IHMEB - Chapter 90 < Temnes's >






'This necklace is Madame Elise's?'

The dress I wore today was newly made by Madame Marcel for this ball.

Previously, Kaian had collected thr jewels from Rowen's Marketplace and said, 'I will get you better ones when you go to the capital,' but there were a lot of them that I had never tried before.

Madame Marcel had picked out my jewelry to go with my dress from Rowen, and as I was finishing changing my clothes, Kaian brought me another necklace.

'I've been keeping it in the mansion. Will it suit you?'

At first glance, he gave me something that didn't look like an ordinary item, so I thought, 'I guess there's some jewelry left in the mansion as well.' I said. I thought he must have brought it because he remembered it because it matched the dress well, and it was a keepsake of Madame Elise.

It was usually a very good intention to pass on his mother's belongings to his wife.

Because passing on a generation means making a promise to the next generation.

Although it had never been worn on my hand yet, it was Madame Elise's ring that Kaian originally intended to give to me as a first-night gift.

Even though the Duke of Vermont and Kaian were staring at each other strangely, I was very excited about this.

'I can't believe Kaian gave me that.'

I didn't know because I wasn't particularly interested in jewelry or social circles, but the necklace I wore around my neck was a treasure that was included in the Royal Treasures Encyclopedia with a detailed picture.

“That necklace was a gift from the Duke of Vermont to the late King Robert.”

The Duke of Vermont said triumphantly.

“I heard that the King gave it to the Princess when she got married and left the royal family. In the end, it came full circle and returned to Vermont.”

Then Kaian coldly sneered.

“What was from Vermont became Temnes’. Necklace and Claudel.”

“What, what?”

Kaian taunted the Duke of Vermont by grabbing my waist with his hand and pulling me into his arms.

“The others could have been Temnes’s, but it’s a shame. I will have to be satisfied with having found a precious woman.”

“What now...”

It was when the Duke of Vermont's face turned red.

“Please, Your Majesty!”

With a huge horn sounding majestically, King Valquiterre appeared at the venue with Princess Bianque. When the Grand Duke Luxen entered with them, several of them recalled the deceased Queen, and their eyes filled with tears.

As the young King's eyes gazed closely at the red-haired Vermonters, a lamentable sigh passed even among the noisy nobles.

As expected, Princess Irena seems to be the next Queen.

They had never seen anyone look at people like that before.

Did I go to great lengths to come to the prom just to see something like this?

The fact that the King's eyes passed by her Princess. There were many women who drooped their shoulders and looked disappointed just because of that alone.

I gently caressed the back of Kaian's hand that was wrapped around my waist.

I was happy to know that he had passed on his mother's mementos to me, but it was also unsettling to see Kaian openly clashing with Vermont.

'I'm really glad that Rowen and Valmonde are far away.'

Since they were located from north to south, with the royal castle in between, and from end to end, unless there was something major like a food shortage or a territory war, there was no need to meet face to face.

'Will Irena really become queen?'

Madame Marcel diligently spread the rumors that were spreading in the capital.

After arriving at the royal castle, I was well received by Irena, and she sent a short letter to her servant saying that she wanted to see me quickly.

There was something else I was curious about, but I couldn't openly write about the royal family in a letter that was at risk of being lost, so I replied that I was doing well too, and that she wanted to meet me as soon as possible.

'What will happen to me if my older sister becomes Queen?'

Unlike before, if the Duke of Vermont advances to the capital because he is a maternal relative, will things like this become more frequent with Temnes?

It was embarrassing to even think about it.

However, since I was the adopted daughter of the Duke of Vermont, my position was unstable, so it was good for me to have a sister who had a good relationship with each other become Queen.

If Irena becomes Queen, I will no longer have to worry about Temnes being ignored. Moreover, Irena may be able to mediate my difficult relationship with Bianque.

I thought about this and that and laughed to myself.

‘I'm already thinking this. I am now a Duchess too.'

When I bring Vermont, I naturally start to think about politics. It made me feel both sad and funny to think that I was caught in the middle of it all.

'Because my behavior may be important. I should pay attention.'

Kaian, who had been calmly accepting my caress as if to soothe him, grabbed my hand and clasped it.

When the surroundings became quiet, Valquiterre sat on his throne and spoke solemnly.

“Thank you for gathering here today to celebrate my birth. I wish the Oberon royal family prosperity and everyone enjoy today together.”

"It is an honor, Your Majesty the King.”

Valquiterre, sitting in a high seat with a shining crown on his head, was unfamiliar.

'I think he made a mask and wore it.'

He looked a bit different from when I first met him in the Hanging Gardens, or when we walked together in Holderley Round.

He's still smiling, but I should say it's a very open and showy smile.

From the look in his eyes to the naturally lifted mouth, and even the pitch of his voice as he spoke clearly, cutting off each word, it seemed like it was tailored to suit the dignity of a King.

'There is a big difference in the way the King treats people when he is in private and when he is not.'

It's not Kaian.

The Duke of Temnes always showed little change in his expression or attitude, regardless of whether he was public or private.

'Still, this trip was fun.'

I talked to him a lot and observed and learned little things about each other.

I lived quietly at Castle de Valmonde and had almost no friends.

Although Irena occasionally called me to invitations or to tea parties she hosted, I would quietly drink my tea and listen to others' stories.

I had no knack for making friends with Hannah, who had been my best friend since I was very young because we knew each other so well that there was no point in interacting with them.

As I talked with Kaian more and more, I realized something.

Knowing something that wasn't told, or something trivial that can't even be talked about, is the beginning of getting to know each other well.

Thanks to this, I learned that when Kaian despises what I do, my double eyelid only becomes darker on my left eyebrow and that when I think he is having fun, the center of his eyebrow ridge becomes slightly curved.

Because whenever he teased me, the middle of his eyebrows shot up.

As his wife, I was glad that I got to know the man better than anyone else, who had made me wonder if he was angry just by looking at my face or in a bad mood just by hearing my voice.

I glanced at Irena.

Although she was a renowned beauty in northern social circles, she was no exception when presented to the social circles of her capital city. Not only that but even when I looked closely at the girls of the capital, I could not see anyone more beautiful and elegant than Irena.

'I think my sister should meet a good person too.'

Irena's marriage and widowhood were taboos in the castle of Valmonde.

She did not leave her room for over a week after hearing the news of the death of her husband, who had gone to war. When I secretly put my ear to the door, I could not hear any crying, but I was even more afraid of that.

It seemed as if the events of my parents, buried deep in my heart, were rising, wafting black smoke.

Irena was living a life that was the complete opposite of what I thought she was, and I was worried that it would overshadow my sister, who was like the sunshine of my life.

But after a while, Irena again appeared in public smiling, and no one in the Duke of Vermont's circle spoke of it.

As I was leaning on my husband's arm and thinking about this, I suddenly realized that I had not been able to comfort Irena properly.

Irena, too, had an arranged marriage, but her husband traveled between her estate and Valmonde several times before the ceremony. Only they would know what the relationship between Irena and my brother-in-law was like.

When I got married, I realized that I had been too indifferent to Irena back then.

I secretly wished Irena happiness. After the ball ended today, Irena's life might take a completely different direction than before.

After Valquiterre's short opening speech, the band began playing a lively and joyful melody.

The King will ask the Princess of Vermont to her first dance, right?

Everyone's eyes were busy going back and forth between Valquiterre and Irena.

I didn't know that I would be able to see with my own eyes a scene from a great romance that will forever remain in the history of the kingdom.

Moreover, the fact that Vermont's daughter, who could not be seen at all because she had not made her debut in the capital's social scene, danced in the royal castle itself had a special meaning.

When everyone was watching the King without making a sound.

Valquiterre got up from his seat and came down to the venue to dance.

OMG. Unbelievable.

Why are you doing that?


The nobles murmured.

Valquiterre held the hand of Princess Bianque, who was sitting at the head table and headed to the center of the floor.

Meanwhile, Princess Bianque mouthed, ‘Oh, what is it? 'Why are you doing this?' the Princess, who was caught tightly by his gloved wrist, was dragged to the King at a disgruntled pace.

Why? Why?

While the unresolved questions were murmured, a dance song began, and Valquiterre began dancing with Bianque.

The sight of a brother and sister with the same light lemon-yellow blonde hair and blue eyes dancing together, as if they had been made from the same mold, was mesmerizingly cool.

‘Irena...'

I looked at her with concern, but Irena seemed unconcerned.

However, when the Duke of Vermont, who was standing behind her, burst out with anger and ran out with a red face, acting as if he was going to grab the King the collar, the Duchess of Vermont whispered something to her husband and tried to dissuade him.

Meanwhile, the short dance song ended quickly and everyone was asking for partners, making the place noisy.

I could barely put my mind at ease when I saw that several men, who had noticed the Duke of Vermont blushing red, were flocking to Irena to ask her to dance.

“Claudel.”

"Yes?"

Kaian did his courtesy and extended his hand to me 

“Would you like to dance together, Ma'am?"



Previous                Next
   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments