IHMEB - Chapter 107 < Prenatal Education >






“For some reason, the Lord said that I would take good care of his wife!”

“Duke? Did he say that?”

Antjone's expression became a little shocked, but the excited man didn't notice.

“I was in a hurry because Madam was looking for apples again today. I saw the Lord at the castle, and he asked me why I was here, and I said I was taking care of Madam.”

Of course, Kaian had asked for 'apple' and not 'Madam', but in the orchard manager's twisted mind, even what he heard was being rolled around as he wanted.

"Oh. Oh my goodness."

Antjone clapped her hands.

“Then, from now on, whenever you visit Madam, please try to talk to her in a more friendly manner.”

Burbrook had no dating experience.

On the day of the wedding celebration, he said to Kaian, 'I had a relationship with a Valmonde woman when I was young. How would a red-haired Northern woman marry in an enemy land?', but it was all a lie.

If he thought about it a little, he could see that it was very strange.

This is because the person with Vermont's signature red hair is, after all, a blood relative of a prestigious family, and following the family tradition of putting effort into diplomacy, she married and left for a very prestigious position somewhere.

It's just that Burbrook was obsessed with fantasizing about Valmonde and the red hair.

At the time, in the banquet hall, which was full of resentment that Vermont and his daughter, who had become shameless by starving, had been forced to grant the seat next to the great Lord, there was no one who could criticize Burbrook for the incoherence of his words.

The day Claudel first set foot in Rowen Castle. Even though it was the first day of her wedding celebration, which was permitted to her blood relatives, Burbrook, who stopped by the fruit warehouse in thr castle on business, saw her and fell in love with her at first sight.

'Right. She's really beautiful.'

Even the woman who everyone criticized for looking like a 'flower withered by the rain' looked pitiful in his eyes, like a small bird that fell in the rain with a damaged wing. She was soon destined to fall into the hands of her enemies and suffer.

'There's such a poor woman.'

During the vassal's celebration that he participated in, Kaian seemed uneasy the whole time.

So Kaian made up his mind and told him to send Claude to him when he got rid of her, and Burbrook was so happy when Kaian readily agreed. Burbrook bought expensive paper, drew his own calendar, and waited for the next June to arrive.

In any case, Antjone was the only person in the estate who supported his love, even though he had never met a woman before. Antjone heard Burbrook's story and was moved that it was truly a fateful love.

“There is a difference between being kind and being friendly. It looks like you’re giving me some leeway.”

“Friendly?”

"Yes. If only the Duke had done the same. It would be heartbreaking if she were suddenly kicked out of the castle and had to live with Mr. Berbrook.”

She filled the empty glass to the brim.

“Isn’t it true that a woman’s heart is like a reed that shakes when the wind blows?”

Antjone pushed the glass to him and Burbrook took it.

“The Lord is treating her poorly. She will be happy when she feels Burbrook’s kindness.”

“That’s it. Haha. I understand now.”

Burbrook, who had been taught love through delusion by the clever Antjone, was left to dream alone.

“I’m sure Madam will like it. There is no woman who doesn’t like a man who has feelings for her.”

Antjone smiled brightly, hiding her thorns and venom.

'The Duke said he would be kind to me?'

What?

Antjone had a bad feeling about something.

She only knew herself and was a selfish person. She said that if she had really become the Duchess of Temnes, she would not have had to worry about Kaian saying 'she should not be carrying anywhere'.

Not only was she born with a beautiful appearance, she even had the black hair of Temnes, who was revered within the realm.

By the time she was able to discern her interests, she knew that whatever she wanted, if she said it, it would happen. As a result, she grew up with a greedy personality who was satisfied only when everything went according to her will.

It really bothered her that Kaian said something to take care of Claudel.

'I told you to take good care of my wife.'

But there is no way to know why he said that. She looked at the man sitting across from her, feeling uneasy about not being able to resolve what was bothering her.

Burbrook was a pathetic bastard.

'Do all men become childish and foolish like this when they get older without even being able to hold a woman's hand?'

Antjone's venom rose to its peak. How could she beat me?

She didn't think it was her fault, but that it was because Claudel was being mean to her and pretended to be wronged when she told Kaian that she had stolen her ring.

She said Kaian, who cared about her, couldn't do that. As the Lord, he had no choice but to give her punishment, and he thought it best that she had been severely punished.

So far she hasn't been able to give up on Kaian.

'How could I give up?'

Kaian will definitely be different from the man like Burbrook in front of her even as he gets older. He will grow old very gracefully and nobly. He retained his beauty.

If she let go of her attachment to Kaian, the only people she would have to marry were insignificant and unappealing bastards like chaff of sin.

'I'll make you regret embarrassing me.'

She thought that by then she would have coaxed Burbrook well.

“Have another drink.”

Burbrook drunkenly toasted alone with the glass offered by the beautiful woman.

***

I heard the sound of a pen tip applying force scraping neatly across paper.

Srak. Crunch.

I, who had slept soundly for a while, woke up in a good mood.

Srak. Srak. Crunch.

As I hugged my soft pillow and narrowed my eyes, a spectacular sight unfolded.

With Kaian lighting the candle, he was concentrating on his work.

I had intended to sleep briefly during the day, but I slept so long that the sun had already set and it was the middle of the night.

Every time the piece of paper he flipped through fluttered, the shadow on his face fluttered.

Through Kaian's handsome eyebrows, I watched his wrinkles rise and fall. Soon Kaian reached out his hand and smoldered the wax with fire.

Grumble.

When he skillfully tipped the lit object onto the envelope containing the folded documents, the melted wax instantly fell into one place with a popping sound.

As Kaian extinguished the wax and quickly pressed and removed the family seal, he sighed softly and I felt the urge to steal his lips right away.

There wasn't much of a chance to see Kaan at work other than the sight of him teasing me as he lazed around in my bedroom.

The royal castle was a place where other nobles could chat and interact with each other, so we were together as much as possible.

Originally, the job of the noblewoman, the hostess, was to manage the castle's household affairs, but I still hadn't done much.

The day I first learned how to swim from Kaian, I was offended by the words 'Duchess with nothing to do', but unlike how I made excuses back then, after the estate festival was over, I returned to the royal castle and found that I still had no work to do for the butler. This is because it was not handed over.

'Other Lords would work like that too.'

What Kaian did felt different. Even the strokes of a pen looked as disciplined as pulling a sword from its scabbard, as the man did what he must have repeated every day as a Lord.

As I was oblivious to my gaze, I felt like I was spying on him.

'I wonder why I have to see my husband like this, but it's something I never have the chance to see.'

I watched him open the document, read it, scribble his signature, stamp it with the matriarch's ring on his finger, and seal the envelope.

'I never get tired of watching it.'

I wasn't bored at all just watching Kaian sit on the chair and work.

It was really nice to see long, well-shaped fingers opening and turning documents, then folding and sealing them again.

'You must think good thoughts and keep good things in your eyes.'

Suddenly I remembered the doctor's words.

Then I felt like I realized something.

'This is prenatal education.'

I was happy as I found many good things in my eyes.

Because of that, without realizing it, I lifted the corner of my mouth and let out a snort, and only the faint sound of the wind passed by, and Kaian looked at me right away.

I was sad that prenatal education ended suddenly.

“You’re awake.”

After seeing me, he organized what he was looking at.

“Why are you doing this here?”

“It just so happened.”

Kaian came to the side of the bed and sat down. I woke up and caressed his warm cheek.

“Is your insomnia cured? You slept well.”

“I’ve been sleeping better these days than before.”

“Thank goodness.”

“Cough. Cough.”

I, who was sitting up, coughed slightly. When my coughing stopped, it felt like my chest was itching a little.

"Phew."

Kaian, who was watching me sigh, asked.

“Are you coughing again?”

“To change my posture. My breath was stuck in my neck.”

I took a deep breath of my own.

'The aftereffects of Herzol aren't coming out now, are they?'

When I thought about the baby, I felt anxious about everything, but if I doubted everything that way, I wouldn't have any nerves left.

“I think it would be better to lie down more.”

When I woke up, the man saw me coughing and suggested that I rest in bed.

"No. I’m hungry.”

I looked out the window.

It was so dark it was hard for me to tell what time it was.

“What time is it?”

“One o’clock in the morning.”

"I beg your pardon?"

I was surprised.

I had slept almost all the way from about 4 PM until now.

'It's past dinner time.'

By this time, all the servants would have gone to bed.

It was on the verge of a growling sound from my stomach. Then the center of my chest began to feel uncomfortable again, as if it had been lumped together.

“I think I need to eat something.”

“Let me wake up the servants.”

The castle servants were busy working all day. I hesitated for a moment, not wanting to loudly wake them up from their sweet sleep in the early morning.

Then Kaian suddenly asked.

“Would you like to go to the kitchen yourself?”


Previous                Next
   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments