RAMHM - Chapter 29 < To Destroy The Enemy >



“May the blessings of the Lord be with you, Your Highness the Crown Prince.”

“You came! And you even have a partner...!”

Crown Prince Bardenaldo looked at the beautiful woman standing next to his brother with eyes full of curiosity.

“May the blessings of the Lord be with you, Your Highness the Crown Prince. This is Blie Acacia, wife of Count Acacia.”

“It’s my first time seeing you. Count Acacia is a loyal vassal of the Grand Duke’s family, so it’s good to see you. Are you the partner the Grand Duke arranged for Rhodnes?”

The Crown Prince smiled meekly and turned his head toward Noevian. Grand Duke Noevian's eyes were unusually wide. He stared at the lady standing next to Rhodnes, unable to close his mouth that had opened without him realizing it, and after a long time, he opened his mouth.

“...Yes. The lady has not yet completed her debutante and needs a chaperone. Besides, Count Acacia cannot come to the capital right now.”

“Oh, so the Countess’s partner is the Second Prince and the Grand Duke takes the place of the chaperone?”

Noevian barely nodded like a wooden doll at Doris’s interesting voice. A small laugh escaped from Rhodnes’ mouth as he stared at Noevian. He said that he had found a partner for the wife of the vassal who had failed to find a chaperone for the debutante and that he had appeared as a chaperone during the funeral. Doris, who had been watching Rhodnes’s reaction closely, slightly raised her small chin and narrowed her eyes.

'That's not even funny.'

It was rare for a married woman to have a late debutante, but it was not uncommon. Naturally, since she was recognized as an adult, she did not need a chaperone. Doris, who had been looking at Bardenaldo, who smiled without a doubt at her uncle’s decision, stared at the noblewoman who was bowing her head to her. No matter how pitiful the circumstances were for Noevian Trovica, who was called the romantic of the century throughout the empire, how could he take care of her vassal’s young wife like this during his own wife’s funeral? 

And that woman who rarely showed up at parties like this, who had taken the seat next to Rhodnes and was drawing attention... 

‘Adrienne Swan Piretta.’ 

It was the same face as the face of that woman who had shaken Doris’ past life upside down, the face she could not forget no matter how much she wanted to. 

***

Doris, who was resting her hands on the railing of the well-carved marble stairs, wearing white gloves, trembled slightly. She was watching Countess Acacia dance her first dance with Rhodnes and her second dance with the Crown Prince, who had come to the dance hall willingly. She felt a strong sense of rejection towards Countess Acacia, who was dancing with Bardenaldo with the same face as Adrienne and receiving the attention of Rhodnes.

"Grand Duke."

“Yes, Your Highness.”

“If the Countess doesn’t have a chaperone, I’ll be her chaperone myself.”

Doris turned around, her hands trembling as she looked at Noevian, who had not responded. A fire lit inside her heart as she glanced at Rhodnes, who was still standing there looking down at her partner.

"How is it?"

“Thank you, but it’s okay.”

“Why?”

“The Countess is already married, and she did well at the last victory ceremony without a chaperone, so there won’t be any problems.”

Oh my goodness. Then why did you come as a chaperone to that lady who looked exactly like Adrienne? 'That' Grand Duke Trovica? 

Doris forced a smile.

“I am currently looking for a lady to be a chaperone for Countess Acacia. Since it is the height of debut season, it is difficult to find someone, so I had no choice but to come here. Don’t worry, I will handle it so that Your Highness, who is very busy, does not have to worry.”

A man of few words has a really long tongue. Doris purses her red lips and her eyes sparkle.

“I don’t know if I should say this, but to my eyes, the dead Grand Duchess Trovica and the Countess look quite similar. Don’t you think so, Lord Rhodnes?”

Doris met eyes with Rhodnes, who was standing overlooking the dance hall, and briefly grabbed her heart before continuing.

“Of course, it’s been so long since I’ve been in the same room with the Grand Duchess that I don’t remember it clearly, but I have a strange feeling that she resembles her. Don’t you think so?”

“I don’t know. The appearance of women is all the same.”

After a half-hearted answer, Rhodnes turned his gaze back to his partner. Doris's gaze was then turned to the Grand Duke.

“Well, it’s just a coincidence, and green eyes aren’t uncommon, so maybe it’s my imagination.”

As Noevian's expression darkened, Doris smiled in return.

*** 

When I told those who questioned my existence that I was there as a chaperone, they were intrigued. It was very rare for a chaperone of the opposite sex to be present. I danced wildly and naturally blended in with the group of young ladies.

"I heard that His Highness the Second Prince has been assigned something important recently. Do you know?"

I was standing quietly, watching Noevian, and my ears perked up when I heard Rodnes's name.

“Madam, you came as a partner, don’t you know? There was chaos for a while. Baroness Kuroseda went missing and the capital was turned upside down, right?”

“Baroness Kuroseda?”

“Why...”

One of the ladies lowered her voice quietly.

“The lady who was rumored to be His Majesty the Emperor’s mistress.”

"Ah!"

I flinched at the word mistress. Fortunately, the shock of the disappearance of Baroness Kuroseda somewhat distracted the attention that had been focused on me and Rhodnes. 

Baroness Kuroseda. This is the first time I've heard of her.

“Similar incidents have occurred three times in the capital, so the capital city police are now on high alert.”

“But why, His Highness the Second Prince...?”

“Well, His Highness the Second Prince is in charge of such matters.”

What exactly is this 'thing' that Rhodnes is in charge of?

“Why?”

In an instant, all eyes were focused on me again. A few ladies who had been calmly looking me up and down whispered as if they were doing me a favor.

“Because His Majesty the Emperor’s troubles are all taken care of by His Highness the Second Prince?”

“Was it so?”

“I guess it is true that Madam is not accustomed to the capital’s social circles. It is also said that the Grand Duke made arrangements for the Second Prince to take on the role of Madam’s partner.”

Some noble ladies were ostracizing me, unable to take their eyes off the clothes I was wearing or the things I was wearing. However, for me, who had suffered from excessive ostracism from those below me, the atmosphere was not unpleasant.

“Ahem. Well, if you want to continue socializing in the capital, remember this. Even this would be high-level information for a woman who debuted without a formal chaperone.”

“What is it?”

“Your Majesty loves all of the sons of the late Empress Letina, but He especially cherishes His Highness the Second Prince. Even though he is known to be a troublemaker, he can achieve great feats because of it.”

“Why does the Emperor favor His Highness the Second Prince over His Highness the Crown Prince?”

“He looks a lot like Her Majesty Empress Letina. Her Majesty Empress Letina’s portraits are hanging all over the palace, so you probably recognize her even if you’ve never met her before.”

The lady with the crimson hair said as if it was obvious that I had never seen the hem of Her Majesty Empress Letina’s dress. I nodded so as not to disappoint her expectations. And without any particular answer, I turned my gaze to Rhodnes. 

Standing askew with his dull, dull eyes, he looked somewhat dangerously charming rather than bad. When I thought about it, he did look a lot like Her Majesty Empress Letina. She also had her shiny blond hair up in a bun, and it sparkled even from afar. And for a moment, Rhodnes’ eyes and mine met exactly, even though we were quite far apart. I was startled and hurriedly looked away, but my eyes met with Crown Princess Doris, who was standing next to him. 

Oh my. She was probably one of the few high-ranking nobles who knew Adrienne’s face. But when I greeted her earlier, she didn’t say anything special, perhaps because of my makeup or appearance that had changed so much. I had put on heavier makeup just in case, so it would have been unrecognizable. 

The last time I saw her was at the wedding with Noevian. 

Doris Castagna. The Crown Princess, now called Doris Ronta. She wasn’t even a Princess I was particularly close with. I remembered her face. A woman with dark brown hair and deep green eyes that went amazingly well together. I remember her giving me a generous congratulatory speech at my wedding, even though I wasn’t even close with her. 

Doris Castagna definitely seemed very excited about my marriage with Noevian. 

*** 

I was called to them after dancing five more times. The Crown Princess and her husband were staring at me openly, but rather than being surprised to see a face that looked like Adrienne's, they looked like they were watching a clown who was going to show off his skills in front of them.

“Greetings again, Your Highness the Crown Princess. I am Blie Acacia, wife of Count Acacia.”

“That’s enough of the formalities, Ma’am.”

The Crown Princess shows a much more gentle and affectionate face than I knew her to be. And...

“I heard you were looking for a chaperone. Is that right?”

For a moment, I was taken aback and looked at Noevian. He shook his head with a stern expression. It was telling me not to accept her offer.

'You want me to turn down an offer you couldn't refuse?'

In fact, since I am already a married woman, the chaperone doesn't mean much. Originally, the chaperone's role was to protect the young noblewoman who had just become an adult, prevent and block unnecessary rumors, and at the same time help her expand her network. At least, there was less chance of unnecessary rumors spreading to a married woman. However, it would be extremely rude for the worthless Blie to refuse the kindness of the Crown Princess. I don't know Doris's personality very well, but at the very least, I think I should pretend to be very embarrassed.

“It is an honor, Your Highness. However, Your Highness must be very busy, and I fear that by daring to accompany you I may tarnish Your Highness’s reputation.”

Doris's well-groomed eyebrows twitched slightly at the subtle answer. Noevian looked slightly relieved.

“Of course, I’m not saying I’ll do it for you.”

Who asked me to do this? 

Doris was strangely obsessed with me. I was busy racking my brain to figure out how to screw Noevian over, and if I had to worry about the Crown Princess, my head would hurt. But somehow, I kept smiling.

“Anything you want from me...”

“I just need a maid.”

“Your Highness.”

Noevian's voice, which seemed to have been suppressed for a long time, burst out ominously. Doris's face distorted for a moment, then she ignored Noevian's call and smiled affectionately at me.

"How is it?"

I had decided to reject her, but when I think about it, I feel very sorry for Blie's situation. She doesn't have much power or wealth, and she hasn't been able to devise a detailed plan to make Noevian despair. But I have a hard time accepting it. It's because I will no longer be a noble once I get Rhodnes's consent and formally file a divorce petition with the court. Blie's original status is, to put it bluntly, a bit too much for her to handle the job of serving Doris, who will become the Empress.

'But if I stay by her side, I might be able to make new connections other than Rhodnes, and maybe even find Noevian's weaknesses.'

If I could just put off the divorce for a bit and stay by Doris’ side for a while...

The Crown Princess’s father, the Duke of Castagna, and Noevian aren’t on good terms, so I might be able to get some information. I looked toward Rhodnes, who was a little further away. His face was expressionless, but he nodded slightly as if telling me to do whatever I wanted.

“I am weak and cannot stand to wait for long, but I will accept this honorable position for a moment before you bring in a more noble lady.”

To destroy an enemy, you must be friendly with the enemy of the enemy. When Rhodnes nodded, I gained some courage and greeted her without going against etiquette. Doris looked me up and down and nodded compassionately as if she understood me well.

“I guess the story is over.”

I followed the Crown Princess and smiled, raising my head. Noevian had a more eerie expression on his face than when I entered with Rhodnes.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments