and broke violently.

"Please, please forgive me."

The maid knelt down, holding the child and hiding it in her arms.

The maid bowed her head.

"I was wrong. I will tell you everything."

"Uh, momaaaaa!"

A sudden loud noise. A tremor felt in the arms.

The child eventually burst into tears due to the mother's unusual mood.

The maid became even more frightened and tried to stop the child from crying by pulling him into her arms.

“Jeremy.”

Medea softly called the child's name. But the maid knew that it was not toward the child, but toward her.

"Well, Your Highness..."

The Princess's eyes as she looked at her were bitterly cold. A chill ran down the maid's back.

'What have I done...?'

She couldn't hide it or pretend any longer.

Without realizing it, the arms holding the child relaxed.

"Aaahl Mom, this is weird!"

The child burst into tears, unaware of his mother's fear. And he ran and hugged Medea, who had called her name a little while ago.

"Jeremy! No...!"

The maid felt like her heart was dropping. Her hands and feet were shaking, unable to take her child away from the Princess.

"Don't cry."

Medea gently wiped away the child's tears. It was time for the child to stop crying as the warmth brushed his cheek.

She held his fern-like small hand in her own.

"...It's so small. It's also weak..."

"Your Highness, please..."

A pleading moan erupted from the maid. Soon, she was barely swallowed again by Medea's cool eyes.

"I have something to talk to your mom, so will you wait until I'm finished?"

"Hmm. So, can I eat that while I wait?"

The child looked at the cookies on the refreshment plate with tearful eyes. Medea smiled and handed the entire plate of refreshments to the child. 

Wow, the child's mouth opened in an exclamation.

"Is it okay if I take a look?"

"Wherever..."

Medea explored at another maid and took the child away.

"Mom, see you later~"

Waving his chubby hand, the child disappeared cheerfully as if he had never cried before.

He was so focused on the cookies that he didn't notice that his mother's face was filled with despair.

The maid walked at a kneeling pace and clung to the hem of Medea's dress.

"Your Highness, I will tell you everything. This is Duke Claudio. He handed His Excellency some tea with Halus to drink. Well, he threatened to kill me if I refused. I wanted to live, I was scared, I was afraid. .."

"Since when?"

"He first contacted me three years ago. But I kept rejecting him..."

3 years. Medea laughed out loud.

They were already moving long before Medea realized it.

"I have that child and my sick old mother. My father also passed away early, so I am the only one who can take care of my mother. Without me... I'm so scared of the threats, I'm afraid ... huhuhu huhuhu..."

"Yes, how long has it been since Sissair drank that tea?"

"Well, it's been four months since I first served tea to him... Four months."

It's been less than half a year, so it's still too early to become addicted.

If he stopped taking the medication and preserved his body, he would be able to get better without any problems. Is it fortunate?

"All I know is this. I will resign as soon as I return and take whatever punishment you give me. So please, Your Highness, have mercy on my child..."

A heart-wrenching cry followed. The maid's face was soaked with tears.

"I do not decide your disposition. Go to Sissair and tell him yourself."

The maid raised her head. She saw a glimmer of hope in her tearful eyes.

Do you think you can hide it from the major, or do you think there is room for you to make your own living in the meantime?

"Your child will be with me until then. Unlike my uncle, I will not threaten you with your life. You already know because you've seen it."

Medea raised the corners of her mouth.

"Because it won't be you who dies."

It was a heartlessness that did not suit a young face.

"Please save him. The child knows nothing..."

"Oh, that will depend on you."

She patted the maid's shoulder.

"I will make your son a servant in my palace. He will receive education from courtiers and grow up to be close to nobles."

She will keep it by her side and cherish it forever.

If the maid betrays her at any time, it can become a leash that can strangle her.

The maid in front of her also understood the meaning.

"Ha. I will. May my body, my thoughts, and everything about me do as you wish."

The maid let out a deep groan and bowed her head as if collapsing.

***

In the dark of night, Medea's bedroom door finally opened.

"Mom-!"

The maid held the hand of the lively running child and trudged out.

Marieu closed her mouth with fearful eyes and was trembling silently.

Neril motioned for her to leave and closed the door.

"..."

Medea was sitting and looking out the window at the darkness.

Neril walked as usual and stood behind her.

"You showed your ugly side."

She held onto the lifeline of the newborn child and threatened the mother. She must have been annoyance to the proudly chivalrous Neril.

Medea even had Neril bring that child to her.

Medea didn't deny it. There was no other excuse for her lame behavior.

"If it's hard to see, you can leave. Because I won't stop."

In order to punish the prisoners, he also had to become a prisoner. When her revenge is over, her hands will be stained with blood and dirt.

It's okay though. She hopes so.

"Your Highness."

Neril got down on one knee.

"I made an oath. I will support anything."

"Thank you."

The last words were quiet, almost a whisper.

Late at night, a bird that did not know the time cried sadly.


Previous            Next




        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments