ICTFF - Chapter 20 < Pest Control (6) >




Pest Control! (6)

Sierra swallowed hard.

It seems he has finally realized that he has no choice but to pay the money back.

"You'd better pay it back on time. If you don't pay it back by the end of this month, my older brother will send someone to your house."

"Hey, are you crazy? If my dad finds out, I'll die!"

"If you were so afraid of the Count, you shouldn't have borrowed an amount you couldn't afford. Or, would you like me to send a certified letter to the Count directly?"

"Oh, no! That is absolutely not possible!"

Sierra grabbed my hand urgently.

"Well, then please extend the deadline a bit. I need to sell my dress and accessories to get the money, but I don't have enough time."

"I thought it was written in your own handwriting on the loan certificate? You said you would pay me back whenever I wanted."

"That!"

"That?"

"... I didn't know you would ask me to pay you back..."

"Even a three-year-old knows you have to pay back what you borrow, Sierra."

Sierra, whose face was blushing, suddenly raised her head.

"Honestly, this amount of money is nothing to you! But do you have to accept it anyway? If you act so harshly, people will curse you!"

"Don't you read the newspaper? It's you who's being cursed at right now, not me."

Sierra bit her lip. Then she squeezed her eyes shut, opened them, and smiled cowardly.

"Yes. Yes, so just extend the term. I'll pay it back every month for the next five years. no, ten years. Can you do that much?"

I had that thought.

What if Sierra came to me and sincerely apologized? I wondered if my heart would waver a little.

It was truly a pointless worry.

She never mentioned or apologized for what happened in Oslo.

In this situation, only her own safety is important.

"The deadline is this month."

"How could you do this to me? This is not right! You shouldn't do this to me!" 

"Why not?"

"You don't know that, so you ask? I'm your only friend-."

"What are you talking about when you've never treated me as a friend?"

"What? No! How long have I-"

"You hated me from the beginning. You thought I was pitiful for losing my eyesight when I had everything. But I had to endure it. The Third Prince asked you to become close to me. Be my only friend and make me depend on you."

"How, how about that..."

Sierra's face turned pale as if she had seen a ghost. I felt sorry for myself for giving half of my life to this person.

"Well, you might see me gossiping soon. I'm the 'first mover.'"

"..."

Sierra slumped to the ground, her expression blank as if she had lost her mind.

I looked down at the sight coldly and then turned around.

"Nadia, let's go."

"Yes, Miss."

"Now, wait a minute! That guy told me to do all that! I just did what I was told!"

Sierra, who came to her senses with a start, grabbed the carriage door and hung on.

The carriage door opened wide, revealing Kjer sitting inside.

"Oh. Your Grace..."

Sierra let go of the carriage door handle and backed away, perhaps not expecting me to be with someone.

Kjer didn't even glance at Sierra.

“Nadia, let's go.”

"Yes, Your Grace!"

Nadia pushed Sierra out of the way and got into the carriage.

The carriage started off smoothly, leaving her standing there in a dazed state.

***

The atmosphere in the palace was heavy.

The officials' faces were dark, an ally had tried to give Kjer a nod instead simply nodded.

It was evidence that the Emperor was not in a good mood.

"I'll be outside. Don't be nervous."

"Can I just go in?"

"You were the only person His Majesty had ordered to enter the palace."

"..."

"Don't be intimidated by His Majesty. Do what you believe. Don't think about your family or your clan. You are the only one who can refuse His Majesty's orders."

"I will do that."

As I stood before the audience chamber, the chamberlain took hold of the end of my staff.

"Follow me."

The Emperor had a completely different vibe from Oslo, with his gorgeous blond hair and blue eyes.

Ash-black hair, silver-gray eyes, a muscular build, and a square jaw.

It was an impression that felt both cool and strong at the same time.

He looked to be in his 30s, even though he was about the same age as my father. His mountain-like aura took my breath away.

"His Majesty is twenty steps ahead. Don't make eye contact... Don't raise your head and bow."

As instructed by the attendant. I bowed my head and slightly bent my knees to show my respect.

"I see the sun of the empire."

"Come closer."

I walked exactly five steps with the help of a cane.

The Emperor's deep voice echoed throughout the audience room.

"I heard that the head of the Imperial Investigation Corps set fire to the Astrod Mansion and was caught at the scene. I heard it was thanks to your wits, is that right?"

"I was just lucky."

"Did you know that he was the 3rd Prince's man?"

"..."

The Emperor nodded as if he understood even though I didn't answer.

"The Third Prince has denied all suspicions, and I have no intention of punishing him. Tell me what you think."

"I think it's a reasonable thing to do." 

"It's reasonable... That means it's not conscientious."

Punishing Oslo would mean admitting that his son had attacked a nobleman, a choice that an ordinary father might not make, but an Emperor should not make. 

"Thanks to you. I got into quite a bit of trouble. I was caught off guard by Marquis Astrod."

"If you say it's a weakness..."

"Instead of making the case public, I grant you one wish."

"..."

"How proud you were. I thought I had entrusted my wish to Marquis Astrod."

Was the reason your father entered the palace this morning to demand compensation from the Emperor for the incident?

I didn't know that I would use that reward for myself and not for my family.

"I'm sorry."

"A promise is a promise, so tell me what you want."

"I think my father said that because he was worried about me, but I have no wishes."

"Is it really not there?"

"Yes."

"Even though the Third Prince wants to be engaged to you?"

"Yes?"

I looked up in surprise, then immediately put my head back down. The Emperor was looking at me with his chin resting on his hand.

"The Third Prince said so. He said he was simply seduced by Sierra Coel. He said he couldn't resist strongly enough for fear that you would notice, and then he was caught by Lord Chevio."

"Do you believe that?"

"You're a fool if you believe it."

The Emperor snorted.

"The important thing is that the Third Prince wanted to be engaged to you. I couldn't find any reason to refuse. What do you think?"

"We broke up. And now we're engaged? That's ridiculous."

"He said it was all just a rumor. He said you would never leave him. You indeed had a fight over a small misunderstanding, but he said that if I told you the news of your engagement, you would change your mind."

I wasn't angry at Oslo, I was appalled.

Are you really out of your mind? What on earth could possibly make you think that way?

"Do you still have a wish?"

"Yes. Please take measures to prevent the Third Prince from approaching me."

"There is a more certain way."

"What method are you talking about"

"What about the First Prince?"

"Yes?"

The Emperor continued speaking nonchalantly.

"It is a self-evident fact that your choice has brought power to the Third Prince. Now, it has grown to a point where even I find it difficult to ignore it."

"I know."

"Of course, the political situation was also a factor, but without you, Oslo would not have achieved the strength he has today."

"...I won't deny it."

Even if I break up with Oslo, what has already happened won't go away.

The Emperor was pointing out this very point.

This is why the duty of neutrality was important to the Guardians. Even the smallest choices could have big consequences.

"It will take a long time for Oslo's power to weaken, and in the meantime, there will be pointless fighting."

"..."

"If the Prophet becomes engaged to the First Prince, all problems will be solved at once. The First Prince will be able to be put forward as the successor moderately and naturally without unnecessary fuss."

Even if I accepted this ridiculous proposal, there was no way the First Prince would accept it.

Unless he's crazy, would he get engaged to the woman his brother was seeing until recently?

Above all, the Emperor's intentions in making such a suggestion to the Prophet were extremely suspicious.

"Your Majesty, you are now making a proposal that violates my duty of neutrality. As a Guardian, I refuse."

"You have always violated your duty of neutrality, and now you come here and exercise your powers as a guardian. Don't you think that's ridiculous?"

"I won't make excuses. I'll just tell you that things are different than they used to be."

"Become engaged to the First Prince. This is not a recommendation, it is an order."

"I will change my mind. Please withdraw your command."

The Emperor stopped talking and stared at me.

Her silver-gray eyes narrowed. My whole body tensed up as I felt like I was being targeted by a predator.

A cold sweat ran down my spine. My whole body was trembling with tension.

Suddenly the Emperor burst into laughter.

"Finally, you have become the 'first walker'."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments