IHMEB - Chapter 13 < My Hand Wasn't Hurt >

IHMEB - Chapter 13 < My Hand Wasn't Hurt >

Having An Enemy's Baby





“I heard you got a bad leg?”

My eyes widened slightly as she saw Antjone being blatantly rude to my face.

But that's it.

When I didn't react by getting angry or screaming, I silenced her.

My inaction silenced the crazy colt Antjone for a moment.

I asked her.

"Who are you?"

Moreover, when my innocent words without any malice came back, Antjone looked at Hannah in confusion.

'What? Didn't you tell her?'

The day she came out of Kaian's bedroom and ran into Hannah.

The woman in Vermont must have been so upset after hearing the harsh words she poured out.

But when she saw Claudel sitting upright and clean, like a freshly cut jade bead, blinking her eyes, she felt a sharp sense of indignation.

“Don’t you know who I am?”

Antjone triumphantly held out her hand, which had a blue diamond in it.

“Can’t you tell by looking at this?”

Only then did Claudel's indifferent face crack a little.

“Ask your servant. She must have seen me coming out of Kaian’s bedroom.”

When Claudel's eyes fell on Hannah, she looked at her golden eyes as if she were embarrassed, then raised her angry eyes and she walked towards Antjone.

“Why did you come? Get out! Right now!"

The bloody battle of women has begun.

***

Kaian was looking closely at the items presented by the jeweler brought by the butler.

“This is the most popular thing these days.”

The jeweler was very eager to seize a business opportunity after a long time.

“You may have seen it in person. It is a reinterpretation of Her Majesty Silvia's favorite style. It’s gorgeous, but it’s also small and light, so it’s suitable for everyday enjoyment.”

What caught Kaian's eyes was a ring and bracelet made of tiny diamonds and rubies in the shape of flower vines.

As the craftsman said, the jewel ring was made like a garland, and although it wasn't very thick, it looked bright and delicious.

He used to think that guys who chose things like this to win a woman's favor were all pathetic.

In any case, Kaian wasn't doing anything pathetic to win Claudel's favor. He presented what he was doing as a dignified act to repay his benefactors of the Temnes family.

“Let’s do this. Please prepare a matching necklace and headdress.”

"Yes. My lord.”

He was overjoyed when Kaian generously added large items to him.

“Then when can I see her, my Lord?”

“Claudel?”

"Yes. For customization, we need to measure the circumference of her fingers and wrist.”

"Right."

Suddenly he remembered the early night gift he had given her.

“Is it possible to reduce the size of the original ring?”

“Of course. Usually, precious and good jewelry is passed down through generations and is reduced or enlarged to fit the size of the person using it. It’s possible.”

"Right. I didn't know that. Does it take a long time to measure?”

"No. I tie the circumference with a thick thread so as not to cause any discomfort, then take it away.”

Kaian stood up.

“It’s almost time for lunch. Let’s go together and ask for her understanding for a moment. Butler."

He called the butler.

“Bring my meal to Claudel’s room quickly.”

"Yes. My lord.”

The butler who was about to leave the office first turned around.

“My Lord. If I may be presumptuous, I have one question to ask.”

“Say it.”

“Since you called the craftsman, how about we get your blue diamond ring repaired too?”

"Ah."

They only asked if the size could be reduced and did not even think about it.

Kaian nodded.

“Thank you for reminding me. Please take note.”

So the butler went to call the servant and Kaian headed to Claudel's room with the jeweler.

'It wasn't a gift that could surprise you.'

Unlike other assets, the wives' jewelry was treated as private property.

So, he used to hear in the salons of the capital of the kingdom where the royal castle was located that the Ladies were fawning over all sorts of things to somehow receive expensive jewelry from their husbands.

When Madame Cronach of the Salon heard the stories of such noble ladies, she often said, 'If I had a husband who would come out if I opened it, I would want to open it, too.'

For a moment, Kaian imagined Claudel, who only reacted slightly no matter what he said, beguiling him into buying jewelry or being cute.

He couldn't imagine.

Because it was so different from the Claudel he had seen.

'I originally thought that she might be a little happier if I showed her the finished product.'

Unfortunately, she didn't even give him the appearance of wearing it even though he gave her something that didn't fit, but it was right to measure it properly and give her something that fit this time.

Anyway, once he measures the size this time, all he has to do is have the craftsman make something that catches her eye.

This or the next jewel could be a surprise gift.

However, Claudel's bedroom, which had been quiet for a while, became noisy.

A familiar woman appeared through the open door of the room.

“Why did you come? Get out! Right now!"

Hannah was yelling at a woman with long black hair.

“It’s disrespectful to guests who come to visit.”

His eyes fell on the woman's exposed ankles, tied with sleek silk ribbons.

Antjone turned around at first sight, but when she made eye contact with Kaian, her attitude changed.

As Kaian's eyebrows furrowed, Antjone looked startled and gave Hannah the bouquet she was holding before hurriedly backing away from her.

“Antjone? I said never be in front of me again...”

“I'll go, Duke!”

Antjone, who had cut him off and was flustered, suddenly excused herself.

“I came to visit her in hospital. Then I’ll leave.”

Before Kaian could say anything, she disappeared as if running away.

His eyes rested on the flowers Antjone had brought.

“Take that away.”

"Yes...? Yes."

Hannah stood there with a dumbfounded expression on her face and then left the room holding the flowers. She placed the bouquet down in the hallway where the cleaning maids were collecting trash, and Hannah hurried back to the room.

“What’s happening all of a sudden?”

“The jeweler said he needed to see you.”

"Lady. This is my first time greeting you.”

Amid the chaos, the jeweler politely bowed his head to Claudel.

Since ancient times, if a nobleman's affection for his wife was measured by the amount of money he spent on matching jewelry for his wife, the money Kaian spent today was the king of kings.

He wanted to see his wife often in the future, so he kindly put down the measuring tools he had brought on the table.

“Please sit comfortably over here.”

Claudel hesitated. She wasn't in her pajamas, but she wasn't even close enough to walk from the bed to the table.

“I will move it. Come on."

When she didn't know what to do, Kaian lifted the blanket that covered her legs, lifted her body lightly, hugged her, and made her sit on the chair.

The jeweler handed her thin white silk gloves.

“Please wear this.”

Claudel slowly put on the gloves. Because the hands were so thin and small, the craftsman looked perplexed as he saw the fabric hanging loosely instead of stretching even though the silk gloves were a little elastic.

"Alright. This is the first time this has happened. It’s my first time seeing someone with fingers as thin as yours.”

The craftsman looked at Kaian.

“I’m sorry, but you have to take off your gloves and measure before I can produce the item you want to use. Allow me to touch your hand...”

"That's not allowed."

Kaian looked at the jeweler with a straight face.

“If you tell me how, I will do it. Can’t I just tie it with a string?”

"Yes? Yes. You're right."

He lifted a piece of string cut to length out of the box, wrapped it around Claudel's finger, and tied it.

Then the craftsman quickly handed him the scissors.

“Cut the knot some distance away.”

In no time, Kaian was done measuring the circumference of her fingers and wrist.

"I will do my best. My Lord.”

It was time for him to retreat.

"For a moment. Please bring me something to fix.”

Kaian said to Claudel.

“Because I didn’t think about it. I gave you something that didn’t fit as a gift.”

"Yes?"

“It’s the first night gift.”

Claudel's eyes widened when she heard that it was an early night gift. Kaian astutely noticed the troubled look in her eyes.

“The jeweler said he could size it down. My mother was quite tall. I should have guessed that the ring wouldn’t fit you.”

“... The ring."

Claudel muttered softly and seemed to have no intention of handing over the item, which made Kaian frustrated.

He would have to spend some private time with her if he had to let her out quickly with the jeweler.

With so much work to do in the afternoon, he felt like every minute was a waste.

"Hurry."

“It’s okay. Even if you don’t fix it.”

"What?"

Claudel looked at him and said.

"I'm hungry. I’m a little tired.”

"Ah... Yes. Let’s call it a day and leave.”

Only the bewildered craftsman diligently gathered his things and disappeared.

A moment later, the butler appeared, leading servants carrying trays of food for Claudel and Kaian.

“I heard you’re eating better than before, Ma’am?”

The butler arranged the dishes in front of Claudel.

“I’ve alerted the kitchen, so if there’s anything you want to eat, just let me know.”

"Thank you."

Kaian's eyes found Hannah.

The maid was very obsessed with Claudel.

It was a huge problem because he wanted to be alone with her, but she refused to leave her even when she was eating because she wanted to wait for her.

'Where did she go today?'

He thought she was standing near the door just a moment ago.

Kaian's heart sank a little more when he thought that he didn't have to worry about her for no reason.

“Hurry up and lift your fork."

Kaian scooped up soup that was at just the right temperature and brought it to Claudel’s mouth.

"Excuse me.”

"Huh."

“I don’t know if I can say this.”

"Say it."

Claudel hesitated.

“My hand didn’t hurt.”

"I know. To that extent.”

The place where she was injured was her leg. Who doesn't know?

Claudel looked even more confused at his firm and short answer.

“But why do you keep trying to feed me food?”

"Well..."

Even Kaian couldn't figure out the reason.

For the first few days, she was confined to her bed and could hardly eat.

‘Your body is too weak. If things continue like this, any recovery will be fleeting.'

The doctor was in a panic as if her condition worsened and she would be in big trouble.

She didn't eat her meals properly if left alone.

'Eat.'

Claudel barely managed to swallow what Kaian forcefully fed her.

“Why aren’t you eating properly? If you eat well even if I don’t feed you, you won’t be this annoying.”

On the one hand, it was difficult to deal with Claudel because every time he said or did something, her reaction was different from what he expected, but seeing her calmly accept and swallow what was spoon-fed to her was a strange relief from his stress.

How great would it be to listen to words like this?

Not only when eating, but also in other areas.

“I’ll have a good meal. You’re busy, so there’s no need to come here on purpose.”

“You have a long way to go to get better.”

“It doesn’t even hurt anymore. I also took a bath yesterday. I practiced walking this morning.”

Claudel was white and pretty today, probably because he had taken good care of her and fed her for several days.

“Are you really okay? It doesn’t hurt at all?”

"Yes."

She clenched her fists and nodded her head.

“Then tonight. Don’t sleep and wait.”


Previous            Next


        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments