IHMEB - Chapter 98 < Unfair Thing >






“Think of a way to do the wedding again.”

“You mean the wedding?”

"Yes."

Now Kaian no longer has to show respect in front of his butler.

Baron Colon, a powerful figure in the territory, had the wisdom of a man worthy of his age.

“We are also preparing a new bridal gown for Claudel to wear.”

He said out loud what he wanted.

Then, a loyal and capable butler will do whatever it takes to do it.

'It's really unfair.'

Unfortunately, the woman he gave his heart to was the daughter of his enemy's family, so he couldn't express it to his heart's content.

He threw thr wedding away like that!

Of course, he hurried back, saying he didn't need Vermont's blessing.

He hasn't even seen Claudel in her bridal gown!

Where did the clothes that he should have taken off with his own hands on the first night go? 

Next time he had the chance, he thought he would ask Claudel what had happened to the bridal gown she had worn when she came to Rowen Castle.

Anyway, Kaian was so unfair that he couldn't stand it anymore.

“Hmm. Then the Temnes family tradition is to have two weddings.”

“Family tradition of the Temnes family?”

"Yes. Isn’t it a tradition in Temnes to hold a wedding ceremony at the estate after bringing a bride?”

“But why didn’t I do it?”

When Kaian asked foolishly, the butler made a stern face, as if he could not tolerate that.

“You ordered me not to prepare for the wedding because you cannot accept a bride from Vermont.”

“... I?"

"Yes."

“I said that?”

“Didn’t you insist on not having a three-day celebration?”

It was truly deplorable.

Claudel, standing at a wedding in the North, was wearing a bunch of large jewels, but he couldn't remember her expression or anything like that. All she remembered was that she looked like a prisoner in her restraints.

For her petite and slender body, jewelry with a refined design a lot of work, and an extravagant feel suited her better than the thick, grainy jewelry. This was something he found out after robbing the jewelry store several times for her.

She was flashy and extravagant, but he thought it was ridiculous that she was wearing something that didn't suit her.

In fact, Claudel was so pretty that there would be nothing that didn't suit her.

It was Kaian's own fault for forming a prejudice at first glance.

He should have seen it.

What's wrong with not being able to have a proper conversation with her on the wedding day, which only happens once in their life?

He was very obsessive. Once his thoughts fell on the wedding, he became very attached to it.

“Family tradition of the Temnes family? Save that.”

“That’s a bit...”

As Kaian unconsciously frowned, the butler quickly explained.

“Isn’t it a local custom in Rowen to once at the bride’s house and once at the groom’s house? The wedding is held on the same day the bride arrives at the groom’s house, so it has already passed.”

"No. Find a way.”

Looking at Kaian, the butler remembered something from before.

When Claudel was dying from Herzol, the matriarch looked just like that when he told him to come find a way to save her.

'Why did you treat the person you like so much like that?'

The butler expressed his opinion several times to Kaian about the wedding, but he was ignored.

Both then and now, Baron Colon's position was that since he was welcoming the Duchess of Temnes, the event should have been held with proper formality and without regret.

As the butler of the family, he could never ignore comments like, “It’s disappointing,” “it’s poor,” it’s not enough.

Kaian told him to prepare a gift for the first night of night, but while he was preparing it in a hurry, Antjone got into an accident and there was a big disaster. The butler knew very well that even though the ring had been completely resized, it still had not found its owner.

“I think there was a time about one hundred and twenty years ago when a bride arrived and the wedding wasn’t held that day.”

“Did something like that happen?”

"Yes."

The reason is that a huge typhoon blew throughout the Rowen territory.

It was not a good situation to invite guests and have an outdoor ceremony. The bride arrived early in the morning, but the butler managed to find and knew of a record that the ceremony scheduled for the day was canceled and the wedding was held a month after the typhoon damage was completed.

"Yes. That should be enough.”

Kaian said with a grin on his face.

“Call Madame Marcel.”

***

I suddenly looked out the window.

The weather in Rowen was unimaginably mild for December, and flowers were still in full bloom in the green landscape.

“It won’t snow here.”

Hannah laughed at my words.

“I’m so happy because it doesn’t snow.”

“They say if you like watching snow fall, you’re either a child or a dog.”

Even Madame Marcel made a joke, and the three of them laughed amiably.

Today I was learning as Madame Marcel taught me how to knit a lace with my own hands.

The lace weaving as Madame Marcel played with her hands, with various designs, was so fun to watch that me and Hanna put down what we were making and watched her do it.

Knock knock.

There was a knock on the door outside, and a servant came looking for Madame Marcel.

“Madame Marcel. The Lord is looking for you.”

“The Duke? Suddenly?"

"Yes. Please follow me now.”

Madame Marcel stood up and looked at me in confusion.

“It’s just entertainment, so don’t worry about it and just go.”

“I’ll come back quickly, Duchess.”

What's going on? Madame Marcel tilted her head and followed the servant out, leaving Hannah and me in my room.

“What is happening?”

"Well. Let’s ask when she gets back.”

We tried to make the lace we had learned from Madame Marcel, but when something oddly distorted came out, we laughed out loud and eventually put down the tools again.

“I want to eat an apple.”

Hannah was delighted by my sudden words.

“An apple?”

"Yes. It’s so unexpected, isn’t it?”

I was slowly recovering, but my illness was not subsiding quickly.

Could it be that a broken heart could hurt the body like this?

I was quite healthy before I contracted herzole.

My skinny and slender body is just something I was born with, but as I grew up climbing up and down mountains and swimming in flowing rivers, I was not physically weak.

But after what happened with Kaian, sometimes my stomach really hurt and it was hard.

Anyway, considering the times when Rowen's food was so delicious that I was embarrassed to obsess over eating, I thought it would be better not to be able to eat like now, but Hannah and Madame Marcel were restless as they watched me skip my meals and dry out.

It's really not because of them.

Even though confessing to Kaian was something I wanted, they seemed to feel like something went wrong because of them.

“It’s unexpected. If you want to eat it, let me know quickly.”

“Aren’t there any apples?”

“What is missing, Lady. This is Rowen, not Valmonde.”

“You made alcohol entirely from apples picked in the fall.”

I took a bite of the apple I brought in the basket at the estate festival.

The taste of freshly picked, unripened apples has never been so refreshing and good.

As I thought about it, my mouth began to water, as if my appetite had increased again.

"No way. Is that apple all you need? Apple pie was served for dessert a few days ago.”

“So, I guess that’s it?”

“There must be something else to eat. I’ll go to the kitchen and ask.”

Hanna quickly disappeared, but after a while, she returned with the orchard manager.

"Lady! I heard the orchard manager came into the castle today?”

"Yes?"

"Hello, Lady. It has been a while since we last met."

“You..”

I recognized the orchard manager with a hat pulled over his gray hair.

It was this man who brought me an apple, saying it was his first gift when I was down in the village rehearsing for the festival.

“It’s called Burbrook Kanden. At Rowen, you can eat apples all year round.”

He put down a small basket of apples in front of me.

“If you send someone at any time, we will prepare it for you, whether it is aged or freshly picked from the tree.”

“Thank you.”

I picked up an apple.

As soon as I saw it, I felt an appetite for food for the first time in a long time.

I quickly bit into thr apple as Hannah wiped it off and handed it to me.

Crunch.

As the sour taste spread in my mouth, my somewhat depressed mood seemed to disappear.

“Did you say Burbrook?”

"Yes, Lady."

He didn't back down until then, and I smiled at the orchardist who was watching me eat the apples.

“I will call you some time from now on.”

“Please do so.”

Even after the orchard manager left, I ate as many as three of the apples.

"Ugh. Why are you doing this all of a sudden? You can’t eat dinner like this.”

"I know."

I wiped my hands and looked blankly out the window.

Maybe it was because I had filled my stomach for the first time in a long time, but I suddenly felt generous.

'Kaian told me to have a child.'

He said that if there was an heir, I might be trusted.

And I said I would try.

My love wasn't over yet.

If I can't give up and it's not over, I should try if there's something I can do.

"Hannah. Can you please call a doctor?”

“Doctor?”

“Bring the resident doctor. Shouldn’t he have returned by today?”

There was a resident doctor inside Rowen Castle.

It just so happened that that doctor was in charge of my treatment. When I was bitten on the leg by a crocodile, he was the doctor who performed the surgery and treated me for herzol, but he had to leave the castle for several days because of work.

‘If I can’t have children because of herzol. Anyway, I should probably talk to someone who has treated Herzol.'

I had long since been cured of my illness, and few people knew about herzol. So, when I met with other doctors in the capital and even after returning to the territory, they never asked about my physical condition or the aftereffects.

"Lady. It’s been a while since I said hello.”

“How have you been?”

"Yes. But what’s going on?”

“I want to know about my physical condition.”

I asked calmly.

“Can I have children?”

Two series are out now! If you like mystery, horror, and historical genre, you can check it out!





Previous            Next
   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments