TPITT - Chapter 33




“Magic stones are not obtained for free. We just don’t see the costs because they are being paid at someone else’s expense.”

It was clear that the remark had in mind the homunculus who labored in the mines.

As expected, she was the 7th princess, known as the royal heretic.

But strangely enough, rather than feeling rejected by my words, Anais found herself trying to accept that they were true.

“Hey, talk about something else for a moment.”

I then realized that I had revealed my secret thoughts and quickly changed the subject.

“In addition to the bakery, we also have a kiln in a pottery workshop. There are also ways to use it. Building in District 17, Bathhouse is also close to ‘Artisan Street’ where workshops are concentrated. I think you can use it as a reference when revising the genealogy.”

“Ah, I see. The kiln temperature is much higher than the oven.”

I waved my right hand and erased the picture of light drawn in the air.

“Was this helpful enough, Countess?”

“Suffice is not enough, Your Highness. You are the benefactor who gave us the wisdom to save our family. As the head of the small family of Lucyard, I would like to express my sincere gratitude.”

“I’m glad.”

I smiled broadly. It was not a social smile, but a sincere smile.

This is because an absurd and terrible past has been corrected.

In the last life, Count Lucyard could not avoid bankruptcy.

Everything is according to Brigitte's plan, and Count Lucyard's business is absorbed into the Marquis of Chensley's business.

In the process, the bath business was also transferred to the Marquis of Chansley.

However, in contrast to the time when Brigitte was a Lucifer, Brigitte is a source of her own funds.

They spare no effort in providing support to Chansley, including lifting fire prevention regulations.

Chansley's public bathhouse project proceeded smoothly thanks to her power.

They achieved great success by popularizing the bathing culture throughout Hadelun.

To put it mildly, not only the nobles but also the Emperor was influenced by the culture of the common people.

Desmond II got rid of the marble bathtub he had been using in his bedroom.

In ancient times, a large and luxurious bathhouse was built exclusively for the Emperor.

At this time, the honorable person in charge of construction was, of course, the Marquis of Chansley.

'When Count Lucyard heard the news, he could not overcome the injustice and committed suicide.'

If it had ended here, the bathing business would have ended in misfortune and tragedy for a family that became a political scapegoat.

But after Brigitte and Chansley do that, the karma of the story does not end there.

One of the public bathhouses that was operating successfully was engulfed in a big fire and completely destroyed.

The cause of the fire was negligent fire management. This was due to excessively relaxed fire prevention regulations.

The catastrophe resulted in over 300 casualties.

The ruined public bathhouse became a huge funeral hall.

'Yet Brigitte did not take responsibility or reprimand the Marquis Chansley.'

It was something that should not be repeated.

Cut off Brigitte's financial resources and use my own financial resources.

Securing it is important, but the lives of your subjects are important.

A sacrificial future should not be left to the flow.

At that time, Anais' sonorous voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Your Highness wants to help our family. Since you extended your hand, I too deserve the grace. I guess I should repay you. Is it possible that you would like support, Your Highness?”

“Ah, I am devoted to alchemy research. It seems that the Countess also knows the truth. Thank you for the offer, but what I want is something else.”

“Tell me what it is, Your Highness.”

“I want to do business with Countess.”

“Business?”

Anais opened her eyes wide.

A corner of the room where social gatherings were neglected until recently.

It was a natural response since the alchemist said he would pursue business, a more active and outgoing activity.

I was as confident as I had prepared for a long time.

I showed up and made a proposal.

“I am very interested in the public bathhouse business. A hot bath is simply not just an act of cleanliness. Hadelun is a culture that relieves physical fatigue. I expect it to become established. And if things go as I expect, there will inevitably be a business that will develop together.”

“What kind of business is this?”

“It’s a soap business.”

A gleam of interest appeared in Anais' eyes.

I, encouraged by the good signal, spoke even more enthusiastically.

“Regular soap won’t work. Today, the soap used by commoners is of low quality, it is no different from the laundry soap used by noble families. No. It doesn't smell good, doesn't foam well, and is fragile. People with sensitive skin can peel off their skin.”

“So, you want to invest in the high-end soap business.”

"Yes. It is also an opportunity to distribute good soap to the citizens. I will take over the workshop and make soap using recipes I researched myself. I’m confident.”

Actually, in my last life, I had a bath business.

From the beginning of my career, I began a hobby of making soap and moisturizing cream using my alchemy and tea blending skills.

As it was a field I was interested in, I was also familiar with all the product lines that were popular at the time. It was an investment that was bound to succeed.

Anais seemed to have sensed success from my firm gaze. She nodded her head seriously.

"Great. Start with soap, and if the response is good, move on to other bath products. We will increase it further.”

“Thank you for your positive response, Countess.”

“I can’t even say thank you. I am happy that I have found a good investment location.”

It was when me and Anais exchanged smiles. As if she suddenly remembered something, she opened her mouth again.

“One more thing, if the bathing business prospers, there is another business that is likely to develop.”

“What is it?”

Does Anais have any other profitable areas?

I made my eyes shine. But from now on, 
the story to be told was not bright and hopeful.

“It’s a prostitution business.”

“It is a place where men and women become naked, so even those who harbor such desires...It's bound to happen. And this kind of business is done in the shadows. It is bound to lead to enormous wealth.”

Memories of my past life flashed through my mind.

The Marquis of Chansley actively ran a prostitution business in the shadows with Brigitte's connivance.

He brought in a huge amount of wealth and created dark money for Brigitte.

With the rise of prostitution, Hadelun's security was in disarray.

The area around the public bathhouse where a brothel was formed has become a hotbed of crime, with kidnappings to procure girls and boys for sexual exploitation.

And human trafficking was rampant.

In effect, it was as if slavery had been revived.

At that time, after staring at me for a long time, Anais opened her trembling lips.

"Your Highness..."

“Please speak, Countess.”

“I am offended, but we in the Lucyard family will never touch prostitution.”

"It's a good resolution. I want to work With you too."

After hearing the answer, Anais breathed a deep sigh of relief without even realizing it.

I saw this and asked in a laughing voice.

"I guess Countess was nervous because she thought I was encouraging you into the prostitution business?”

“Well, that is, I’m sorry. Just in case... I unintentionally insulted Your Highness’s honor, even if only in my head.”

"No. The countess looks down in front of the money. It was a reasonable suspicion since you must have seen a lot of people. Anyway, what I said earlier was a courageous and straightforward statement.”

“So, I’m just sorry..."

Thanks to a small misunderstanding, me and Anais were able to understand each other's feelings. Trust has increased.

The pearl shell room was good for a short chat, but it was a long time.

It was not appropriate to have specific discussions during the meeting.

I slowly tried to end the secret affair.

“Then let’s meet separately to discuss the details, Countess.”

“Yes, Your Highness. If it is okay with you, I will enter the palace early tomorrow morning.”

"No. There are many seeing eyes and listening ears in the imperial palace. If it were the way it was, now we just have to anxiously wait for a letter from the 3rd Princess. But what if you suddenly come to see me? There is no benefit in informing the palace about such facts.”

“Then what will you do?”

“I will send my personal maid to the townhouse on Lucyard Street. If there is a maid who comes to deliver a bouquet of yellow rudbeckia flowers, please greet her politely.”

There is more work for Cedella to do.

“Countess, I guess you haven’t been able to rest properly due to the mental hardship you’ve been going through. I would like to tell you to go home and rest, but the 3rd Princess's... We need to deceive her eyes and ears, so I would like you to stay in the ballroom longer.”

"Yes. Even so, I planned to leave after showing the ballroom how anxious I was.”

Anais' answer was tragic.

Although it was never what she wanted, she was now destined to be hostile towards Brigitte.

To protect the family and the company, she had to stay alert.

“It was such a valuable time. Then I will leave now, Your Highness.”

“Please take a look, Countess.”

The result of meeting Anais was a success. I felt relaxed.

I buried myself deeply in the couch for a moment, closed my eyes, and rested.

“Michael, it’s over.”

There was no answer.

“Michael?”

Feeling strange, I pulled back the velvet curtain and stuck my head out.

However, Michael, who was supposed to be waiting outside, was nowhere to be seen.


Previous            Next



Comments