IHMEB - Chapter 68 < Monster Born from Forced Marriage >




“He talks to someone else’s wife whom he has never formally greeted in the absence of her husband.”

Kaian's cold tone sounded as if he was 
criticizing the King for ignoring etiquette as he pleased.

“Someone else’s wife. Are I a stranger?”

However, Valquiterre, who accepted it without any hesitation, seemed to be familiar with even Kaian's attitude.

“Welcome to my castle.”

When Valquiterre extended his hand as if to allow him to kiss the back of his hand, Kaian dared to slap the King's hand away and hug him roughly.

“I’m guilty of ignoring the rules of etiquette, so I guess they’ll overlook this.”

Two sturdy men hugged each other for a moment, gave strength to each other's arms, and shared the joy of the aftermath.

"Welcome, Kaian.”

Kaian, who released the hug at Valquiterre's words, wrinkled his eyebrows and spoke coldly.

“What happened at Promhunt?”

“Strangely enough, when I called you and said you were really coming, I didn’t want to go.”

“With that bastard’s whim.”

My heart pounded a little as I watched Kaian talking informally with the King.

This is because he seemed more relaxed than any time I had seen him before.

'Both Madame Marcel and Hannah said it was never like that, but he never shows me like that.'

If he really thinks that I am ‘his person’ who he can trust and be by his side.

If it were okay to just stay without expecting anything in return, he wouldn't have to draw lines or build walls like that.

I felt that Kaian's line was a little broken when their bodies were touching, and otherwise, even when talking alone, he was always putting up a wall that was difficult to express.

The reason people around them say, ‘The Lord really cares about you,’ is because, as servants, they have no choice but to stay outside of Kaian’s absolute line.

However, I is his wife, and they have a much closer relationship than we do, so I was upset and disappointed that he drew the line at me.

He was so clueless that I would have felt better if I hadn't known.

Since I was a child and grew up in the castle of Valmonde, I was a sloppy person, so I couldn't help but notice that the man I liked had a low attitude toward me only when we were sleeping, but quickly returned to its original state after the moment of pleasure.

“It’s really nice to see you like this, Kaian.”

“'It would be nice to go up like this, get married, and then go down. I thought you would never call me by my name again when things like this happened to me.”

“I tend to keep a strict distinction between public life and life.”

I looked at Valquiterre, who was chatting amicably, with envy.

'Someday, when time passes, will Kaian treat me sincerely like that?'

However, even though it was something that came to mind, it felt like an unreasonably distant topic, and I felt sorry for myself.

“Isn’t it cold?”

Kaian turned his head to me.

"It's okay."

“The clothes seem a bit thin.”

He adjusted the shawl I wore around my shoulders so that it wrapped a little more around my neck.

“There was a meal in the room. Go and warm up first.”

"How about you?"

“Let’s go soon.”

Then Valquiter dissuaded Kaian.

“Don’t do that, let’s eat breakfast together. I will tell the maids to bring something to wear.”

"Go in, Claudel.”

I noticed that I was caught between the majestic King of the Kingdom of Oberon and my husband, who had power over my life and death, and I quietly retreated.

“Then I will wait for the opportunity to formally greet you, Your Majesty."

Valquiterre just looked at me silently and did not do anything to me, so I quickly left the scene.

On the way back to my room I felt a little depressed.

“Is it because I’m dressed so sloppily?”

I had my bare face and the clothes I always wore comfortably at Rowen Castle.

It was a good thing that I had washed my face and cleared my eyes before changing my clothes.

“I did brush my hair, though.”

I wondered if my attire was so embarrassing that my husband's cousin, the King, with whom I was so open and at ease, refused the invitation.

When I returned to my room and looked in the mirror, I sighed softly.

“Starting tomorrow, I can say goodbye to comfortable clothes.”

I never thought this situation would come. To meet the King without warning in the palace!

I only imagined the King as walking around grandly with a string of servants and maids behind him.

“I wanted to see more of that side of Kaian.”

No matter how many times I look at Kaian's face, the coldness has completely disappeared to the point where it feels gentle, I would never get tired of it.

Feeling regretful, I took off the shawl from my shoulders and sat down at the table where the meal was placed.

Because Kaian was asleep without his clothes on, I deliberately asked the servant to light a fire in the fireplace in the room.

I wondered if he had woken up from his sleep due to the presence of servants coming and going.

When I opened the lid of the bowl in the warm room, there was a thick and savory-looking potato soup inside.

The bowl containing the bread was not a basket, but a warm ceramic bowl. When I picked up the fluffy, soft bread and cut it in half, the smell of butter wafted into the air.

It was a warmth that made people’s hearts generous.

I had been hungry since I woke up in the morning, so I slowly ate the bread and soup.

“Is this also an aftereffect? Why do I keep getting so hungry?”

Thinking back before I got sick with Herzol, I had never suffered from the feeling of being hungry during meals like this.

When Kaian told me to go in, I felt embarrassed, wondering if it was because I was dressed poorly, and the thought of filling my stomach with a warm meal as he said.

“I’ll have to ask the doctor when I get back to Rowen.”

Herzol's aftereffects.

I'm also worried about not being able to have children. I was also worried for no reason that my eating habits had changed.

***

When Claudel was sent back to the room, Valquiterre sounded disappointed.

“Do you think I am a leisurely person? Now that we have some time, it would be nice to talk a little more.”

“But that doesn’t work.”

Valquiterre asked a question as he watched the Duke resolutely refuse the King's offer of lunch.

"Why?"

“Claudel has a hard time when meals are late.”

“The table and meal will be brought over in about twenty minutes.”

“She can’t wait for that. She's falling down.”

Valquiterre frowned.

“But how on earth do you know that?”

“I'm her husband, but I don’t even know that? Claudel tends to eat at set times.”

"Ha. I can’t believe the word ‘husband’ comes out of your mouth. It’s so creepy and strange.”

“If you have a conscience, I hope you open your eyes and see clearly. The result of the royal command you gave.”

The monster of a married man born of forced marriage.

Kaian crossed his arms and glared at Valquiterre.

It was indeed the first time the two had seen each other face to face since receiving the marriage order sent by telegram and following them to the capital.

At that time, after a short conversation, Kaian got so angry that he stormed out of the King's office, so they couldn't talk about anything else.

However, since it was their first meeting in two years since the triumphal ceremony held when Kaian returned from the war, it had been a really long time since they had seen each other leisurely like this.

“For all the complaints, you were doing well.”

"For example?"

“I heard you showed off your fantastic dancing skills as the Lord of Rowen Castle at the fall festival.”

"Also?"

“But I heard that for some unknown reason, you never returned to the festival square again.”

“Did you send someone?”

“Did I send someone? Couldn’t you have stopped the people who went to the famous Rowen Festival from talking?”

Kaian uncrossed his arms and sat down on a golden chair in the hanging garden. Valquiterre himself pulled up a chair and sat down next to him.

“Marriage to Vermont. I thought the worst, but I’m trying not to live like that.”

“You’re trying so hard. Kaian, I can’t imagine you putting in the effort to endure anything.”

He ordered him to get married and look at this. Kaian was shocked but responded calmly.

"Is it? If you get married, you will realize that theory and reality are different.”

“Theory and practice. What’s the difference?”

Kaian smiled and answered without realizing it.

"Person."

People were the biggest variable.

Because Claudel became his wife, Kaian used to do things he never thought of doing before.

“Can you believe it? I, who was about to burn Valmonde just six months ago, is thinking about taking Claudel on a trip to the land where she was born and raised.”

“Amazing. It’s really amazing.”

Kaian placed his hand on Valquiterre's shoulder.

“You too, get married quickly, Valquiterre.”

“Now is the time when I most regret ordering you to get married. I never thought you would say the same things that the capital’s nobles do every day when I see their faces.”

“That’s a good thing too. The courtship that used to be kindling no longer comes in.”

“Smug.”

Valquiterre looked at Kaian seriously.

“If you have a good bride, introduce her to me.”

“A good bride? Where is the noblewoman I know?”

“I think I can believe you if you say she's a good girl.”

Kaian felt that there was a bone in Valquiterre's words.

'Is it not possible to get married easily?'

After Valquiterre became King, Oberon's kingdom fell into tribulation and gradually came out of it.

As the five years of war passed, both Kaian and Valquiterre became men who had sharpened their blades so that they would not break easily.

But Valquiterre's marriage could also be the beginning of a new era.

'I can't believe you would believe me if I said there was a good woman.'

Believing was important but difficult.

While he tried to get along with Claudel, Kaian also felt like he had never-ending homework.

“If belief is the standard, it must be really difficult.”

Valquiterre took interest in the words he mumbled self-deprecatingly.

“Is your bride trustworthy?”

“She is a trustworthy person.”

But Kaian couldn't speak honestly.

'No. Yet.'

He wanted to believe her, and he was trying to get her to believe him.

However, Claudel was someone who could convey her affairs and the affairs of the territory to the head of Vermont, who was his enemy.

'If she sent someone to another telegraph office, I might not know.'

Or don't deceive him.

However, because they were sent without any consideration, Kaian was able to read all the telegrams that Claudel sent to the Duke of Vermont in order.

There were times when he thought it might be some kind of trap, but it didn't seem to be.

Even to the point that the sender is Hannah Pebble, her maid who has now decided to become Temnes' faithful servant.

'I wasn't in a position to give Valquiterre any advice.'

While talking with Valquiterre, he only confirmed the bitter truth that Kaian still does not completely trust Claudel.

When will he be able to trust Claudel?

...What happens after the Duke of Vermont is defeated?

Kaian calmed his thoughts of becoming violent.

“That’s not important. Your will was important in this marriage.”

“It’s your wedding, so your will was important. I feel sorry for you for no reason.”

As Valquiterre said that, Kayan's stomach sank from his tangled mess.

“No way. If me and I get married and the country becomes more comfortable, that's okay. If it’s for you.”

Valquiterre laughed at Kaian's words and stretched out his arm to wrap his arms around his shoulders.

“If only I had subjects like you, I would have been able to stretch my legs and sleep comfortably a long time ago.”

“But the notification ceremony was too much. You were indeed angry.”

Valquiterre took out his pocket watch and looked at it.

"The time has already come to this. I have to go now.”

The busiest person at the King's Birthday event was the King himself.

Kaian nodded.

“I think I’ll rest a little longer and then look around the capital. I don’t know when we’ll have another chance to talk.”

“Relax in my castle. If you need anything, just tell me.”

They shook hands and parted ways, tapping the backs of their hands and palms alternately like they did when they were children.

As Kaian disappeared from the Hanging Gardens, Valquiterre pondered what he had just heard.

“He says she can be trusted?”


Previous                Next



        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments