ICTFF - Chapter 40



It's a flower because it's pretty (6)

"Do you have a scar on your back?"

"No."

I didn't sense any signs of lying from Ian as he answered like that.

Of course, I'm not the one who can read people's minds, but at least Ian seemed to be telling the truth.

'I don't think it's Ian.'

Why wouldn't I be happy when the candidates have been reduced from three to two?

I lowered my gaze. As I was shaking off the incomprehensible disappointment, Nadia whispered quietly.

"How can he sleep so quietly? He's like a Princess from a fairy tale."

As soon as Rahon got into the carriage, he lay down on the chair and slept the whole time.

"Nadia, it's rude to watch someone sleeping."

"It catches my eye."

I admit that.

Even Rahon's sleeping form caught my eye. I wonder if I just wanted to touch him.

If even I am like this, it must have been worse for others. His life must have been difficult.

"You said he was coming to my mother's funeral."

"Oh, yeah, that's right."

"How was him then?"

"He was really pretty. But his personality was a bit... He was very angry. He got angry at the young lady the moment he first saw you."

"What?"

"It's you, sister?!"

"...Why?"

"The young lady called me 'sister'."

"Ah"

Rahon was so pretty that he looked like a woman to a child. It's such a shame that I can't remember him at times like this.

Come to think of it, I don't remember Ian ever coming and going from our house, nor did I remember Kalit attending the party I hosted as Guardian.

If my memory is intact, wouldn't it be more helpful in finding my benefactor?

"I should ask Lord Rahon if there is a way to retrieve my memories."

"Uh..."

The moment Nadia blinked with an embarrassed look on her face, Rahon, who she thought was sleeping, opened his mouth.

A low voice came out from his plump lips, somehow sounding even more lewd.

"What are you going to do by finding it?"

"...Are you awake?"

"What are you going to do with your memory?"

"It's better than not knowing."

"Memories disappear for a reason. Don't try to revive them."

He sat up and stretched, his rib cage widening as he stretched out his long arms. 

"Oh, I slept well."

Rahon sat down properly and opened the window. His legs were so long that his knees touched my knees even though it was wide.

I thought he would avoid it on his own, but I ended up panicking.

Rahon didn't move as if he didn't know anything. Every time the carriage shook, my knees also shook and touched each other. It felt strange as if they were being rubbed together.

Now it has become difficult to even avoid it.

I was afraid that if I moved my knees, he would feel uncomfortable and he would avoid me. That thought made it difficult for me to move.

Am I the only one who notices this? I glanced at Rahon.

He just stared outside with his chin resting on his hand. He didn't even notice that his legs had touched the ground.

'Is it because I'm a woman...'

If he is a homosexual, I, a woman, am not an object of sexual love.

Then it was understandable. Just as I was casually holding Nadia's hand and hugging her, Rahon must be feeling the same way right now.

When I thought about it that way, my uncomfortable feelings became much more at ease.

"I heard that you healed me when I was young. I just found out now because I didn't remember. Thank you."

"Should I be the one to say thank you? Back then, you gave me a silver coin as a thank you at your house. That was the first thing I received in return."

"I guess you started receiving medical expenses after that."

"Yes."

"Do you like money?"

When the topic of money came up, Rahon's eyes lit up.

"With money, you can do anything. You can buy fancy carriages, the finest jewels, magnificent mansions, and even people. Without money, you can't be free."

The clothes that Rahon wore were neat but cheap. He didn't wear any jewelry, not even a single ring, and the leather on his shoes was peeling as if he had been wearing them for years.

He was a man far from extravagant. Where did he spend all the money he had earned so far? 

"Would you like to do business with me?"

"What's the deal?"

"I will buy all the soaps that you make. The price is ten times that of the highest quality soap currently in circulation. What do you think?"

"You really liked the soap I made?"

"That's true, but there's another reason."

"What is it?"

"Can you possibly heal the aftereffects of an injury from 30 years ago? The wound has already healed." 

"If it's such an old wound, then you've already adapted to it and can live without any problems, right? I don't use my powers unless it's a dangerous situation."

"Medicine or other methods are also good."

"Who is sick?"

"My father."

"We'll have to see how it goes..."

"So, once the plague in Eldern has subsided, I want you to come home with me. That's the deal." 

Rahon's expression turned strange for a moment. Then he smiled faintly and continued speaking.

"It reminds me of old times."

"Yes?"

"No, I'm just talking to myself."

I was curious, but I didn't bother asking. Rahon's expression was so gentle that I didn't want to bother him with a pointless question. 

"What do you want to do? Will you do business with me?"

My heart was pounding as I spoke.

That was understandable, as there were so many people all over the world who were looking for Rahon's touch.
Wasn't the reason why my father had asked Rahon to heal my mother in the past and was rejected because Rahon's schedule was so busy?

After remaining silent for a while, Rahon suddenly stuck his arm out the window.

Ian, who was riding a horse next to the carriage, came closer.

"Why."

"Let's take a short break."

"What's going on?"

"Look at Nadia's face. She's going to get in trouble in the carriage if she keeps doing that."

Nadia's face was pale and she seemed to have a stomachache, as she was clutching her lower abdomen.

Why haven't you said a word since a while ago...

Ian immediately raised his hand.

As soon as the carriage stopped, Nadia opened the door and ran out like an arrow.

Rahon opened his mouth, his gaze fixed on Nadia's back as she disappeared into the forest.

"There's something I need to check first."

"Go ahead."

He turned his head. I quickly lowered my eyes as the gaze met his gaze.

"Where did you hear that?"

"What are you talking about?"

"That's it. A flower. You know what it is."

"Ah."

So you've figured out that I know his sexual preferences.

But I didn't hear it, I saw it. How can I justify this?

"Um... I think I overheard someone talking about it at the party when I became a Guardian."

"That bastard, who is that?"

"I don't know who it is."

"Even if you don't know the name, you must have seen the face. At least give me a description"

Rahon cut me off. He realized too late that I couldn't see.

"Sorry."

"It's okay."

An awkward silence flowed through the carriage. Rahon let out a long sigh.

"He must be the assistant priest who follows me around. He's the only one who knows. But there's one more."

"I will never reveal your secret, Rahon."

"...Are you okay?"

"What is it?"

"I...that's it."

"What does that matter? To me, Rahon is just Rahon. If only we could be family."

Because no one is more perfect than my family.

Rahon's face grew redder and redder. He covered his mouth and turned his head toward the window. The wind made it very clear that his neck had turned red.

"Travel expenses are separate. I'll also charge for medicine."

"Ha, thank you. I'll buy all the soap you made."

"Well, I won't refuse, but in fact, I will do the Guardian-related work without a bribe as long as the price is appropriate."

"Instead, I have to wait my turn. I am asking for convenience before other schedules, so of course I have to pay for it."

"It's a good mindset, but I've set my schedule in Eldern to one year from the beginning, so I don't have any other plans for the time being."

"That's even better. I was worried that someone might be in critical condition."

"..."

The moment Rahon stared at me blankly and opened his mouth Nadia returned with a relieved expression.

The carriage set off again.

I smiled quietly with my eyes down.

'It's okay.'

The purpose of the Eldern trip was to confirm that Ian was my benefactor and also to create an opportunity to bring the 'Savior' to my side.

The first one is for my father.

The second is to change the future in which Oslo takes the throne.

Now, one more purpose has been added.

I need to find out if Rahon has any reason to save me.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments