ICTFF - Chapter 30




There is no flower with one leaf (10)

Thud, thud, thud!

There was a constant sound of something thumping down, and the carriage shook violently every time.

I lay face down on the floor and waited for the rain of arrows to stop.

They can't keep attacking from a distance forever. They don't have infinite arrows.

If they use up their arrows, they will have no choice but to move, and they will not be able to defeat the knights of Eldern with melee attacks.

'I just have to hold on until then.'

The sound of the carriage being knocked increased.

Under the fierce arrow attack, holes began to appear in the sturdy defenses.

It must be because of the paralyzing poison that makes my whole body stiffen like a piece of wood with just a light touch.

How many knights have suffered? No one has died, right? Is Ian coming back?

I was even more anxious because I didn't know what was going on. There was nothing I could do but lie down on the carriage floor and tremble.

As I grew tired of my own helplessness, the intervals between noises became longer and longer, until at some point I couldn't hear them at all.

It was unclear whether they had used up all their arrows or were unable to attack because of Ian's interference.

The surrounding was enveloped in an ominous silence. Nadia slowly raised her head.

"Uh, is it over?"

"I don't know."

"Let me take a quick look."

The moment Nadia slightly opens the curtain.

Those dressed in black poured out of the forest.

"Attack! Sweep them all away!!!"

"All attack in formation!"

About forty assassins and twenty knights mingled together, swinging their swords at each other.

Shouts and screams erupted from all directions. Blood splattered everywhere.

The smell of blood seeped into the carriage. I covered my mouth in disgust.

"Miss, are you okay?"

"Yeah, it's okay-."

Before I could answer, my body was thrown backward. The carriage started off without warning.

"What, what is it?"

Nadia scrambled to her feet and checked the palm-sized window on the stable side.

I could see the back of someone's head sitting on the coachman's seat and pulling the carriage.

"He doesn't seem to be the coachman. Is he a knight? Where is he going without saying anything?"

She tilted her head and pointed next to me.

"Huh? There's a carriage carrying Montpain running over there too?"

Two carriages were running in opposite directions.

The ranks of the knights who had been calmly dealing with the assassins began to break apart. They were confused as to which side to pursue first.

I bit my lips without realizing it.

'It's a diversionary operation.' 

It is realistically difficult to pursue Montpain and me at the same time while dealing with multiple assassins with the remaining personnel.

Ian will have to decide which side to take and which to leave behind.

Since he probably already knew the assassins' background and purpose, it was right to choose Montpain calmly.

I will be kidnapped, but I will not die.

'You've put a lot of thought into it. Not like Oslo.'

Squeak squeak.

The heavy carriage wheels began to scream. The lights hanging from the carriage ceiling began to swing wildly.

"Aren't you going too fast... I'm afraid the wheels will fall off."

I grabbed Nadia's hand as she muttered worriedly.

"Nadia, listen carefully."

"What?"

"The person driving the carriage right now is an assassin."

Nadia's blue eyes opened wide.

"Really? Uh, what do we do now?"

"I have to escape."

"Jump, let's jump?"

"That won't work. It's too fast and dangerous."

Even if you don't die, it's obvious that you'll be seriously injured. If you break your leg, you'll be caught before you can even run away.

"The window leading to the stables, does that open?"

"No, it's fixed."

"Yes...."

As the words trailed off, Nadia's face also became clouded.

"Then let's put the stick between the wheels."

My staff was a specially made item and was quite strong.

So, if you push it under the wheel of a moving carriage, it won't break without a fight.

"If a wheel breaks down, he has no choice but to stop the carriage. We can run away while the man fixes the wheel."

"Why don't we just wait until the Duke comes to rescue us? That seems too dangerous."

"I thought he wouldn't be able to come quickly."

"Why?"

Because he has to save Montpain first.

"There were a lot of enemies. It'll take time to clear them all out." 

"Ah..."

"So we have to buy time. Do you understand what I mean?"

"Whew, I see."

Nadia took a deep breath and rolled up her sleeves.

"Give me the cane. Can I just push it into the spokes?"

"Yeah. By the way, is there something like a small knife?"

"I brought a fruit knife to cut some fruit for my young lady. Are you really going to stab that guy with it?"

"No, the man might do something stupid. I'm keeping it just in case."

"Oh, right! I didn't think about that. Just wait a minute. I'll find it for you."

Nadia rummaged through a small box and took out a palm-sized knife.

"Here it is, hide it in your arms."

"Thank you."

It's excessive, but it's still pretty sharp. I think this is enough.

I  handed the cane over to Nadia and asked.

"Aren't you scared?"

"You told me I would live a long life. I'm a little nervous, but I'm not scared."

"Yes."

The carriage door opened wide. A fierce wind blew in.

Nadia fell flat on the floor, holding my cane. I held onto her back tightly to keep her from falling out.

"Whew, let's get started, Miss."

"Be careful."

Nadia stretched out her arms.

After a few fumblings, the carriage suddenly jerked loudly.

Woozikkun! Kikkigikkkik!

There was a sound of something breaking, and then an unusual noise came from the wheels.

Whoa! Whoa!

The assassin pulling the carriage hurriedly pulled the reins. The carriage, which was teetering as if it was going to overturn, barely came to a stop.

"Huft, I succeeded!"

"Nadia, turn on the light."

"A lantern? Yes, I understand!"

Nadia looked outside through the lantern hanging from the ceiling. Then she took a deep breath and whispered quickly.

"He's unhooking the horses from the carriage! I think he's going to abandon the carriage!"

Neither a coachman nor an assassin would bother to fix a carriage wheel.

If the carriage breaks down, just ride a horse.

"Ouch! He's coming this way! Oh, Miss, what do we do?"

Before I could answer, the assassin appeared before us, leading a horse.

"Come out."

As expected, it's just one. They have no intention of letting Nadia live.

I knew it. Oslo's target isn't Nadia.

"Hey, just touch one hair on our young lady! I won't stay still!"

"Ugh."

I pushed Nadia away with all my might as she stood in front of the door, screaming.

Nadia, who had been pushed out of the carriage, looked back with wide eyes.

"Oh, Miss?"

"Let that kid go."

"Miss!!!"

Nadia screamed. The assassin snorted.

"You're a funny girl. Do you think I'd listen to you?"

"Otherwise, you'll have to bring my body to Oslo."

"What?"

He aimed the knife under my chin. As the sharp blade pricked my skin, lukewarm moisture ran down my neck.

The assassin's face turned irritated.

"You want me. Let her go."

"That young lady is full of boast."

"Should I bet on whether I'm bluffing or not? I'm confident I'll win."

"..."

The assassin, who had been glaring at me as if he was going to kill me, laughed at Nadia. 

"You're a lucky girl. Get out before I change my mind."

Nadia looked at me, shaking her head. Her blue eyes were getting moist.

"Oh, Miss, I don't like it. I don't like this kind of thing..."

"There's a light, so you can see the marks. Go up against them. Singing a song."

"No, a song?"

"So the knights will know where you are. Scream as loud as you can. Got it?"

"..."

"Go now."

Nadia started to walk up the mountain path, sobbing.

The singing, which had neither the pitch nor the beat right, rang out loud.

"Then shall we go?"

"Wait."

"If you act like this, I have no choice but to change my mind."

"How can I trust you? You could fool me and do something stupid to her."

"..."

"If that singing suddenly stops, I'll think something's wrong with her and stab me in the neck. Don't pretend like I can't see it."

The assassin sneered.

"You're the dragon leader."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments