IHMEB - Chapter 66 < Bed Handling >

<

“One room is enough.”

The ‘one room’ that Valquiterre threw to Kaian and Claudel was a test.

If the two obey the servant's instructions and end up in separate rooms, it means that their relationship is not yet amicable.

If a King or a noble invites another noble couple, they will naturally give them a room with the best bathroom among the guest rooms.

Even after inviting the couple, they were never shown to separate rooms, but the relationship between the two families so far was such that even the servants who had been commissioned under the names of Vermont and Temnes considered that to be more appropriate.

It was a yardstick that could be used to easily gauge the relationship between the two.

But Kaian came forward and said he would share a room.

Valquiterre was standing high up in the central hall overlooking the entrance to the castle and was watching it for himself.

The woman he saw at the lake was probably Vermont's second daughter, who had married Temnes.

There is no reason to endure it until the royal ball.

However, he cannot wait until she dresses up nicely and comes to formally meet the King.

After finding out that Princess Irena was not that woman, quite some time had already passed since he invited Kaian to the King's Birthday event.

In the meantime, Valquiterre had to suffer from his unexpected unpleasantness from time to time.

He felt an urge to meet the woman with the mysterious smile again as soon as possible, and at the same time, he was maddeningly angry at the fact that she and Kaian were a couple.

He was raised as a King from a very young age, so he rarely experienced emotional fluctuations like this.

However, it was different when Kaian was involved.

“I’ll have to check.”

Sudden encounters are often specially imprinted in their minds.

It was as if Valquiterre had invited Kaian to his birthday to see Claudel.

“I didn’t know he would respond.”

Kaian had no intention of coming even if he called him once, so he was really wondering what was going on.

“Thanks to you, I got the opportunity. I will be able to meet her properly soon.”

A dark shadow appeared in his blue eyes.

***

Imperial Palace’s cooking was wonderful.

What's special about it is that each dish is decorated with different ingredients or gold leaf.

Many of Valmonde's dishes were made by boiling ingredients grown in poor soil as gently as possible.

Unlike cattle, pigs, and chickens raised by humans, wild boar or deer meat caught in the wild has many parasites and is fishy and tough. It's a food that has been developed so that you can eat it deliciously.

But in Rowen, you don't have to cook like that. Even if you pick and eat all kinds of things, it still tastes rich and deep.

The cattle were raised on a pasture full of grass, and the pigs were raised under an orchard full of unripe apples, so the meat tasted excellent.

I used to think that I ate more sausages in Rowen than I had ever eaten since I was born.

However, Palace's cooking felt like a completely different realm, and I was amazed every time I tasted each of the dishes.

The good news was that Kaian, who was serious about increasing my food intake, did not get irritated when I ate and ate and ate, but rather, I started to feel better and better.

"It is delicious. The decoration is pretty too.”

“When we go to Rowan, I find a cook from the capital and take him with me.”

I put a dessert spoon in my mouth with a bright smile and shook my head with a straight face.

“It’s not that neat.”

“Don’t you like it?”

I said, 'Everything is pretty,' and then I remembered the past when he robbed a jewelry store.

'The chef is not a travel souvenir.'

If we take people to Rowen one by one because they are good, delicious, or pretty, there will be one person unemployed at the lord's castle.

I spoke calmly.

“Rowen’s food is the most delicious and good.”

As soon as Mistress of Rowen said something pleasant to his ears, Kaian's eyes softened.

“That’s true. A lot of the capital’s plantings are sent from Rowen.”

"Is it so?"

“We even send things like fruit to Valmonde. Some only come from Rowen.”

“I guess so.”

I looked down at my plate, which was already empty.

I liked that it was delicious and pretty, but when he put one or two bites of everything on a new plate and handed it over to me, it was embarrassing because the plates piled up next to me.

'It looks like I ate very combatively.'

Kaian put down a new plate in front of me. It was also my first time seeing this dish.

“Why is there a little bit of everything?”

At Rowen, all I had to do was take a small portion of what was served on a large plate and eat more of the delicious food.

Although this type of meal tasted good and was pleasing to the eye, it was not very good.

Kaian's eyes narrowed.

“Don’t be a picky eater.”

“...Really?"

“Hahaha.”

I rolled my eyes as I saw him laughing uncontrollably.

“Are you teasing me again?”

“Only the royal castle serves food like this. It means to be thankful for His Majesty’s grace.”

I counted the finished plates piled next to me with my eyes.

I had to thank His Majesty nine times.

I put down the fork I was holding in my hand.

“I want to stop eating.”

“Eat more.”

“If I keep doing this, I’m going to gain weight.”

“The doctor said you need to eat a lot.”

“...Really?"

“They said that eating well and resting well is important in recovering your health. Although you ate well during the trip, you were probably tired. Eat well when you can and go to bed early today.”

"Then..."

I did not hesitate and quietly lifted my fork back.

“But there is this room.”

The room we were staying in was decorated in a bright and cheerful atmosphere.

“Isn’t the atmosphere similar to Rowen Castle?”

The entrance hall I passed through earlier, the hallways of the palace, and other places felt like that.

When I went from Valmonde Castle to Rowen Castle, I felt that the atmosphere was clearly different, but I should say that Rowen Castle and Oberon Castle are somewhat similar.

“It’s because my mother made extensive renovations to Rowen Castle.”

"Ah."

“Because she grew up in this castle. There is that, and basically, Oberon Castle was modeled after Rowen Castle.”

“I saw it in a book.”

No matter how similar they wanted to be, the atmosphere would have been different if the framework was different. However, since the Kingdom of Oberon started in the land of Rowen and the first castle built was Rowen Castle, there was a reference to the newly built Oberon Castle, Rowen Castle, when the capital was moved to the center of the continent.

“Maybe that’s why I never had trouble sleeping even when I came to the capital since I was young. It felt like home.”

“You look really comfortable.”

“I’m not the type to hide my bed very much. What about you?”

“I don’t think I care about where I sleep, but I have insomnia.”

Even if I couldn't sleep, it was difficult to know whether it was because I was uncomfortable sleeping or because of insomnia.

“You’ll figure it out when you sleep tonight.”

However, I could not sleep even after lying for a long time in the familiar bedroom, which was said to be modeled after Rowen Castle.

"I can not sleep."

"Why?"

“Because the pillow and blanket feel different.”

In Valmonde, people were covered with thick blankets made of wool because of the cold.

Rowen is cool all year round, so we used bedding made of soft, thin linen.

The feeling of the palace's smooth, silk-like blanket touching my skin was stuffy and unpleasant. Additionally, it was uncomfortable that the bed I was lying on was a bit harder than the one at Rowen Castle.

“The bed is hard too.”

Kaian, who understood my complaints, said.

“I can’t. Come on top of me.”

"Yes?"

“Sleep on me.”

“No, I don’t think that’s right. I’ll sleep like this.”

“Shouldn’t you sleep properly? You don’t plan on spending your time in the capital dozing off until the sun rises in the sky, do you?”

That was it.

While coming up to the capital, I was reading a travel book about the kingdom and taking notes on places I wanted to visit, but I was worried that I might not be able to see them since I was staying in the castle instead of the mansion.

Although Kaian said that he didn't need the King's permission to just look around.

“But how can I treat you like a bed?”

It was a completely different matter from lying down with his arm as a pillow.

“Is the treatment of the bed a bit different? You rode up to your heart’s content earlier.”

I threw off the blanket and jumped up.

“It would be better to have a separate room.”

My face seemed to be on fire.

I picked up my gown and tried to put it over my nightgown when Kaian grabbed me by the waist.

“What are you embarrassed about?”

“You are so shameless.”

“How long will you be embarrassed? I begged you to do it first.”

As Kaian took my hand and dragged me away, I reluctantly followed along as if being dragged.

“Come up.”

I awkwardly fell down on his body.

I've never slept like this before.

But when I lay down again, my lower abdomen was warm, and instead of the flowery smell of an unfamiliar royal bed, it smelled like Kayan, and it was quite nice.

"Good night, Claudel.”

Kauan's hand gently brushing my hair made me feel drowsy as if my eyes were about to close, and then a warm darkness enveloped me.

***

“Hmm.”

Surprisingly, it was early in the morning when I woke up.

Kaian was fast asleep.

The man who faithfully served as my warm bed all night must have been very tired himself.

I was so busy that my husband, who always woke up earlier than me, watched me sleep comfortably for a long time and then stood up.

Even though I ate a lot yesterday, I was hungry when I woke up.

Among the clothes I had brought with me was a white dress in the Rowen style, my skirt tied around my waist, and I tied my shawl around my shoulders.

I was sure that the capital was much further north than Rowen, so the morning air seemed quite chilly.

I quietly covered the blanket to the man who was lying down with his upper body exposed and quietly came out of the room.

The maid who had been standing helplessly in front of the door all night saw me and bowed their head with a surprised look on their face.

“Please light a stove in the room. Don’t put in too much firewood.”

"Yes, Duchess.”

“And I would like to ask for a light meal. Bread and soup are enough.”

As the maid withdrew, I walked slowly down the long hallway.

After hearing the words from Kaian, I kept looking for a spot that resembled Rowen Castle, as if I was playing a hidden object game.

Then something strange caught my eye.

I saw something bluish, as if it had folded colored paper, in the spot where it was hit, so I looked at it closely.

It was a large butterfly, half the size of my palm.

“Are there butterflies in places like this?”

When I tried to place my hand on a butterfly sitting on the floor rug with the wings folded, it fluttered its wings and flew down the hallway.

“I think we need to take it outside.”

I walked slowly, helplessly, following the butterfly.

Soon a terrace with golden bars appeared, and the butterfly flew into the gap.

“Wow.”

Beyond that, an incredible scenery unfolded.

A large garden was spread out against the rising morning sun at the high site of the royal castle.

I stood holding on to the bars and watched for a long time as the blades of grass covered in early morning dew glowed in the sunlight.

At that time, I heard an unfamiliar man's voice behind me.

“Do you like it here?”


Previous                Next



        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments