FYERIL - Chapter 38 < 9th Cord For Insomnia (1) >



Elena's body froze. She felt eyes pouring down on her from all sides. Those who had ignored her just a moment ago were now looking at her as if she were the most interesting thing in the world. 

"Gold, silver..."

"Elena barely managed to open her mouth amid the stinging gazes. A smile formed on her lips. 

"I think you should discuss this with my brother. I'll... I'll tell him. He'll take care of it soon." 

"Understood, Elena. Please also tell him that the store manager is waiting for you." 

"I'll do that. Then I'll take care of it." 

With those words, Elena ran out of the dress shop as if she was running away. As the gorgeous blonde woman stepped onto the street, those who were passing by gave her a glare. Those gazes that she would have gladly enjoyed in the past now felt like sharp eyes. They seemed to be eyes trying to confirm that she was the woman in the gossip magazine. 

Elena nervously opened her parasol and covered her face. However, she couldn't cover her ears. 

"Even though my friend is right next to me, I can't stop looking at that husband, hmm..." 

Elena clenched her teeth painfully at the sound of someone humming. 

"Eeeeek..!" 

Those damn lyrics. That damn song. Damn, Ariana...! 

'I'll pay you back, this humiliation for sure!' 

Ariana, who had been throwing out photos with a disgusting smile at her on stage. Elena clenched her trembling fists as she recalled that image. She knew she'd fall down like this. Even if the sky falls, there's always a way out. She was born a commoner and rose to the position of a soprano that nobles would pay to see. There must be a way out somewhere...

That was the moment she thought that way. 

"Gyaak!" 

A fierce hand suddenly grabbed Elena. Startled, Elena twisted her body this way and that, but she was no match for the strength of the much larger man. 

"Who are you-ugh!" 

The assailant who had covered Elena's mouth grabbed her and dragged her away. Elena, who was about to scream and call for help from the people around her, opened her eyes wide in the next moment. 

"Damn it, it's me, Elena. Follow me quietly!" 

It was Lucas' voice. 

"Huh, Marquis?" 

Elena's heart began to beat violently. Only then did she relax her body and quietly follow Lucas. 

'You've finally come to me.' 

Lucas had not been in contact since that day when a special report was published in the damned newspaper, <Empire's Morning>. 

Shocked, Elena sent him letters, but he remained silent, and she even visited the Marquis' residence once...

"You cheap witch-like bitch! You bewitched our son with your filthy body, and now where the hell do you think you are!"

The Marquis, who had a cast on her neck, was kicked out while being cursed at by the Marchioness. She had to endure the scandal together, but alone. It was an unbearably sad day for Elena. However, Lucas could not abandon her forever. 

'Well, the Marquis probably needed time to get his mind together.' 

Lucas let go of Elena's wrist only after entering a deserted alley. Elena lowered her eyelashes as she had planned and bit her lower lip pitifully. Tears fell like beads as she thought about the sad past. 

"Marquis, I was really scared-." 

"Damn it, Elena!"

Elena's shoulders flinched at the thunderous shout. 

"You're out and about at a time like this. Are you in your right mind or not?" 

Elena looked up at Lucas with eyes of disbelief. 

"Are you... angry at me right now?" 

"You should have just stayed home and hidden instead of going around and causing trouble!" 

"I'm going to somehow explain to people and restore our reputations...!" 

"What's the point of explaining! Everyone saw the article. And that damn song made us a complete laughingstock. Do you think explaining verbally would have any effect in this situation?" 

Elena bit her trembling lips.

True to his words, all she'd been subjected to was laughter all day. But shouldn't Lucas be criticizing her like this? Of all people, Lucas. 

"I..." 

Lucas clicked his tongue softly as Elena trembled. 

"Haa... Damn it."

Then he quickly hugged Elena's shoulders.

Elena, who collapsed into his embrace, hugged Lucas' waist tightly. 

"Listen carefully, Elena." 

Lucas hugged Elena tightly and whispered in her ear. Elena nodded quickly. As expected, Lucas had some kind of plan. 

'Of course. He's the Marquis Pedegrin.'

She didn't know how fortunate it was that the person she was involved in the scandal with was Lucas. As the head of a prestigious family, he would know how to overcome this crisis. 

Lucas tucked Elena's hair behind her ear. Elena, with her eyes closed, rubbed her cheek against his touch like an adorable puppy. 

"There is one way to survive." 

Lucas whispered into her ear, which was exposed through her hair. 

*** 

"Miss, miss!" 

I looked back. Sophie was breathing hard, her face as excited as a squirrel that had found a sunflower seed. 

"What's the matter, Sophie? Why did you come running?"

"I was on my way back from Rue Alizee as you sent me on an errand, and I met Lina on my way back. Oh, Lina is my hometown friend, and she's currently working in a costume shop. But today. Sophie stopped talking for a moment after saying that. She was quite an excellent storyteller. "Today?" "I saw Miss Elena!" 

I hesitated at the familiar name. Sophie couldn't hold back her laughter and continued. According to a friend named Lina, Elena had stopped by the dress shop today and pretended to know a certain Countess, but was coldly ignored. Sophie giggled as she proudly performed the fanning gesture that the Countess had done. 

"But that wasn't the end. She was asked to pay for the dress in front of all those people?" 

".. Really?" 

I slowly rubbed my forehead. It was obvious what had happened. Edward must have filled his vanity with material things as soon as he heard the news that the tickets were sold out. I could vividly imagine Elena clinging to him and getting the dress and jewels. But all the luxuries he had bought back then would probably have to be sold off by now. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to pay the refund. 

"She hurriedly left the shop like a debt collector being chased. Hehehe!" 

Sophie rubbed her palms as if she was satisfied just thinking about it. A mean smile was incongruously applied to her young face. Elena's reputation had plummeted to the bottom. The child's dream wasn't simply to become the best soprano in the system. That was just a means. To live as a flower among flowers that dominates the social world and have followers as if showing off. That was Elena's true goal. 

However, the moment the article came out, her once bustling followers disappeared like snow on a summer day. 

'Are you going to despair and give up?' 

That couldn't be happening. The Elena I knew was a more vicious and strong child. It was such a blessing. Just seeing your despairing face once...

"Can't you just let the child in my belly be your sister's child?" 

"If Ariana dies, who will compose my songs?! What about the funds for building heaven!"

My anger won't subside. 

"It's not over yet, miss. There's more to the story." 

Sophie finished her story with a proud expression like a fisherman who caught a moonfish. 

"Lina said that she saw a man appear near the costume shop, grab Miss Elena by the wrist, and drag her away. He covered his face, but she could see a little bit of red hair." 

"It must be Lucas." 

Sophie nodded vigorously. 

"What on earth did they talk about? Did they discuss countermeasures?" 

"Well. If that was the case, he wouldn't have grabbed her by the wrist and dragged her away." 

"You're right." 

Sophie agreed, her eyes widening. 

"I heard that the atmosphere was quite tense. Did he drag Miss Elena away and fight her?" 

"Well." 

I laughed lightly. A high-ranking nobleman who had a dirty scandal with a woman of lower status than him. What would a normal nobleman, or rather, Lucas, do in this situation? What did he whisper in her ear after dragging his mistress away with such fierce momentum? 

'I can guess.'

"Just wait a minute, Sophie." 

I walked to the table, took out a piece of stationery, and ran a pen over it. Then I folded the letter carefully and handed it to Sophie. 

"When you return to Count Lopez's residence, will you give this to Wilhelm?" 

"Yes, my lady." 

Sophie nodded with a solemn face. Sophie had only stopped by the Duke's residence to run an errand for me and was still working at the Lopez mansion. It was because of a favor I had given her. 

"But do you have anything else to do, my lady? You're still wearing your indoor dress." 

"Ah." 

I nodded lightly.

Now that I think about it, it was time for the sun to set. I looked back at the window and saw that the light was on in the window beyond. 

"I have a place to stop by." 

"On an evening like this? Where are you going?"

Sophie asked with wide eyes. I opened my mouth as if it was nothing special. 

"I'm going to see His Highness the Duke."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments