IHMEB - Chapter 101 < Promise >






A small teddy bear or jewelry out of nowhere, new boots to wear on a rainy day, a hat with artificial flowers made of silk, and even a jewelry set you've never seen before that you think might be new at a jewelry store.

Peppermint candy and bonbon chocolate tumbled out of his pocket, which he accidentally spilled out of my hand.

'It looks like he was so excited that he just bought something.'

Besides, he had a lot of work to do this afternoon, so he was stuck in his office.

“You said you were busy today, right? When did you last visit the Marketplace?”

He was a lord who governed his territory meticulously.

Today, he only ate half of his lunch and woke up early, saying he couldn't do it because of all the work he had to do after returning to the capital.

Kaian tended to feed me things and take his time during his lunch hours, so it was the first time since I got married that I had seen him so pressed for time.

“I took a short break from work.”

It was only a 20-minute horseback ride to the marketplace.

If he had bought this much, it would have taken him about two hours to get there.

I swallowed.

'Surely you told him right away?'

No matter how I looked at it, I wondered if thr doctor had not kept his promise and informed Kaian of my pregnancy.

As soon as that thought occurred to him, I felt my heart sink.

'I asked you to keep it a secret.'

At the same time as I felt betrayed by the doctor, anxiety rose.

'He told me to have a baby. Then he will believe me. I'm so happy that I'm pregnant, but what if something goes wrong?'

I felt like I couldn't breathe.

Herzol wasn't the only reason to worry. Originally, pregnancy had many variables.

It was not uncommon for a mother to have a problem while giving birth.

If my body, which had to bear the child for ten months, was weak due to Herzol, it was difficult to know whether I would be able to endure the pregnancy to the end.

There was a time when I hesitated and couldn't say what I wanted to say.

“The doctor said so. It may be difficult to have children due to the aftereffects of herzol.”

Kaian picked up the candy and chocolate that spilled onto the floor and put them in his pocket.

“I’m glad you found a good treatment.”

“Oh, yes.”

I blinked.

'...Good treatment?'

Kaian sat down next to me and held my hand.

“Try to put your mind at ease. A child is a gift from God.”

The doctor's visit was not something to be kept secret.

As soon as he was done examining me, he was usually called to Kaian and had to talk to him like a report.

'Ah. I think he said I needed treatment for some kind of aftereffect.'

I roughly understood the situation. Only then did I feel relieved.

“I will try my best.”

“Claudel, thank you."

When I turned my head at his sudden words, my eyes met his red eyes looking at me affectionately.

It was said that the red eyes of Temnes were created from drops of blood that fell from the fingertips injured while God was creating the continent of Ita, seeping into the ground.

A human who monopolizes God's impartial love.

Among the past Temnes family heads, the man who was considered one of the most outstanding achievements sometimes poured out his whole world to me.

In this moment of looking at each other, it felt like nothing else was important.

He still enveloped me with his warmth, and I still had him in my heart.

“I thought you were angry because I said I didn’t trust you.”

...It's true that I'm angry.

Even though I said I hate Kaian, it's me who will really get upset if I can't see him.

It all felt pathetic and frustrating.

“But still, I want to have my own child. I didn’t know you would mind.”

“I said I would trust you if you give birth to a successor if you have a baby.”

I needed assurance.

“You must keep those words.”

Since we were enemies, I was desperate for a card that would overturn the statement that Vermonters could not be trusted. Only then will I be able to stay by Kaian’s side for a long time?

I was disappointed, but at the same time tried to accept Kaian's words.

Because even the Duke of Vermont, to whom I was indeed related by blood, was not so kind to me.

'There is a limit to what you can expect from others.'

I hoped it was him, but in the end, it was someone else.

He did not treat me maliciously after that. He was just as he said.

Because our relationship is between Vermont and Temnes, the line was drawn that it ends here. If we wanted to get past that, they were saying that the only key to opening the closed door was the child they had together.

At that time, I thought I would never be able to have children, so I was frustrated with no answer. Hope literally soared when I realized that the seed of life was already growing in my body.

Kaian spoke emphatically.

“I promise.”

My family disappeared in an instant.

But when I give birth to a baby, my baby becomes my closest family member.

Although my baby was still an unstable being, the mere fact that I had a baby gave me strength, and I wanted to protect her child in any way possible.

I wanted to raise my baby healthy and give birth well so that I could hold my baby tightly, feel his warmth, and kiss my baby's cheek.

Just like my mother did to me when I was very young and couldn't even remember her face.

I was so overcome with emotion that my confession had failed and I heard like a thunderbolt that I wanted to confirm his words. When Kaian obediently 'promised' it, I felt relieved, as if the mental hardships I had endured had reached some kind of destination.

As my mind was relieved, the desires I had been holding back sadly reared their heads.

“Kaian.”

I let go of his hand and stood up, sitting astride Kaian's legs. I placed my hands on Kaian's firm chest and rested my head.

"Hug me."

While I was upset and avoiding him or passively resisting him, I missed him all the time.

As I, unable to sleep alone due to my insomnia, hugged the pillow tightly as if to block his advances, Kaian lay down without saying anything about my attitude.

I was alone and curled up, but it was my loss. It was me who couldn't sleep, so I said.

In the end, after sneaking glances at Kaian and his breathing becoming even as if he had fallen asleep, I laid my head on the man's shoulder and felt the feel of his strong arms with the backs of his hands holding a pillow, which made me feel even sadder.

He was the one who hugged me every day, just as I wanted, except for the day we went hunting at the Prom Hunt.

I said it would make no difference whether I confessed or not, but my pride was so hurt that I remained unchanged and no different from how I used to be.

But since Kaian didn't comfort me or apologize, it felt like it was festering inside.

Of course, I could not have imagined that Kaian would be happy to see me hurt and struggling, seeing it as an indicator of my sincerity.

As soon as I somehow got my hopes up, I found myself wanting to cling to the bad guy again.

Because I've been missing his embrace so much.

However, rather than hugging me face to face, Kaian just looked down at me as I fidgeted in his arms as if he was in trouble.

"Why? Please."

“Didn’t you hear from the doctor?”

"What?"

Kaian sighed as I tilted his head.

“He said you’re not feeling well these days, so you need to be careful for a while while the treatment progresses.”

“What are you careful about?”

“So I told you to just hold my hand and sleep.”

I blushed at Kaian's words.

“W-what are you talking about? I just asked for a hug.”

"Ah. Is that something like that?”

Then, Kaian held me and headed to bed, walking slower and more cautiously than usual.

'If he knew I were pregnant, he would carry me around.'

I laughed to myself. On the other hand, I was surprised by the unexpected appearance.

I didn't know that I would be so happy to hear that I wasn't 'pregnant' and that I was going to try and get treatment because the baby talk was the first thing that came to my mind.

'Anyway, I think the doctor spoke well.'

I felt fortunate in many ways.

My nerves relaxed as if I had been cut off from what had been bothering me for some time, as Kaian lay down next to me and held me close.

“Claudel.”

I heard Kaian calling my name from the top of my head.

“If I have a baby... No, nothing."

"What? Why do you stop talking?”

What if you have a baby? What on earth are you going to say next?

"No."

I escaped his embrace and tried to get up.

Then, Kaian forcefully grabbed me into his arms and pulled the blanket over me.

“Go to sleep quickly.”

“You grow up making people curious?”

“I’ll tell you when the baby is born.”

I felt the urge to say that, in fact, I already had a baby.

“The doctor said it’s not good for you to be stressed.”

“Do you want me to forget what I just heard?”

"How?"

Even though it was dark, Kaian’s appearance was clear.

He changed his posture, slowly raising his body like a leopard, and then he lowered his head to me flexibly again.

Kaian placed his hand next to my shoulder and kissed my lips. I fell in love with the pleasure he gave me for the first time in a long time like a hummingbird catching the falling dew.

‘Sleep well, Baby.'

In his arms, I closed my eyes comfortably for the first time in a while.

Even after Claudel fell asleep, Kaian could not sleep.

'How can I sleep on a day like this?'

He cannot accept her heart as it is.

Having a successor was a good excuse for him.

It would be a reason that even a wife from Vermont could not separate and had no choice but to respect, and that no one could criticize or refute.

“Claudel, I will be a faithful husband to you.”

His heart belonged only to her.

Could there be a more perfect love than this between Vermont and Temnes?

This is the pure affection that sprouted between the families of enemies.

So, even if it hurt her heart, he hoped she would endure it for just a moment. If the time they spend together now is fulfilling compared to their crooked beginnings, he hoped that they would give just a little more strength until the day when they stand side by side and see the distant future.

Kaian looked at the sleeping Claudel with his eyes boiling with joy.

“If I have a baby...”

He continued what he had been saying earlier, saying that he couldn't sleep because he was curious about Claudel.

“I will definitely make that child the heir of Temnes.”


Previous                Next
   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments